Ground State Resonance Structure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBDent19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A sample DAT question asked how many ground-state resonance structures there are for NO3-. I can draw 4 structures, but the correct answer listed is 3. Why is the structure in red not valid? It still has an overall charge of -1. All resonance structures do not have to be equal energy. What do they mean by ground-state resonance structures? I can't even find the concept in my chemistry textbook.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• SCAN0001.JPG
    SCAN0001.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 232
isn't this in KBB?

the atoms would rather have lower formal charges than higher formal charges. in your case, N has +2 when it can have fewer

Yes, but I've never heard of different resonance structures characterized as being in the ground state.

The question is on the sample DAT test of ADA's website. I was always taught that each valid resonance structure contributes to the true state of the molecule and the most stable forms contribute the most.

My confusion was: how would I know that the structure in red is an "non-ground state" compared to being simply the resonance structure with the highest energy, necessitating that I not include it in my answer.