Gross Anatomy Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uthscsa07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have good advice on how to review for the shelf test? I take the exam on Friday and it is only worth 15% of my final grade. Any information would really be helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember it being all that difficult when I took it last year, but I would advise that you really understand all the nerves, what they innervate, and what would happen if they were damaged/transected/etc. It wouldn't hurt to know all the blood vessel anastomoses (optional blood routes) as well. I also remember there being a reasonable emphasis on the visceral orgams (especially the GI accessory organs with portal hypertension). That's all I can really remember. Aside from my own recommendations, some of our Anatomy professors have encouraged the use of High Yield Anatomy for the NBME due to its focus on relevant topics and conciseness.

Hope this helps.

hey First Aid is really necessary. All the embryo questions, there were about 20 were in first aid.

remember the first blood cells are made in the yolk sac

peace

Omar

Members don't see this ad :)
KNOW THE BRACHIAL PLEXUS!!!

know anyone at UT-Houston? I swear our syllabus was written for this test, there was maybe 3 questions that tested us on info I had never seen.

that being said, don't really waste time on cranial nerves besides a quick run through, wasnt that much on it.

There were a good 4 or 5 questions on which spaces communicate with other spaces on my test...I have always been curious when people give out test advice what their scores are? Anyone mind sharing? I got an 83 on the anatomy shelf.

peace

Two really useful ways of reviewing are Grant's Dissector (yes, the dissector) and Blackwell's Underground Clinical Vingettes.

Also, the questions are often very clinical, so having practice with clinical problems is always good.

Originally posted by zedpol
...I have always been curious when people give out test advice what their scores are? Anyone mind sharing? I got an 83 on the anatomy shelf.

peace

I can't remember my exact NBME score, but I do know that it converted into a 94% toward my final Gross course average. It was probably converted proportionally from a 125 pt scale to a 100 pt scale, er something. :confused:

Originally posted by uthscsa07
Does anyone have good advice on how to review for the shelf test? I take the exam on Friday and it is only worth 15% of my final grade. Any information would really be helpful.

Thanks

15%?!?!? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?! It was worth 40% of my final grade. And it was the day after the 3rd lab practical. They've told us they're going to change things for next year. Gee, thanks guys.

Naphtali

Originally posted by Stinger86
I can't remember my exact NBME score, but I do know that it converted into a 94% toward my final Gross course average. It was probably converted proportionally from a 125 pt scale to a 100 pt scale, er something. :confused:

We were told that Dr. Tank would take the difference between the written exam average prior to the NBME and either the class average on the NBME or the National average on the NBME (which is set at 70) and add that difference to your NBME scores. Basically correcting for the differences in the grading scales.

Originally posted by BiggMann79
We were told that Dr. Tank would take the difference between the written exam average prior to the NBME and either the class average on the NBME or the National average on the NBME (which is set at 70) and add that difference to your NBME scores. Basically correcting for the differences in the grading scales.

That's right... that's how it was done in Micro too. I'm already forgetting stuff from last year. :(

Anyone know Statistical info on the shelf exams? Always curious how my shelf scores measure up to everyone elses

Im still curious about prep time and what not. If you take it with other exams at the same time or is it given as the only test at that time so you have time to dedicate to it.

I'm taking it next Tuesday. I just took the head and neck tests today, so we have a few days to study for it. After todays debacle I will probably have to do fairly good on it to maintain an A, so I'm going to be spending some quality time with my BRS and PreTest books this weekend.

Originally posted by BiggMann79
I'm taking it next Tuesday. I just took the head and neck tests today, so we have a few days to study for it. After todays debacle I will probably have to do fairly good on it to maintain an A, so I'm going to be spending some quality time with my BRS and PreTest books this weekend.

The head and neck exam and practical were just awful for me. I literally had to stop studying for the written exam because I was fed up with which freakin' nerve had parasympathic input here but not here, and then the next nerve to take the input elsewhere in the head. Forget that. Too bad that particular tag-team combo of test/practical made me lose my A, but that's life.

I heard from my gf that the written had less autonomic stuff on it this year than last year. It looks like they actually listened to our screaming and whining after all.

Good luck on the NBME. Take it to the cleaners!