greyhounds and muzzles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostbunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a random question that I wasn't able to find a suitable answer to...

I was watching a greyhound race the other week and, as we know, they wear muzzles. I thought this was just to keep everyone happy during the race, if anyone gets overzealous, the muzzle will be there to protect the dogs... but at the end of one race all the dogs jumped on the fuzzy 'rabbit' and one had a hold of it and was happily attacking it.

So my question is, if the dog can still grasp and bite with the muzzle on, whats the point of it?

Members don't see this ad.

Just guessing that maybe it can grab something like the fuzzy rabbit, but can't grab, say, another racemate's leg?

AFAIK, most modern muzzles allow enough motion so the animal can eat/drink, but don't allow so much that they can bite each other or cause injury.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently adopted an off track greyhound (I guess they call them retired racers; but in the horse world it's off track). Greyhounds have extremely thin skin that tears easily even if the hounds are just playing together. They keep them muzzled most of the time: in the exercise pen when the dogs are loose to keep them from play-biting, during the races to protect each other but mostly to make clear photo-finishes, and even in the kennel a lot of the time because they tend to chew on their metal cages/bedding etc.

The muzzles are large, basket-style muzzles so they are meant to be able to open their mouths and eat/drink through them. The racing muzzle tends to be a little more solid than their everyday muzzle, but both are lightweight and usually padded.

My greyhound came with his old track muzzle. They recommend putting it on them if they are playing with other sighthounds for the above reasons. I haven't felt it necessary but I guess it's nice if the dog is overly mouthy. It can serve nicely when introducing hounds to cats and other small animals.

The following link is to a great photo-tour of racing greyhound lives. I found it very informative when I was researching greyhounds before I adopted. And for a shameless plug, my greyhound is the greatest pet and I highly recommend them for vet/pre-vet students because they are very low-maintenance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazzleme/sets/72157627145032411/with/5970627686/

Last edited:
Hm thanks everyone! And about the link/pics GreyMatter17 the muzzles are like this:

australian-wire-racing-muzzle.jpg

(sorry, I couldn't find a less pathetic looking face lol)

So he could still get 'out' of it a little just enough to kill the rabbit... maybe it was just an ill-fitting muzzle! Oh well he was still cute.

thanks!! :)

I recently adopted an off track greyhound (I guess they call them retired racers; but in the horse world it's off track). Greyhounds have extremely thin skin that tears easily even if the hounds are just playing together. They keep them muzzled most of the time: in the exercise pen when the dogs are loose to keep them from play-biting, during the races to protect each other but mostly to make clear photo-finishes, and even in the kennel a lot of the time because they tend to chew on their metal cages/bedding etc.

The muzzles are large, basket-style muzzles so they are meant to be able to open their mouths and eat/drink through them. The racing muzzle tends to be a little more solid than their everyday muzzle, but both are lightweight and usually padded.

My greyhound came with his old track muzzle. They recommend putting it on them if they are playing with other sighthounds for the above reasons. I haven't felt it necessary but I guess it's nice if the dog is overly mouthy. It can serve nicely when introducing hounds to cats and other small animals.

The following link is to a great photo-tour of racing greyhound lives. I found it very informative when I was researching greyhounds before I adopted. And for a shameless plug, my greyhound is the greatest pet and I highly recommend them for vet/pre-vet students because they are very low-maintenance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazzleme/sets/72157627145032411/with/5970627686/

Thanks for this .. great pix and story! i've always wanted to adopt one and this one is pushing me to do so even more. How is your greyhound's temperament? In general, are they good boys and girls?

I worked on a greyhound ranch and helped train and raise race dogs there. They were to wear a muzzle at all times when in groups. The only time they did not was in the welping pen(as pups or bitches) or in their individual kennels. One playful nip to another's hindquarters can affect their racing. I assure you though, they are not aggressive just very VERY hyper. They are also treated very well, and they love what they do!

Thanks for this .. great pix and story! i've always wanted to adopt one and this one is pushing me to do so even more. How is your greyhound's temperament? In general, are they good boys and girls?

I worked with a retired racers group for a while and I have had a greyhound for about 4 years. He is the love of my life. He is the sweetest, most quiet dog I have ever owned. He is very laid back, but he can be playful too. He sleeps most of the day, and only has a few "hyper" moments. Everyone who gets to know him wants to dognap him from me. I have a few friends that look after him for me when I travel and they literally call me to find out when they can watch Leo again. The only issue I ever had to work through with him was separation anxiety. I hear that it can be common-ish within the breed.

I worked on a greyhound ranch and helped train and raise race dogs there. They were to wear a muzzle at all times when in groups. The only time they did not was in the welping pen(as pups or bitches) or in their individual kennels. One playful nip to another's hindquarters can affect their racing. I assure you though, they are not aggressive just very VERY hyper. They are also treated very well, and they love what they do!

When I was working with the retired racers, we occasionally got a hyper dog (usually under the age of 2), but overall, once they are done racing, they tend to be very quiet. When you turn them loose, sure, they will go tearing around the yard, but they are done after a few laps.