Grey's Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
May I just say how sad it is that the first time an anesthesiologist appears on this damn show, he is a total a ss and abandons his patient in the OR.

Members don't see this ad.

supahfresh said:
May I just say how sad it is that the first time an anesthesiologist appears on this damn show, he is a total a ss and abandons his patient in the OR.

Don't know much about the show, and didnt see todays - but I believe (recalling previous posts) that this is not the first time, cause the anesthesiologist in a previous episode fell asleep.

CODE BLACK! lol

last time we had a code black at this hospital it was because of a massive water main break. ORs and the ED had to effectively shut down for several hours.

*the horror*

Members don't see this ad :)
lifestyle specialty

yup this is the second time that an anesthesiologist is depicted as a sshole on this show. Yes, teh first time the dude fell asleep....the ASA apparently wrote a ltter to the network (great job that did).

yes, this is the second time ever that i've seen this show and yes, the anesthesiologists abandons the pt on the table (because there is an explosive inside the pts body which apparntly a paramedic is preventing from exploding by holding it in her hand). In teh scene the anesthesiologist asks the paramedic to ambu the pt and then sneekily leaves. Don tknow this is a hard decision etc. BUT...to deceive the paramedic and tell her to ambu 'just for sec' so that he can relief himself of ambuing and run out of the OR is a clear malrepresentation of an anesthesiologist (who is supposed to be vigilant).

Yes, i sense another angered letter from the ASA goign to the network.

Yet another reason for me not to watch this show :thumbdown: ...in addition to the fact that it's one of the most mindless, poorly written pieces of drivel on TV these days.

I was so disappointed. Granted, the other anesthesiologist did stay put (the one in the crani), but come on! At least make him have a heart attack or seizure or something. But to just up and leave!

supahfresh said:

that is not a good representation of anethes in general or doctors. i tried to watch the show for the first time today, and after a few min i couldnt. it just seemed porrly written and rushed as well to dramatize and glamorize the masses

He says, "I've got kids" and bolts.

Sorry....I found the show hilarious. Please - where is your humor from some of your other threads? Yeah the show is drivel, but its only meant to entertain. And shows make fun of all health folks - earlier in the season, one of the nurses passed syphillis to a resident which caused them to all line up for testing! On Desperate Housewives (another really nutty show), the pharmacist (thank you very much!) killed the MD by misfilling his rx so he could make a play for the MD's wife. Do you really think there is a "House" in real life who chomps Vicodins & saves the day? Don't forget Little Shop of Horrors - makes my dentist husband laugh endlessly. I can only speak for myself, but it did make me laugh (which I think was the intent).

Maybe he was really a CRNA who was being called "Doctor" because the dude obtained a Doctor of Chiropracty before becoming a nurse? The AANA should definitely write to ABC about this!

The first was when the female surgeon in labor said that an epidural increases her chance of having a section -- NOT TRUE, per the evidence and a lecture I heard on my ob anesthesia rotation at UCSF. So there.

wasn't it the same anestesiologist that both fell asleep before, and now walks off because he's scared of a little bazooka shell?
he's totally not getting a kudos from me

Members don't see this ad :)
chinochulo said:
Hey,
don't know about y'all, but I watch the show for the chicks--and no, I don't mean the Korean one. :D

I can't stand Merideth Gray. I kind of hope she doesn't survive next week's episode. I cannot stand this show, and yet I watch it every Sunday. I've said too much.

i tried watching the show on two separate occassions, but I personally think it's a poorly written show with bad acting. the asian girl, who was equally bad in a movie i saw her in [forgot the name of the movie. it was bout some dudes that go on a wine-tasting road trip] just doesn't sell me the acting.

ThinkFast007 said:
yup this is the second time that an anesthesiologist is depicted as a sshole on this show. Yes, teh first time the dude fell asleep....the ASA apparently wrote a ltter to the network (great job that did).

Yeah, he's an alcoholic and was actually drunk in that episode. Man, they are just out to get you guys!

Sodak said:
Maybe he was really a CRNA who was being called "Doctor" because the dude obtained a Doctor of Chiropracty before becoming a nurse? The AANA should definitely write to ABC about this!

:laugh:

MedicinePowder said:
i tried watching the show on two separate occassions, but I personally think it's a poorly written show with bad acting. the asian girl, who was equally bad in a movie i saw her in [forgot the name of the movie. it was bout some dudes that go on a wine-tasting road trip] just doesn't sell me the acting.

The movie is Sideways

MedicinePowder said:

The movie is Sideways; the actress Sandra Oh...

SexPanther said:
I can't stand Merideth Gray. I kind of hope she doesn't survive next week's episode. I cannot stand this show, and yet I watch it every Sunday. I've said too much.
Why does she always look like she just woke up and got punched in the face? Even in real life.

yes, sideways is the name of that movie. i would love to see that chick get smoked by the bomb, but they'll never kill off their lead actress.

why can't they show a difficult intubation or something of the sort? they must have surgeon writers.

supahfresh said:
yes, sideways is the name of that movie. i would love to see that chick get smoked by the bomb, but they'll never kill off their lead actress.

why can't they show a difficult intubation or something of the sort? they must have surgeon writers.

An ER doc writes it.

VolatileAgent said:
i didnt watch the show today (well i never watch it ...except last week).

i really dont think the ASA writing a letter is going to do much. it's obvious that the previous letter didnt do much. man, i wish they would have stepped it up....

ThinkFast007 said:
man, i wish they would have stepped it up....

and did what exactly? not much more they can do, imho. they offered to help consult for the show, a fictional program which is entirely and completely a bad caricature of what really happens in the hospital. i think that's pretty generous. it is indeed sad that millions of people viewing this program will actually believe that this is standard operating procedure in the hospital.

:(

sure it's just a 'show'....but stupid things like this are what can taint images. The old saying, "throw mud enough times on the wall, and it'll stick".

I mean med students have already asked me a few times "oh did u see grey's anatomy last week, and see what the anesthesiologists did". Sure, theyre only med students....but think of what the general public think.

i'm sure since this is the SECOND time....couldnt the ASA round up a lawyer that could call this 'slander'.

long shot i know....

but WTF :mad:

cchoukal said:
and on last night's show, they all called him a coward. Nice.

Also when Bailey's husband suffers from a cardiac arrest intra op the anesthesiologist is no where to be found and the code is run by the surgeon(Shepard)!!!,amazingly superb :eek:

I wish people would stop watching such crap already.. it is as good as the OC in terms of its entertainment value and plotlines. Grey's Anatomy is pure crap. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Daredevil said:
I wish people would stop watching such crap already.. it is as good as the OC in terms of its entertainment value and plotlines. Grey's Anatomy is pure crap. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Pure crap makes the best TV! I try to watch it every week. I wonder if there is a bomb squad forum or a paramedic forum where everyone is complaining about their poor representation on Grey's Anatomy. Or a home bomb building forum (there actually are a number of those I bet!).

Sugar72 said:
Pure crap makes the best TV! I try to watch it every week. I wonder if there is a bomb squad forum or a paramedic forum where everyone is complaining about their poor representation on Grey's Anatomy. Or a home bomb building forum (there actually are a number of those I bet!).

That's hilarious Sugar- especially the home bomb building forum!!! I love people with a little perspective! :laugh:

Is it wrong for a doctor to put his/her children as top priority?....especially over a situation in which a man decides to replace his internal organs with a home- made bomb, occumpanied by a paramedic that likes to shove her hands into a man's thoracic cavity to fondle his organs? The only person that had any sense in that damn show was the anesthesiologist....who finally realized the idiocracy of the situation/show and decided to not take part

BlockThis said:
Is it wrong for a doctor to put his/her children as top priority?....especially over a situation in which a man decides to replace his internal organs with a home- made bomb, occumpanied by a paramedic that likes to shove her hands into a man's thoracic cavity to fondle his organs? The only person that had any sense in that damn show was the anesthesiologist....who finally realized the idiocracy of the situation/show and decided to not take part
Idiocracy? Is that like a stupid government? :laugh:

BlockThis said:
Is it wrong for a doctor to put his/her children as top priority?....especially over a situation in which a man decides to replace his internal organs with a home- made bomb, occumpanied

Iz that wurd from the Inglish lannguage?

i heart izzy

:love: :love: :love:

lvspro said:
An ER doc writes it.

Umm, no. If an EP wrote it, the surgical interns would not be going to the ED, snagging all of the procedures, running the EMS calls, intubating (heck, we hate if you guys come down and steal 'tubes - we'd NEVER allow surgeons to do so), and referring to the EM residents as (and I quote) "incompetent idiots". No, we get it as much as you on the show.

- H

The show is crap. It is chock-full of old stereotypical medical heroics by surgeons (of course). Residents never do what they are told-at my place you do exactly as you are told or your a$$ is grass. Anesthesiologists are in the background, and several residents look more like stoners than physicians in training. Characters spout off medical information and terminology, yet half of it completely wrong, as pointed out before.

I think the show is ridiculous and I am disappointed that so many people 'out there' think it is incredible. I guess in TV you can't go wrong with 'sexy' educated people with wild and prestigious careers who are 'doing the nasty' when all hell breaks loose.
:thumbdown:

It's FUNNY. Lighten up. It doesn't have to be realistic, and I don't scrutinize the details about how they act compared to physicians in the real world. So relax, watch it, and accept it for what it is: Pure entertainment.

eagle26 said:
It's FUNNY. Lighten up. It doesn't have to be realistic, and I don't scrutinize the details about how they act compared to physicians in the real world. So relax, watch it, and accept it for what it is: Pure entertainment.

No kidding dude, think about how f'ing boring a real doctor show would be. The surgeons get to the hospital at 5 am round on their pts and write brief notes. Then they go to the cafeteria and get cofee. Then the R5 and R3 go to the OR and stand there for 10 hours straight cutting and stitching bowel and hernias and nonemergent crap like that. meanwhile the intern is working the floor, ordering more vicodin for Mr. Jones and trying to find transportation for Mrs Smith so she can get the hell out of the hospital. Then at the end of the day the R5 bitches out the intern for not getting enough **** done on the floor and goes home. The intern stays on call and at 3 am gets an emergent appendectomy after seeing twelve "acute" abdomens. Wow!

FoughtFyr said:
Umm, no. If an EP wrote it, the surgical interns would not be going to the ED, snagging all of the procedures, running the EMS calls, intubating (heck, we hate if you guys come down and steal 'tubes - we'd NEVER allow surgeons to do so), and referring to the EM residents as (and I quote) "incompetent idiots". No, we get it as much as you on the show.

- H

Never speak to your daddy in that tone of voice.

http://www.cep.com/news/KPikeMediaRelease.asp

:D

lvspro said:
Never speak to your daddy in that tone of voice.

http://www.cep.com/news/KPikeMediaRelease.asp

:D

From your source son :eek: :"She says this can be tricky because the networks and writers have specific ideas on how they want the scripts to be, sometimes regardless of medical accuracy.

'You have to work within these restrictions,' she explains. 'However, the writers are committed to making the show as realistic as possible, and they are always open to my feedback.'"

There is a difference between being a writer and a consultant. I've known, and worked with, many of the firefighters who were credited consultants for the movie "Backdraft". Most of their "help" was disregarded. Once again, Grey's Anatomy is not written by an EP.

- H

hey did you guys catch the episode of house yesterday? house told the gas man what to do and he got all upset but followed his demands, then told the family behind his back like a little girl. he did at least look out for the interests of the patient this time though.

FoughtFyr said:
From your source son :eek: :"She says this can be tricky because the networks and writers have specific ideas on how they want the scripts to be, sometimes regardless of medical accuracy.

'You have to work within these restrictions,' she explains. 'However, the writers are committed to making the show as realistic as possible, and they are always open to my feedback.'"

There is a difference between being a writer and a consultant. I've known, and worked with, many of the firefighters who were credited consultants for the movie "Backdraft". Most of their "help" was disregarded. Once again, Grey's Anatomy is not written by an EP.

- H

That tone will not be tolerated in my house!

An excerpt directly from the GA homepage

"Shonda Rhimes (Introducing Dorothy Dandridge) is creator and executive producer. Mark Gordon (Saving Private Ryan), Betsy Beers (200 Cigarettes) and Jim Parriott (The American Embassy) are executive producers. Peter Horton is co-executive producer. Grey's Anatomy is a Touchstone Television Production."

btw... don't take my comments too seriously, I'm just goofin on ya a little. :D

lvspro said:
That tone will not be tolerated in my house!

An excerpt directly from the GA homepage

"Shonda Rhimes (Introducing Dorothy Dandridge) is creator and executive producer. Mark Gordon (Saving Private Ryan), Betsy Beers (200 Cigarettes) and Jim Parriott (The American Embassy) are executive producers. Peter Horton is co-executive producer. Grey's Anatomy is a Touchstone Television Production."

Yeah, and...

Ms. Rhimes is not an EP. To quote her from an article in Ebony Magazine:
""I'm a medical junkie," says Rhimes, who created the series and also serves as writer and executive producer. "I love to watch all those surgeries on the Discovery Channel and TLC (The Learning Channel). And I thought there was something really sexy about surgery in the sense that they're kind of cowboys. It's the only job where you literally hold a beat of a heart in your hands. On a bad day, you'll kill someone, and on a good day you save lives."

Rhimes, a 30something Chicago native, points out that she got a chance to go into hospitals and observe surgeries taking place. "I thought that was thrilling! When you're standing over a table and looking into someone's body, you can be so fascinated by the workings of the human body."

Grey's Anatomy is literally her product from start to finish. She offers that a movie is a director's product for the public. "If you watch a movie that I've written [she's scripted numerous hit movies], chances are it's not what was in my head. It's what's in the director's head. That's not a bad thing, but with this show, every episode is what was in my head. So, I feel very gratified creatively."

Sure, the series is a collaborative effort, but Rhimes still has the ultimate say. She approves the scripts from the writers, participates in the casting and selects all the music used in the show."​

lvspro said:
btw... don't take my comments too seriously, I'm just goofin on ya a little. :D

I don't. I feel sorry for you folks that have to be up so early every morning. I realize that not seeing your family as often as you'd like leaves you looking for surrogates. So, I've decided - if you are willing to help me with some student loan debt, I'd be happy to call you "Dear Ol' Dad"! :laugh:

- H

i think anesthesia is sexier than surgery............ :confused:

that asian lady in the show is a real dog, how did she get work as an actress?
is she a scientologist or something? i mean she is really repungnant, there are hotter asian chicks out there

hey, maybe you could be the next medical consultant to the show...you could judge all the asian actors on their attractiveness and decide which ONE gets the job. it won't take long since hollywood has about 0 time in general for actors that veer too far from looking alike, so there can't be too many asian ones. this is where you come in: you find the hot ones! once you find an asian chic who looks hotter than that other one, they could make a clean trade. sounds like a great job for a great mind!

fre****y said:
hey, maybe you could be the next medical consultant to the show...you could judge all the asian actors on their attractiveness and decide which ONE gets the job. it won't take long since hollywood has about 0 time in general for actors that veer too far from looking alike, so there can't be too many asian ones. this is where you come in: you find the hot ones! once you find an asian chic who looks hotter than that other one, they could make a clean trade. sounds like a great job for a great mind!

just go to hot import nights and find some model