Greetings and an Introduction

Started by JFitzDela
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JFitzDela

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings, all! I found this community a few days ago through Google Reader. Dangit if Google isn't going to take over the world....

In any case, I am yet another non-trad preparing to begin a medical career. Currently, I am married to a wonderful woman and my high-school sweetheart, and we are stationed at Malmstrom AFB, MT where I am serving as a USAF nuclear missile launch officer.

I graduated in 2006 with a BS in Computer Science and have 3 of my pre-reqs done, though I'll probably retake the first chem course, as it was my last summer semester and I just wanted to graduate.

I started college as a pre-med but quickly dropped that minor as I was required to get the CS degree, had AFROTC training, and worked part-/full-time throughout college and just couldn't stay focused on it.

I look forward to more discussion with the folks of this community as I pursue my long-time dream of serving as a physician (and not a killer of worlds...).

- John
 
Let me be the first to welcome you to our little side of SDN. Grab a burger (I made them myself) and enjoy the ride. In the short time I've been on the boards I've found a lot of neat and intresting people.

I'm working on getting a BA degree and getting most of my pre-req's that way. Who thought at age 31 I would still be in College.

Werlcome aboard and hope you enjoy your time here and the burger,

Mr. Beef
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Holy crap, a fellow Malmstrom guy.
I'm a 2M0X1 over in the E-Lab, doing my pre-med stuff at UGF.
You're in a great place to knock out prereqs, being a capsule jock. Unfortunately, UGF is the only place in town to take the science classes. It's pretty expensive and the classes are staggered because it's such a small school.
I definately feel what you're saying about wanting to genuinely do something good for people instead of just have people tell you that you are.
How'd you like Vandenburg?
 
Holy crap, a fellow Malmstrom guy.
I'm a 2M0X1 over in the E-Lab, doing my pre-med stuff at UGF.
You're in a great place to knock out prereqs, being a capsule jock. Unfortunately, UGF is the only place in town to take the science classes. It's pretty expensive and the classes are staggered because it's such a small school.
I definately feel what you're saying about wanting to genuinely do something good for people instead of just have people tell you that you are.
How'd you like Vandenburg?

Yeah, I've been looking at UGF. Hoping to start OChem this Fall and Chem and OChem II next Spring, but don't know if the schedule will work. I'm not actually pulling alert right now -- I began developing migraine headaches in February after the MSET and they've been at a steady 1-2 every two weeks since -- may never pull one again.

Vandenberg was awesome, but I never felt like anything but a tourist. Still, seeing Hollywood and the wine country was a great experience. Good luck to you!

- John

Edit: Oh yeah -- does UGF even offer the physics courses? Didn't see them...
 
I believe they only offer physics every other academic year :/

What do they have you doing since you can't pull alerts? Your milage may vary, but I had a really aggrevating time trying to get time away from work to take classes in the day... one of the main reasons I took the option to separate early so I can start school full-time next month.
That sucks about your headaches. MSETs are miserable enough here in maintenance, I can't imagine how much crap you guys have to endure in ops.
 
Last edited:
Currently (as in right now) I'm working in Command Post. Medical retirement is a possibility as is being PCS'd (hopefully to Eglin or Patrick if I'm still Space qualified). I'm looking to separate as soon as possible, anyway, for familial reasons, both on my wife's side and my own.

And indeed, any inspection sucks for every side. I dealt with 4 inspection teams (OPs, safety, security forces, and comm) over the course of one 3-day alert and then returned home to take an EWO test the following morning with no prep. Fun times!

Congrats on hitting school full time! Good luck!

- J
 
I'm working on getting a BA degree and getting most of my pre-req's that way. Who thought at age 31 I would still be in College.

Hello, i was amazed they had this for non-trads.I was feeling really old seeing the graduation dates on the posts..I got my undergrad from Uof Alabama (rollll tide!!)and proceeded to spend the next years doing nothing realted to my degree in any way.I had been semi decided on pre-med back then .Last year i got tired of wishing if only and decided to take my love of pharmacy and am confident I will succeed. I am deciding what courses to take this summer to improve my calculus and have gotten experience I love .I am gald to read and learn from these posts .My decision to take the PCAT or stay in school another semester .I am so surprised that the pre med is so similar to to pre- pharmacy .Anyway ,you all inspire me when i got frustrated this weekend thinking its crazy to go back for something this big at 33.