GS interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
atl2003 -- I've noticed the same. I called many of the programs that I have not yet heard from particularly in NY. I was told that my app was in the "second look" pile and should expect a response by the end of next week. One program told me I was on the waiting-list (**** pile).

Much of this seems to be arbitrary -- good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

considered nice: BU, Yale

put in limbo: Columbia

considered naughty: MGH, UPenn, Cornell

yeah it's a real crap shoot

Members don't see this ad :)
Choices- i can only go to 2 of the 3 following interviews - UTSW, Cornell, U. of Chicago. UTSW is really the only one that is consistently mentioned
as a top tier program but for some reason, in my mind, I consider U. Chicago and Cornell superior.
No one ever mentions Chicago or Cornell as a top 10, even top 15, surgery program. What would you guys do?

As to the question about inconsistencies with interviews- some programs value different things. I have very high boards (252) and a ton of research (7 papers, 3 first author papers in good journals- I took 2 years off to do research) and very good LOR, but only high passes in my rotations-no Honors. I 'm from a top 30 med school. Would you interview me? Programs that really put an emphasis on research (actually the attending screening the applications) love me. Other super top tier programs can't stand the fact that I didn't honor surgery or medicine. Whatever.

Chicago, Cornell or UTSW. Choose 2. (with no geographic constraints)?

I received interviews to Loyola, OHSU, and Thomas Jefferson Univ. today.:)

Hey Superstar,
If I had to choose, I wouldn't go to Cornell. They apparently lost several interns last year and are considered pretty malignant.

I did no apply to UTSW, pretty much based on my own lack of interest in Texas. I thought Southwestern seemed like a good program. If I am not mistaken, it is a really big program with something in the neighborhood of 10+ categoricals. I viewed it as a fairly trauma heavy place, and that was something I am not terribly interested in. The size of program and trauma coupled with my disinterest made me pass.

If you are in the slightest bit interested in Surgical Oncology, I think going to Cornell is pretty worthwhile since you get primo exposure to MSK during your residency, and judging by what their chiefs have done in the last several years, probably first shot at a fellowship there. I am not a big fan of NYC, but Cornell subsidizes housing and has a posh location so I definitely think it is a place worth going to visit.

UChicago was tough for me. I like the city, but I don't know much about the place. It seems like they have strong residents and very good fellowship placement. One of the residents from my home program did a Vascular fellowship there and he was pretty happy with that department, but said that the hospital infrastructure sucked. In the case of trauma, Chicago may be at the opposite end of the spectrum as UTSW. University Hospital, I believe, is not a Level I trauma facility and residents rotate out for trauma experience. I don't know what that means in terms of exposure, but it makes me concerned.

I hope that I have been helpful to some degree, and I hope that my information is valid. Those of you that read this, please point out any inacurracies/misconceptions.

Thanks

BTW Anyone heard from Northwestern?

Smithani,
Got an invite to Northwestern last week, but I couldn't fit it into my schedule.
Just got an invite from University of Washington.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I actually gave up my Northwestern interview today so that I could interview at UTSW, Cornell and Chicago.

Northwestern seems like a very fancy private place where you may not get to see all that much- a little like Cornell. Thing is Surg Onc is my #1 fellowship choice which gives Cornell the edge. I would have loved to have kept my Northwestern interview but something had to go. It was a difficult, somewhat uninformed, decision.

Thew secretary at Northwestern was nice- she offered me the other interview dates but they were impossible for me as well- so someone should be getting a Northwestern interview soon!

Sorry there, meant to post earlier but have been busy. I'm the surgery bound 4th year at UofWash and basically what quack has said is true except maybe that a very good portion of the attendings are also 'malignant'. Unfortunately it pretty much starts from the top. The program is EXTREMELY hierarchial (sp?) and you will be treated poorly, without exception. There is a post on scutwork.com too by someone else in our class who again, unfortunately, is correct. Bottom line is that I've had residents who have told me to my face that they would not come here again if they could go back and choose. The stories of resident backstabbing are true and usually we (the UW med students) receive it. Many of my friends were blamed wrongly by the sr residents while on rounds with the attending b/c they didn't want to look bad in front of the big wigs. It's just a plain *****y environment - no question. If however, you don't care then go for it, but don't say I didn't warn you! Seattle is a nice city, wet and grey, but overall a nice place to live. By the way, the happiest residents in town are probably at Swedish, even though their reputation is obviously not held in as high regard. Virginia Mason is an awesome program and the residents are pretty happy there too.

