Greenfield vs Sabiston vs Schwartz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one to pick up first going into the 1st year? My hospital provides the ACS book

Could anyone compare the relative pros and cons of each

Members don't see this ad.

i recently had that question myself, if you read through the surgical books thread, i think you will get multiple opinions on all those books and get some pretty good conclusions

Well thats what I did...but there were good reviews for all 3, with individual preferences....how do i go about deciding

Members don't see this ad :)
what i took away from the thread.

camerons is the best for actually reading.

sabiston's is the best refference, while greenfileds is a close second.

The advice that was given to me by senior residents:

Read Greenfield and Sabiston by end of third yr (ideally)

On ward use Cameron and Mastery to prepare for each case.

Obviously the general advice is the read, read, read...

Good luck!!!

what i took away from the thread.

camerons is the best for actually reading.

sabiston's is the best refference, while greenfileds is a close second.

hmmm I thought it was mentioned that CAMERON is an easy read, but on the other hand was also mentioned that it is good for 3rd year onwards. Why should an easy read not be meant for PGY1 and 2?

many people recommended GREENFIELD'S basic sceince section for absite, while praised SABISTON's photos. why the price difference between them is so much?

the prices are about the same, i think when u looked up greenfiled, you got "the greenfiled solution" which is the book plus online access to videos, questions, graphs, ect. both books without online editions ect are 170-180$

Which one to pick up first going into the 1st year? My hospital provides the ACS book

Could anyone compare the relative pros and cons of each

If your residency program uses one of the big three (Schwartz, Sabiston or Greenfield) then go with the book that your program uses in their educational sessions. If not, then go to a medical bookstore and look at each one. Pick the one that you like best.

My base book is Sabiston. I loved the illustration and many of the authors are faculty (or former residents) at my program. I also have Cameron too. I find Sabiston an easy read with good illustrations. I also give the specialties section here a bit of an edge.

Greenfield covers the basic sciences the best of the three and was the last to be updated. Again, no real weaknesses in this book and it's popular with many programs.

Schwartz has been recently updated (the same year as Sabiston). In my opinion, this text doesn't read as nicely as the other two and was my least favorite (pictures were as nice in my opinion). Again, this book is quite comparable to the others but I was raised on Sabiston since medical school. Great coverage of both basic and clinical science and popular with many programs.

All three texts have accompaning question books and on line versions so no differences there. It comes down to which book appeals to you on a personal level.

I use Cameron's because of its emphasis on handling clinical situations. It has been my major read for the senior-level ABSITE exam each year and thus my copy is pretty marked up.

No real cons with any of the above books and the pros are strictly personal preferences. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these. :thumbup: