Quantcast

Grudge Match: UNECOM vs PSCOM

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcratamt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Crew!

If faced with the following dilemma... What would you do?

You have recently been accepted to both UNECOM and PCSOM. You are a physical therepist who has been practicing OMM for four years and are very passionate about it, but want the best "all around education." The decision is further complicated by the fact that a close friend has also been accepted to UNECOM. I am aware of PSCOM's emphasis on OMM.. but am also aware of UNECOM's strengths and the benefits of having a study partner/roommate/friend/etc.

What school would you choose? +pissed+

Thanks!
-dcratamt

wholehealth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are you from? Eastern Kentucky is another world if you are not from there. I went to school in Kentucky and did not apply to pikeville. UNE is a great school, and I know from looking through the OMM conference/workshops that UNE holds many of these. I think you can learn OMM only as much as you want to. There are always workshops to add to what you learn in class. As a PT, I have a feeling that you are already way ahead of the game. MSU gives workshops as well, I think you can even attend as a PT...not sure though

PS, I have heard GREAT things about Pikeville from friends/former fellow students, I just know that location is important for me. Otherwise I'm sure you would be happy either place.;)

Aaron Earles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
dcratamt,

I would love to have you as a classmate!!!! However, you need to really consider where you will be the happiest. PSCOM really emphasizes OMM, but I have heard good things about UNECOM. I dont think you will go wrong with either decision. Let me know if I could be any more help to you.

Aaron

Buster Douglas

Unregistered User
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dcratamt
I am aware of PSCOM's emphasis on OMM.. but am also aware of UNECOM's strengths and the benefits of having a study partner/roommate/friend/etc.
Dr. Stiles is badass...

Not many people can say they "developed the 5 level coding system for manipulative therapy and reimbursement for Maine Medicare intermedatory which has since become the nationally accepted system," learned from A.T. Still's grandson, and brought Functional/Still Techniques to standardized OMM.

Despite his badass-ness, I wouldn't base my decision on OMM departments alone. PCSOM is a great school. I have had no doubts about my preparation for the boards and clinics from my time here. *knock on wood* The faculty is a heavy on quality and short on quantity (~1 professor for each class), which makes life a little less confusing/stressful. 'Pikeville living' is simple (class, ymca, walmart) and the PCSOM curriculum is focussed on the 'high-yield'.

I know little about UNECOM 'cept from what others have posted on these boards: beautiful location, omm is strong, and students are generally happy.

I'd say the same of our OMM department and student body... as for location, it's up to what you're looking for. Personally, I know I wouldn't last 2 blocks in med school if I were in a big city. :p

I'd suggest considering tuition and where you wanna end up in 4-5 years. Look at the 3rd/4th year curriculi (sp?). When you start applying for residency, you'll be happy to have had the chance to rotate at these places before applying.

OK, enough of my shamelss propaganda. :D If you have any questions about the school/town feel free to PM me.:)

jmarra03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My vote is for UNECOM but I am going there in July so I am a bit biased :) My reasons for going are I love the location( I am a New Englander and love it here) I love the OMM lab and feel it is adequately emphasized here. I also have heard great things about the anatomy here. I know very little about PCSOM though so I feel I can't compare them very well. I like the fact that Biddeford is simple yet you can reach several major cities quickly ( boston is about an hour and portland is 20 mins)

Good luck with your decision and I hope to see you at UNE in July!

Janelle

Shodddy18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All that I can say is that I have been attending UNE as an undergrad for the past 4 years and have had a wonderful time. I will be attending UNECOM in the class of '08. Although i may be a bit biased, I have been to several other osteopathic schools and have not seen happier students than I have at UNECOM. Its a real tight knit community here.

Also, although the quality of education should be the most important factor when choosing a medical school, you also have to take into consideration what kind of social life you will have. I always here everyone saying that they will not have any social life durring med school, so it is not an important factor for them. This is NOT TRUE. You will have much less time for a social life, but this makes what little time you have much more important. Med school will be hard enough, you dont want to be miserable while there. So if two schools have great academics, look at the area you will be living in and see if you will be happy there.

Congrats on the acceptances and good luck with your decision.

simtech

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Buster Douglas

the PCSOM curriculum is focussed on the 'high-yield'.

Buster,

Just curious. What do you mean by high-yield?

hossofadoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would pick PCSOM... if you really want to learn OMT then come here. Dr. Stiles is the best of the best...he teaches you how to do OMT in a different light. It's amazing my skills right now as a first year. I can treat the entire body using Muscle Energy and Functional...I don't think any other schools first year can say that. Also, we are a lot cheapier then UNE and we boast one a 96% pass rate on the boards. Clincal rotation sites are awesome for the most part, the docs will let you do almost anything..deliveries, central lines, OMT. Plus, the cost of living and tution is a lot cheapier.

If you really wanted to learn OMT then choose Pikeville...