I just can't fathom why anyone would put themselves through 5 years of crap when they don't have to. There are programs out there who treat you well (or at least better)... If you do go and visit try to talk with as many of the residents as you can, you don't have to take we UW students word on it. :(

Does anyone know much about the Cleveland Clinic program? I heard it was great to be a fellow there but maybe not so hot to be a resident (you lose the big cases). You don't hear too much about there gen surg residency program.

Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, Michigan, Cornell, Northwestern, Chicago, Penn, Wash U, Hopkins, Brigham, MGH, Duke, UCLA

Still Out There: UCSF

For those who applied to the west coast,
does anybody know when USC, UCLA and UCSF are going to send invites?

smithani when did you hear from UCLA?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
smithani when did you hear from UCLA?

10/21

UCSF told me they would dish out interviews after Thanksgiving. As always, they could just be trying to tell me in a nice way that my ass is not all that high on their list.

Anyone out there with UCSF already scheduled?

Interview: U of Chicago, Northwestern, U of Wisc, U of Michigan, Georgetown, Emory, UTSW, Baylor, BID, Cornell, Mt. Sinai

Waiting to hear: NYU, Columbia, B & W, Boston U

Rejected: Wash U.

I called NYU today, they told me nothing will be sent out until December 1. Is this what you guys have been hearing?
Anyone hear from Columbia?

Good luck on the interview trail.

atl, got an invite from Columbia on 11/15

mexsurg, USC sent out an invite on 11/11. As for UCLA, as of last Friday they said they have only gone through about 1/2 of their applications. UCSF said they wouldn't be sending out invites until around Thanksgiving.

In: BU, Brown, TJU

Still waiting for Columbia and NYU

Invitation to Brown Univ. yesterday. Any info on their program?

Is it just me, or are you guys very competitve applicants? I applied to Brown too and have heard nothing... That probably means I am in their "****pile" or future rejections. Same thing goes for some other schools that you guys have received interviews to: Dartmouth, UAB, the UC programs...
Congrats to you guys for sure though! But damn, it sucks knowing that I am set to receive some serious rejectile vomit pretty soon!

Oh well. You guys must be serious studs, so more power to ya!

To the poster who posted about Brown, I dunno much but I checked on scutwork.com and the program didn't fill last year. I wonder why. Hell, I wonder why I didn't get an interview offer!

:laugh:

Good luck everyone!

Hey CP, I started this thread in the hopes of learning about the timing these programs send out invitations. It is all too evident that the selection process is quite arbitrary. While there may be some cut-offs, I think many of the selectors play eeny, meeny, miney, moe-fo-you-aint-in.

Not including the obligatory rejections from MGH and U of golden rain, I've been offered invitations by some and rejected by others yet, the exact reverse is true for many others....what the hell??

Keep your damn head up! Just remember that we (despite an increased # of applicants from last year) are still in demand. You will get in to a place you like. :D
Good luck

p.s. "rejectile vomiting:" now that's pretty good

Yeah, everything looks good right now. I have some interviews at some pretty good programs. A couple of "top tier" ones, as well as several very good university programs. I definitely feel pretty psyched/lucky about the whole process. Hell, I applied to some programs knowing that it was a serious long shot.

By the way, I called Stanford yesterday (another long shot) and there is a message saying that they started giving out invitations on the 18th of November.

Good luck all!

i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the general surgery program at san joaquin general hospital? it's a small community program out in stockton california. i've checked on scutwork, but no one has reviewed the program. any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Celiac Plexus
Is it just me, or are you guys very competitve applicants? I applied to Brown too and have heard nothing... That probably means I am in their "****pile" or future rejections. Same thing goes for some other schools that you guys have received interviews to: Dartmouth, UAB, the UC programs...
Congrats to you guys for sure though! But damn, it sucks knowing that I am set to receive some serious rejectile vomit pretty soon!

Oh well. You guys must be serious studs, so more power to ya!

To the poster who posted about Brown, I dunno much but I checked on scutwork.com and the program didn't fill last year. I wonder why. Hell, I wonder why I didn't get an interview offer!

:laugh:

Good luck everyone!

Ok ok, I'll post a few of my regular Joe interview offers in hopes that my fellow "not-so-Ivy-Leaguers" will take heart :D

University of Kentucky
West Virginia University
Boston University
University of Iowa
Emory University
University of Florida
Howard University
University of Illinois

If anyone wants the full list, feel free to email me.

Columbia interview offer this a.m.- they offer interviews on 1/5, 1/12 and 1/18 only.

quite full of yourself hey UI2003. good luck on your interviews -- hopefully you will be able to fool your interviewers into believing you are not as arrogant as you write.

Invite from UCSF this afternoon. I have yet to hear from Michigan or Columbia - I really wanted those two too. Oh well! Good luck to everyone!

