Group Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultracet

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we have this lovely thing called "PBL" (problem based learning). We do a lot of work in groups in several of our classes....

Our groups consist of anywhere from 4-8 people. (first and second year 6 third year we have one big group of 8 and those are divided in half for some other classes. )
We have the same group all year long and you cannot choose who is in your group. We have peer evaluations as well as grades on projects.

Does anyone else have group work?

Does anyone else hate it as much as I do?

I mean all it does to me is lengthen my list of people i dislike in my class and make me realize who i do not want to work with when i get out.

Members don't see this ad.

They put us in a group of 10 the very first day you start pharmacy school. I think it's based on psychological testing. I actually like it because they made us do all sorts of team building activities first to practice functioning as a group, leader, and follower. It's useful for hospital pharmacy since you'll have more people to work with as a team, but retail probably not so much since you'll often be the only pharmacist there.

I like group projects. We had a pharmacology debate last week where we were all stressing out almost having a meltdown, but came together over the next 24 hours and gave an awesome presentation. The big problems of course are people not getting along and the 1 or 2 people not doing their fair share. We had a meeting about it afterwards -- just sucks getting stuck with the dead weight who will get a good grade too or worse, will be eventually be unleashed onto society as a "trusted health professional"...

We are randomly placed in small groups for various classes. There's usually about 15 in each class and 3 to 5 in each practicum group. For our off-campus practicum rotations in year 2, we were allowed to sign up and choose who/where we worked. But, most rotations assigned each person to work a different day, so it didn't really matter except to prepare your poster project for the research you did during that rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Midwestern does the group thing throughout the curriculum. They divide the class up into groups of ~6 at the very beginning, and you stay in that group until final rotations. For a couple classes, new groups are formed for variety, I guess. But the original groups still remain for major presentations. It was *very* annoying at times, but other times it wasn't so bad.

ForgetMeNot said:
Midwestern does the group thing throughout the curriculum. They divide the class up into groups of ~6 at the very beginning, and you stay in that group until final rotations. For a couple classes, new groups are formed for variety, I guess. But the original groups still remain for major presentations. It was *very* annoying at times, but other times it wasn't so bad.

I am at CCP, and yes, I thought the groups were alright, at first. Then around end of 2nd into 3rd year, the people in my group stopped doing any work. They knew that I and one other girl would just carry them completely thru the workshop. That was fairly annoying. But, the group did give me my first friends at pharmacy school. That was the good part, having almost built in friends in the beginning, esp if you come from out of state.