Buster Douglas

Unregistered User
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by simtech
What do you mean by high-yield?
"High-yield information" - information which is repeatedly tested on boards and common in practice.

raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a friend who goes to PCSOM and absolutely LOVES the school. however, to be honest, pikeville itself isn't that great, unless you love rural KY, and the rotation sites (from the list i saw) are definitely not awesome. They are all rural, so while you may get to have a lot of hands on experience, you're not going to be exposed to a whole lot.

as far as OMM goes, students at PCSOM do rave about Dr Stiles, but I've also heard wonderful things about OMM at UNECOM. Our professors (at lecom) speak highly of the faculty there. But the OMM program should NOT be THE reason you pick a school-- because you can learn OMM at any DO school. its more about the effort YOU put in rather than who's teaching it (you'll find this to be true once you get there and take a look around at your classmates).

I think the most important reasons to pick a school are

1. its location (near family, friends, or parts of the country you see yourself practicing in)

2.rotation sites/board pass rates/matching stats (the things that will get you where you want to go)

3. Tuition/cost of living

where you are going to be most happy is where you will learn the most and be most successful.
good luck!

hossofadoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Raspberry-Our list has some pretty nice places: Myrtle Beach, Biloxi/Gulfport, Gulfshores....which is of course if you like the beach. Also, the good thing about our sites is the clinical experience, we get to hindcatch during OB, do numerous central lines....alot get to do more during the 3rd/4th year then they do during the early years of residency.

Aaron Earles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hossofadoc,

There is a rotation at Myrtle Beach? Is that part of the core sites?

Aaron

hossofadoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aaron- They're working on a few sites and that one is supposed to be ready by next year, along with a few other possible sites
*Rumors* are Asheville, N.C., Elizabeth City, N.C. (Outer Banks) but you know how the rumor mill works, someone thinks then suddenly it becomes gospel to everyone.

Aaron Earles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hossofadoc,

That is awesome. I am glad to hear that. Thanks for the response. See you soon.

Aaron

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my $0.02, if you like anatomy and want to know it well? Go to UNE. (I was told at my interview that they have the second longest anatomy curriculums in the country MD or DO)... someone correct me if I'm wrong... Again, I'm a little biased... I do agree with raspberry swirl's last post... there are lots of things to consider when you decide. Good luck!

Pikevillemedstudent

Bengals Fan
Reaction score
Well rural KY isn't for everyone but neither is rural Maine. As far as anatomy goes, Dr. Frank Willard is amazing. He has come to Pikeville and given a lecture before. Now don't get me wrong I love anatomy but the truth is it's a low yield subject for boards and surgical anatomy is alot differnt from gross. You are PT so you probably have a good anatomy foundation already. However, no school teaches OMT like ours, plain and simple. If that's your interest, PCSOM is probably one of the best if not the best. We have graduates at allopathic hospitals who are impressing their program directors so much, they have approached Dr. Stiles to teach them and their other residents OMT!! I understand that your friend is going to UNECOM but unfortunately the stress of school can really hurt relationships. I have seen best friends enter med school together and by second year not even being on speaking terms (no lie). I would consider that low on my list of factors although it is easier said than done. Also, pikeville is getting very liberal with hub sites with alot being in mid-sized cities like Dayton OH, Paduach KY, Ashland KY, Henderson KY, Biloxi and Tupelo MS, Mrytle Beach SC, and many others in the works as previously stated. Let me know if you have any questions.

oceandoc

toxic metabolite
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, UNE's anatomy course is second only to Columbia in the number of hours (Dr. Cross would have it no other way)...our lab is awesome and the professors are great...everyone here is totally in love with Dr. Willard, who teaches 1/4 of gross and all of neuroanatomy. Also, Dr. Carriero, who is the OMM course director, is a very cool lady who recently published what I believe is the only peds OMM book out there.

Does PSCOM have a OMM/Anatomy fellowship like UNECOM does? If you're really interested in learning OMM extremely well that is something you'd be interested in...it is great for the fellows (they see patients in our OMM clinic) and great for us (their other job is to help us learn anatomy and the OMM techniques, and they do a great job).

If you've got more questions about UNECOM feel free to PM me...

Willie B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
dcratamt,

I will refer you to my post in the PCSOM admissions thread. By the way, how did you come up with your handle? I don't know if it is just me but, I've typed it twice and I still have to scroll down the page multiple times to get it right:confused: .

dcratamt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Willie B,
My handle dcratamt is my initials Dennis C. Rau at Artisan Manual Therapy. Artisan Manual Therapy is the P.T. practice i started where i use Osteopathic Techniques, hence my interest in OMT. I have trained with Ed Stiles before and he is very skilled to say the least. I first heard him talk of PCSOM about three years ago at a course he taught, and now i finally get the chance to interview.

Later,
dcratamt

hossofadoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oceandoc- Yeah, we have an OMM fellowship...the fellows see patients five days a week for the most part and work with doctors throughout the area on research projects. Our fellows are awesome, many of them are becoming nationally and worldly reknowned. Dr. Crow of PCOM recently took one of our fellows with him to teach a group of German docs osteopathy the way PCSOM teaches it.