Grey's Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lady Tokimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone watched Grey's Anatomy (the TV series)? Just wondering if those interns are tryin to get a spot in the ER or are they trying to be surgeons?? Or many ER surgeons?

Members don't see this ad.

Dont forget the Neonatology they do and some OB/GYN Surg etc... Honestly as I have stated before I really dislike that show.. Mrs Fetus on the other hand doesnt share my feelings...

I suffer... but she is worth the Sunday night (when the NFL isnt on) suffering..

EctopicFetus said:
Dont forget the Neonatology they do and some OB/GYN Surg etc... Honestly as I have stated before I really dislike that show.. Mrs Fetus on the other hand doesnt share my feelings...

I suffer... but she is worth the Sunday night (when the NFL isnt on) suffering..

:laugh: :laugh:

I managed to get out of my Sunday Night Suffering (Desperate Housewives). Crossing Jordan for the win.

Members don't see this ad :)
EctopicFetus said:

An accurate portrayal of surgery interns on TV would be rather dull. Who would want to watch a stressed out cranky intern sit and write 20 progress notes all day?

GeneralVeers said:
An accurate portrayal of surgery interns on TV would be rather dull. Who would want to watch a stressed out cranky intern sit and write 20 progress notes all day?

The show is allright, but I agree with fetus. I remember the first episode where that mean "only 2nd or 3rd year resident" said during a mass casuality thing "Hurry up and take the patients, the ER interns don't know their asses from their faces"... hahahha, like the surgery interns are all of a sudden trauma experts with the same amount of training as the er interns at that point. I know I know its not supposed to be real, but really there are a few things in there that are just not right. I'm kind of two-faced, because I do like House, and they are internal medicine docs (some of them specialized) who do retinal biopsies. I can't wait to do my first retinal biopsy.

they should have a show about path.. they have so much drama and yip-yap on their forums :)

RayF said:
they should have a show about path.. they have so much drama and yip-yap on their forums :)

I've actually thought one market that hasnt' been exploided is a psych show. Come on, all my good stories are from my 2 months in psych rotation haha, I'm sure they can come up with some kind of freud show....

I was wondering how all these surgery residents, PGY 1 have time to go clubbing and having fun all the time!?! I know it's a show, but should be a little bit more into the real deal :cool:

24SWISS said:
I was wondering how all these surgery residents, PGY 1 have time to go clubbing and having fun all the time!?! I know it's a show, but should be a little bit more into the real deal :cool:

And isn't it convenient that all five of them get off at the same time every night to make it to (whats his names) bar? Pretty sweet, too, how they have the stamina to throw down a few after every shift. I hope I'm that cool and carefree when I'm an intern...

SanDiegoSOD said:
And isn't it convenient that all five of them get off at the same time every night to make it to (whats his names) bar? Pretty sweet, too, how they have the stamina to throw down a few after every shift. I hope I'm that cool and carefree when I'm an intern...

You will be. No matter how tried and run down I feel after a shift......I can always drink.

Lady Tokimi said:
Has anyone watched Grey's Anatomy (the TV series)? Just wondering if those interns are tryin to get a spot in the ER or are they trying to be surgeons?? Or many ER surgeons?

They are general surgery residents.

The show is written by a woman, and is meant to focus on the relationships, and not the medicine.

Thus, why I no longer watch it.

RayF said:
Isnt Bones about Pathology (coroner's office) and so is Crossing Jordan..

Just putting it out there.. We got ER though.. what a long running drama...

EctopicFetus said:
Isnt Bones about Pathology (coroner's office) and so is Crossing Jordan..

Just putting it out there.. We got ER though.. what a long running drama...

Bones is about a Ph.D. Forensic Anthropologist who thinks she's a police detective.

Crossing Jordan is about an M.D. Forensic Pathologist who thinks she's a police detective.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
The show is written by a woman, and is meant to focus on the relationships, and not the medicine.

Thus, why I no longer watch it.

I watched the show for the first half of the first season, until I realized that watching the show was like watching an hour long Meg Ryan movie every Sunday evening. Except that instead of starring one bad female lead, it starred three bad female leads.

SanDiegoSOD said:
I watched the show for the first half of the first season, until I realized that watching the show was like watching an hour long Meg Ryan movie every Sunday evening. Except that instead of starring one bad female lead, it starred three bad female leads.

4 if you count the guy who would have never been accepted into a surgical residency, based on his feminine personality.

OSUdoc08 said:
Bones is about a Ph.D. Forensic Anthropologist who thinks she's a police detective.

Crossing Jordan is about an M.D. Forensic Pathologist who thinks she's a police detective.
Hence I asked.. anyways 1 out of 2 isnt bad considering I dont watch either of them :D

Yeah :p definitely not watching Grey's anymore , I didn't realize it was written by a woman there we gooooo with "let's all be one happy sticky family" :D . You can't be all sweet and charming after a shift , and what's with the residents sleeping with everyone that comes to their eye range? I'm not sure if you even have time to do this hahahaha :laugh:

the entertainment value is still there in the show which is why its able to pull so many viewers. The only thing that annoys me is when "meredith" repeatedly takes these asthmatic like breaths before each sentence. How she became the lead female actress on the show is beyond me because she is the most annoying IMO

Watching it in German is much better..........Then you are learning something while watching pointless crap. Gray's and ER, while I never watch at home, are somehow much more entertaining here..mainly because German Television is crap. Except for Galileo because they show you how they make all sorts of cool stuff. I think they should have a series starring a Radiologist. Oh the wackiness events that would occur there......or perhaps ophtamology. I hear they can be quite the sluts as well.

EctopicFetus said:

It's the same in most shows. Look at ER, and all of the crazy procedures the EPs were doing.

Has anyone noticed that on House, whenever a patient is undergoing surgery they aren't intubated? I think this is done to facilitate dramatic shots of the unconscious patient's face. Anyway, that's stupid.

BTW on ER, they continually use the laryngoscope with their right hand.

Disregard. I've been in board review all day.

OSUdoc08 said:
Umm....the laryngoscope is used with the right hand.

Where? If you use the laryngoscope in your right hand in NY for EMT-I or EMT-P testing, you automatically flunk.

How do you fit the tube in if you are holding it in your right hand? The flange on the blade would make it prohibitively difficult.

To GeneralVeers - I've NEVER seen them hold the laryngoscope with the right hand on ER, but, NO ONE uses the handle - everyone's hand is on the hinge or blade, which bugs me.

Apollyon said:
Where? If you use the laryngoscope in your right hand in NY for EMT-I or EMT-P testing, you automatically flunk.

How do you fit the tube in if you are holding it in your right hand? The flange on the blade would make it prohibitively difficult.

To GeneralVeers - I've NEVER seen them hold the laryngoscope with the right hand on ER, but, NO ONE uses the handle - everyone's hand is on the hinge or blade, which bugs me.

Disregard. I've been in board review all day.

SanDiegoSOD said:
I hope I'm that cool and carefree when I'm an intern...

Hell, I don't even have enough energy after I get home to watch the stupid show, much less go clubbin'.

Take care,
Jeff

Apollyon said:

Actually, there is a school of thought (see Rich Levitan's "First Pass Success" laryngoscopy stuff) that suggests "choking up" on the handle to the hinge or blade is the right way to go. I took the class, loved it, and it improved my intubation success (especially in the "challenging airway") tremendously...

But I doubt they are attempting to show that cutting edge level of detail.

:cool:

Squad51 said:
Actually, there is a school of thought (see Rich Levitan's "First Pass Success" laryngoscopy stuff) that suggests "choking up" on the handle to the hinge or blade is the right way to go. I took the class, loved it, and it improved my intubation success (especially in the "challenging airway") tremendously...

Levitan's a good guy (met him at ACEP) - I know what you are saying, but they're not low on the handle - they're on the blade.

only peripherally on topic, but does anyone watch "how i met your mother" on cbs? it's the show that resurrected "doogie howser, md" star neil patrick harris (if you don't count the epic sci-fi action-adventure movie "starship troopers", that is). sorry, i only get cbs, so i don't know too much about "grey's anatomy".

substanceP said:
only peripherally on topic, but does anyone watch "how i met your mother" on cbs? it's the show that resurrected "doogie howser, md" star neil patrick harris (if you don't count the epic sci-fi action-adventure movie "starship troopers", that is). sorry, i only get cbs, so i don't know too much about "grey's anatomy".

NPH was also in Harold & Kumar go to White Castle.

raptor5 said:

My patients, almost every single one of them calls me "Doogie". That's because I look 16 and have a big forehead.

Never realized the show was so popular in the ghetto.

GeneralVeers said:
My patients, almost every single one of them calls me "Doogie". That's because I look 16 and have a big forehead.

Never realized the show was so popular in the ghetto.
They are only calling you Doogie because the alternative would just be too mean..... :p

Squad51 said:

I agree. I also grip the joint and find that it becomes more of a push vs pull force to lift the jaw and soft tissues. Much easier if you have a difficult airway. It also makes it easier for the newbies because they are less likely to crank back and knock out teeth (extremely difficult to explain to the family afterward I might add)... :cool:

Apollyon said:
Levitan's a good guy (met him at ACEP) - I know what you are saying, but they're not low on the handle - they're on the blade.

I frequently find myself doing this. It's OK for the easier tubes that I get right off the bat. With the ones that are more difficult, or with the fatter patients, I find that I have a nice impression left in my palm of the outline of the blade. It hurts!

Take care,
Jeff

totalbodypain said:
I agree. I also grip the joint and find that it becomes more of a push vs pull force to lift the jaw and soft tissues. Much easier if you have a difficult airway. It also makes it easier for the newbies because they are less likely to crank back and knock out teeth (extremely difficult to explain to the family afterward I might add)... :cool:

Haha... what DO you tell the family?

"Sorry, ma, but junior got a little too hornry on the table, so I knocked him in the spitter and set him straight..."

SanDiegoSOD said:
Haha... what DO you tell the family?

"Sorry, ma, but junior got a little too hornry on the table, so I knocked him in the spitter and set him straight..."
I have only seen it once...In a crack head od on crack, seizing, spitting and generally not being a team player. My rock star of an attending insisting on tubing dry aka. without rsi drugs and low and behold a few shakes later and couple teeth less she was chewing on pvc. In retrospect she was dentally challenged so we really just evened things out. Alas, no family to tell for that poor dame in distress.

raptor5 said:

its funny NPH looks just the same as he did when he was 13-14 haha. He also had that show on one of the prime time channels at one point, never watched it though. I'll admit, I actually bought the season 1 of doogie howser about a year ago, and its definitely not as good as it was 15 years ago haha.

raptor5 said:

"Neil Patrick Harris just stole my car"
cop "No he didn't. NPH wouldn't do that"

even though i'm sure I screwed it up.

MossPoh said:
Watching it in German is much better..........Then you are learning something while watching pointless crap. Gray's and ER, while I never watch at home, are somehow much more entertaining here..mainly because German Television is crap. Except for Galileo because they show you how they make all sorts of cool stuff. I think they should have a series starring a Radiologist. Oh the wackiness events that would occur there......or perhaps ophtamology. I hear they can be quite the sluts as well.

Yes to German TV being crap. I also find myself watching shows here (Housewives, Grey´s, ER) that I never would have watched back home. Grey´s is an especially lovely time becuase my German roommate, a medical student with very strong anti-American sentiments, always gets out her course books to check if what is being done on the show is actually right. And then she becomes very happy with herself because those dumb Americans can´t even get things right on TV. Then we proceed to have a big debate on how its TV, how she could be watching be watching German shows, but prefers to watch American ones, and her narrow-mindedness. Sadly Grey´s first season finished here a few weeks ago, so Tuesday nights have been much more peaceful.

libelle said:
Yes to German TV being crap. I also find myself watching shows here (Housewives, Grey´s, ER) that I never would have watched back home. Grey´s is an especially lovely time becuase my German roommate, a medical student with very strong anti-American sentiments, always gets out her course books to check if what is being done on the show is actually right. And then she becomes very happy with herself because those dumb Americans can´t even get things right on TV. Then we proceed to have a big debate on how its TV, how she could be watching be watching German shows, but prefers to watch American ones, and her narrow-mindedness. Sadly Grey´s first season finished here a few weeks ago, so Tuesday nights have been much more peaceful.

Yea...I am very sad that they do double episodes of ER now...if they ever take Galileo off I might actually lose it. That is the only tv show I find worth watching usually..I'm hypnotized by it. Simpsons sometimes...but the german version just doesn't feel right. I have a bit of a crush on that blonde girl on Lotta in Love or whatever it is...but that just involves the commercials.

