Greencard lottery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read some information about the greencard lottery but there is one detail I don't understand.

If you win and apply for a greencard do you have to go to the USA directly or can you wait several years before you go? If so, how many years can you wait? Also, does the greencard last forever and if not, is it hard to renew?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I read some information about the greencard lottery but there is one detail I don't understand.

If you win and apply for a greencard do you have to go to the USA directly or can you wait several years before you go? If so, how many years can you wait? Also, does the greencard last forever and if not, is it hard to renew?

Thanks.

They give you a certain amount of time to move to the US. So yes, it does expire. How long, I don't really know. Look at the immigration website to find out more.

You have to become a permanent resident within 1 year of winning the lottery (if you just come to get the PR card, return to you home country for a couple of years, you will be denied entry as you abandoned you permanent residence).

If you still have school to finish, consider coming to the US for a year or two on your green-card, then obtain a 're-entry permit' and go home to finish school. If you maintain a residence (mailing address+bank account) in the US and you time abroad is time-limited from the start, this approach would allow you to take advantage of your lottery GC AND finish school.

The regular green-card has a 10 year face validity. If you remain in the US during that time, renewal is a formality (online form, payment with credit-card). Even if you don't renew the actual plastic card (which at times is actually iridescent pink and not green), your 'status' will remain 'permanent resident' as long as you stay in the US (there are people living in the US who haven't renewed their card for 40 years).

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you speak with an immigration lawyer. You are on a Medical student / Resident website. No one in here really knows the answer to this question. It is all speculation.

Would you ask you car mechanic if you should have a cardiac bypass?