Originally posted by wanttocut
quite full of yourself hey UI2003. good luck on your interviews -- hopefully you will be able to fool your interviewers into believing you are not as arrogant as you write.

Fair enough - the road to H*** is paved with good intentions! I retract the previous post and just ask that if anyone wishes to commiserate about the process, feel free to private msg/email me!

:D

Interviews at:

UMDNJ New Brunswick, UMDNJ Newark, SUNY Brooklyn, Georgetown, U Maryland, Case Western Reserve, U Buffalo, U Rochester, Brown, U Conn, Mass General, Indiana, Ohio State and my home school (which I will keep private for now)

Interviews that I cancelled: Einstein, EVMS

Wait listed: Cornell

No word: Michigan, Pitt, NYU, Mount Sinai, George Washington, Vandy, Cincinatti, UVA

Rejections: U. Colorado, Columbia (just got this one yesterday)

While I'm very happy with how I'm doing so far, many of these were slow in coming. Many of my classmates with lower numbers than mine got invites before I did and were way ahead of me in terms of numbers of interviews for a long time. Some of them got interviews at Colorado, which I got rejected from (go figure). It was only in the past 2 weeks that I really got many of these, and got offers from places that I was really anxious to check out. Even if everyone else rejects me, though I'll be disappointed, I'm now confident that I'll wind up somewhere that I can be very happy and well trained. I've been to 3 so far and could easily see myself at any of those.

On Thanksgiving vacation but maanged to find a conmputer w/ internet....

Rejected from UCSF, and Duke.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I want my rejections! No word from LA, SF, Stanford, Mayo, Duke, Hopkins, Pitt, Baylor, Yale, Brown yet. This is ridiculous!

Most programs will give you a reply if you contact them. I can't say all of the answers have been positive.

Some programs are also more likely to grant interviews if you contact them. It lets them know you have a serious interest and didn't just apply across the board. I think this definitely applies if you're applying e.g. from east coast to cali programs. After writing to one program, they did grant me an interview.

if you are talking about Baylor Houston, then I don't know if they are giving out anymore interviews. I interviewed there last week and when I was invited, they only had one interview date available (every other one was booked). Might be a bad sign there.

anyone heard from NYU, Mt Sinai or Yale????

Heard from Yale today. Suprised but happy.:rolleyes:

interview from NYU today. They assigned me an interview date. I dont really like that. Anyone else hear from them? Also heard From UCLA, Anyone hear form USC, Stanford, Pitt?

also heard from NYU today; a "no choice" slot on Jan 9. Still waiting on Michigan & Pittsburgh for some reason.

Got an invite from Stanford on Monday. Haven't heard from Pitt, Michigan, George Washington, Utah, UC Irvine, UCSD, or Santa Barbara Cottage. Can they send the rejections already?

I got the big DENY from UCLA yesterday. But I have yet to hear from USC, Cedars and UCSF. I called USC almost 2 weeks ago and they said that they have only gone through half of the apps. So I wait, but I am going to bother them by weeks end.

The waiting game sucks.

I heard from another interviewee doing a rotation at USC that they weren't gonna hand out interviews til mid-late Dec and that all of their interview dates were in Jan (which totally sucks for me).

I got a Jan 9 assigment from NYU too. Problem: I've already scheduled U of Rochester for that day (only alternative for UR is to scramble to Rochester next week, immediately before I go somewhere else!)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on which program would be better NYU or Roch. Coming from afar, I don't hear much of about either of these programs.

Also, got rejected from Vandy this week.

does anyone know anything about the NY St. Lukes-Roosevelt program?? any good??
thanks

Anyone else hear from USC? I got an interview invitation today. Only three dates listed. 2 of which i can not make and one of which is booked. Any thought on this program?

Hey B & G. I also got an interview from USC. All I know about the program is that it is trauma heavy, I believe its the busiest trauma center in Southern Cali. I guess I will know more in Jan.

I also got "waitlisted" to UCSF.

Hey B&G,

I have an interview at USC on Jan 17/18 but I will need to reschedule. Do you know which of the dates are booked and which ones are still available?

Thanks

Got Invites from:

Dartmouth, Beth Israel, Mass Gen, Brigham, Hopkins, Penn, Georgetown, UVA, Emory, Vanderbilt, Duke, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Univ. of Washington, Oregon, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, Northwestern.

Rejections:

Brown, UCSD--go figure?

Will attend:

Oregon, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, and Dartmouth--can't motivate myself to travel for the others.

Good luck to all!

By the way: I come from a "no-name" state medical school. For all those out there who worry about where they are going to school, that's what USMLE, AOA, Research, and Personality are for!