Lady Tokimi said:

I'll give it a vote for good music, if not medical content.

MossPoh said:
Yea...I am very sad that they do double episodes of ER now...if they ever take Galileo off I might actually lose it. That is the only tv show I find worth watching usually..I'm hypnotized by it. Simpsons sometimes...but the german version just doesn't feel right. I have a bit of a crush on that blonde girl on Lotta in Love or whatever it is...but that just involves the commercials.

I was in shock when I read the Lotta in Love part, but then it subsided when I realized it was only from the commercials. I agree with the Simpsons being wierd, but I have come around to watching South Park in German.

libelle said:
I was in shock when I read the Lotta in Love part, but then it subsided when I realized it was only from the commercials. I agree with the Simpsons being wierd, but I have come around to watching South Park in German.

Haha. I have seen all of them so it just doesn't feel write to me. MTV is fun in that they use subtitles for other stuff though...like Pimp My Ride. Hey today is the big t.v. day...ER and what not. Then they also have that L Word show which is suppossed to be god awful but being the guy I am all I see is the moderatley attractive to hot lesbians going at it. *cough*

How this became a german tv show thread I am not sure but it's at least a novel hijacking. As for Grey's Anatomy this is the one show that has acctually crossed the medical line for me so far that it makes me angry. Sure ER ain't perfect and the drama is amped up to a ridiculous degree, sure the residents (or are the fellows?) on House somehow manage to single handedly be responsible for EVERY possible procedure in the world BUT given all that both shows at times have compelling story lines and patient encounters. Grey's Anatomy is essentialy a group of 9-5 surgical interns who know everything, sleep with a new attending each week, and as was mentioned still have time to go clubbing after work. I have seen about 7-8 episodes and have seen NOTHING redeemable about it at all. Even the beautiful Katie Heigl can't save that show and she had me watching Roswell for a season or two.
Since every other medical show on now has mentioned but this one let me throw a quick shout out to the best SCRUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides the crackup hillarity I realised after rewatching my season 1,2, and 3 DVD's that iit is acctually one of the most accurate portrayals of a residents life. Showing endless rounding, constantly feeling idiotic and lost, and having to give up on the normal life you might want due to the hectic nature of your schedule. Did I mention it's also the funniest show on TV?

JackBauERfan said:
I've actually thought one market that hasnt' been exploided is a psych show. Come on, all my good stories are from my 2 months in psych rotation haha, I'm sure they can come up with some kind of freud show....

Ahem...you are obviously unaware of the comedic genious of Dr. Frasier Crane. In my opinion, Frasier is the best sitcom of all time. It didn't have psychiatry as the absolute main part of the story, but I guess it's as close as you can currently get. Although, I think that "Deal or No Deal" is ripe with opportunities for a psychiatrist on television.

Firebird said:
Ahem...you are obviously unaware of the comedic genious of Dr. Frasier Crane. In my opinion, Frasier is the best sitcom of all time. It didn't have psychiatry as the absolute main part of the story, but I guess it's as close as you can currently get. Although, I think that "Deal or No Deal" is ripe with opportunities for a psychiatrist on television.

eww forgot about that one. I really liked Frasier too. I guess we can still do a drama series.

colforbinMD said:
How this became a german tv show thread I am not sure but it's at least a novel hijacking.
Heh sorry. I have the attention span of a kitten with ADD. :oops:

Lady Tokimi said:

I HATE Grey's Anatomy but like most others my fiancee likes it so it occupies space on my TIVO.
I especially hate how these "surgeons" poach on all the other departments.
As far as all the drinking and partying I would suggest that this is probably more of an acurate portrayal. These characters are all obviously depressed and have personality disorders. My experience is that people who are depressed can always find time to drink and do other self-destructive activites (like have sex with co-workers).
I will continue to mantain that Scrubs is the most accurate medical show on TV. Did anyone see that in one of the last episodes last season JDs new love interest grabs the CXR at the begining of the show and turns it around (to the correct way) and says "this is backwards and it has always bugged me" or something like that.

I second the vote for a psych show--something like "delusion of the week"--most of my funny stories came out of the psych month as well.