Group interview format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Textuality

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good news and bad news.
Good news: I'm interviewing at Emory.
Bad news: It's my first interview, one of my top 5 choices, and more importantly, it involves a group interview.

So I've never been in a situation similar to a group interview where I was being questioned along with other applicants. Anybody have any experienced advice here? Obviously the same tips for one-on-one interviews still apply (ie be prepared, be nice, be confident, etc). Do they address questions to us individually or are we supposed to raise our hands and answer in turn? Haha.

I guess I just want to know if it's as awkward as it sounds like it's going to be...

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a couple of group interviews for jobs ad I'll say that the atmosphere is generally more relaxed and conversational. Typically there's the "go around the circle and introduce yourself/tell us about yourself" deal. Then depending on how many interviewers and interviewees there are, usually each interviewer will ask each interviewee at least one question. Sometimes they'll ask the same question to different people. If they do this it's okay to refer to someone else's answer, just make sure to add to it. "I feel pretty much the same as Joe, but I would also _______"

Hopefully someone that's had them for med school admissions can add to what I've said.

Thanks... I think in my head I'm picturing a room with 3 of us applicants nervously trying to feel each other out, or engaging in a shouting match to be heard over the other.

I guess what I'm really afraid of is the interviewer asking a really bad question like : "Why do you think we should take you and not the other two" I mean, I'd probably politic my way out of not answering, but still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I will be interviewing at Emory too and I am not very fond of the group interview format. I am wondering if we will have to jump to answer questions, basically to be the most eager piglet at the interviewing teat. If they just address questions directly to us and let us answer in turn, the group format seems pretty pointless. If anyone out there could give me some idea of how a group interview goes I would appreciate it.

Heh, what day are you interviewing? Maybe we'll be in the same group! :p I feel like I'd be less anxious about it if I got to meet and greet my group before hand you know?

Let me throw out my group interview Horror story.

So it's my first interview at a med school and it's a group interview (3 interviewers, three students). I think, no sweat, I can handle this right?

So, we go in and we do the introductions things. Turns out the girl to my right is from the same home town as the lead interviewer AND the lead interviewer is going to be visiting her CURRENT location in the next month for a conference. So they're going back and forth talking about their hometown and where she's living now, restaurants, sites to see. So they're immediately hitting it off.

The other girl answers a question about her Hindu faith being important to her and the OTHER interviewer had just read a book about Hindu philosophy last year so THEY go back and forth talking about that. I'm just kinding sitting there with nobody to connect with. I answered all my questions normally but I definitely felt like the odd man out in the situation.

It's not that bad. They have a panel of 3 interviewers (for me, 2 doctors, 1 student) and three interviewees. In my group, they just had each of the 3 interviewers go down the row and ask questions to all 3 interviewees individually. Basically, you weren't really interacting with the other students at all. I'm sure it differs based on who your interviewers are, but it really is nothing to stress about.

Let me throw out my group interview Horror story.

So it's my first interview at a med school and it's a group interview (3 interviewers, three students). I think, no sweat, I can handle this right?

So, we go in and we do the introductions things. Turns out the girl to my right is from the same home town as the lead interviewer AND the lead interviewer is going to be visiting her CURRENT location in the next month for a conference. So they're going back and forth talking about their hometown and where she's living now, restaurants, sites to see. So they're immediately hitting it off.

The other girl answers a question about her Hindu faith being important to her and the OTHER interviewer had just read a book about Hindu philosophy last year so THEY go back and forth talking about that. I'm just kinding sitting there with nobody to connect with. I answered all my questions normally but I definitely felt like the odd man out in the situation.
That's just plain bad luck. OP, this is probably the worst case scenario. (you perform exceptionally and the other interviewees are outstanding.)

On the plus side.....

At least this format will prepare you for attending-student rounds on your third year rotations.