1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Group Didactic Activities

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by SuperflyMD, Mar 29, 2007.

1. SuperflyMD

SuperflyMD Member
    10+ Year Member

I've got a couple of resident lectures coming up and I want to do something besides the typical powerpoint presentation.

Has anybody seen or done anything cool in conference recently?

thanks,

SF

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. po' boy

po' boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sometimes in conference we do medical Jeopardy based around a theme (like peds, etc.) and divide the room up into two teams. It's pretty interactive and fun. Takes work to put together but your audience won't be bored.

4. anonymousEM

anonymousEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I like building the lecture around a case. Give some background and a little bit of hx, then ask the audience what else they want to know...on to PE same thing. Discuss why certain elements are necessary. DDx, ask for input then explain why other things should be considered. With the data go into some of the pathophys then bring the case together with some more management style stuff/dispo pearls.

5. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are a number of ways to approach this, depending on topic, etc. Also time and the level of interaction you want.

powerpoint actually has some tricks in it you can use that can make your presentation highly interactive (ppt is only passive when constructed in the typical manner). PM me if you want an example or two of ones I have done and I'll email them to you as well as with the instructions of how I used it.

I'll awnser with a few more ideas once I have a little more time.. I'm in fly-by mode right now.

6. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like lectures that are structured the way I approach a topic in my own head. I can read the standard format in a textbook: epidemiology then pathophysiology then clinical presentation then treatment. That's not how any of us approach patients and not how I like to hear presentations.

Since my attention span is limited, I like presentations that are highly focused.

I'll start with a clinical presentation and pose several of what I feel are key clinical questions. I'll then address each of those as needed to answer them, all the time keeping it focused on clinical practice.

Take care,
    Jeff