GS interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanttocut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to beat this horse even more but...Has anyone gotten responses from some of the NY programs such as Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia etc..?? My app wasn't in until Oct but nonetheless, I'm going batty with anxiety!:eek:

Does anyone know when the residency committees meet?
Thanks for any incite.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not hear from them either.
Some schools have not even downloaded the Dean's letter yet.
I guess we have to hold tight for now.

despite my obvious inability to spell -- thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
To join the group, I have not heard from the major NYC ones either.

Anyone actually heard of anyone getting rejections in GSurg?

I believe someone wrote about rejection letters in Celiacplexus's thread "General Surgery interviews" on 10/29. Good luck!

bah! i got a rejection from Beth Isreal Deaconess today.

eh..i didn't want to go there anyway

actually I am kind of worried in general. I've only gotten 5 interviews so far and I put my app in back in sept.

got an invite to Cornell last week.

Hello all,
I received an invite from Cornell last week, but have yet to hear from Columbia and Mount Sinai, the only other two programs that I applied to in NYC. I did get an interview offer from University of Rochester today though. I turned my application in two weeks ago yesterday. I think invites in general are hit and miss. Some of the programs that I applied to haven't even downloaded my application yet, while I have received 14 invites thus far. I would not worry - just sit back and relax

nremtpmd

The only contact I've received from a NYC school is from Einstein (interview).

I also got the big reject from BI Deaconess (that stung!) today.

8 interviews so far. My 3 surgery LORs weren't in until this past friday though. That was close!

Has anyone heard from Cali schools- SF, LA or Stanford?

haven't heard from big names in cali. the middle tiers and below have been giving out interviews.

it seems to me that many users of this channel want surgery in nyc. besides the big names of columbia, cornell, sinai, nyu, where do you all believe is a good place to train in the city? i'm sure there are sleeper programs in nyc. based on what i've read about the programs, i'd come up with north shore, beth israel, einstein(montefiore). anyone agree/disagree?

as for those rejected by BI Deaconess, i doubt you want to go there anyway. malignant...in financial trouble...losing docs left/right

The only cali interview I got so far was UCSF East Bay, but I am going to have to cancel that one anyway.

Well, I figured that this would be the week for some action from programs that wait for the dean's letters...

I have heard from 2 programs this week that are pretty good. No, they are not in NYC! Perhaps over the next coupla days there might be a little more news. However, considering my first interview is in less than a week, I figure that the interview schedule I have made at this point might be the final version.

I was really hoping to hear from a few more reach programs but overall I am pretty happy with the offers that I have received.

Just curious, and if anyone out there knows please post an answer: Do GS programs send rejection e-amils/letters? It looks like BI sent some, but is that the norm? Or do most GS programs just ignore you if they don't want to interview you? I really hope that I don't get a bunch of letters/e-mails in late March or early April from programs that start with "We regret to inform you..." If I am gonna get some bad news, I would at least like to get it early!

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any one know about University of UTAH? For the cali schools I kno wstanford is still screening until mid november. I have an interview at UCSD next week. Any one got info on them?

Univ of Utah-I got an interview offer 11/1

Well I have heard from UCI, UCSD, UCLA-Harbor, Santa Barbara Cottage Hosp, Loma Linda.

still waiting for USC, UCLA, Cedars, Stanford and UCSF

just got rejected from UPenn.
arrrghhhh.

After 3 intense levels of review, the selection committe chose to not recommend me for a formal interview at UPenn.

I guess that answers my question about whether programs send rejections...

Well I am semi worried since I did apply to a lot of those california schools that people are hearing from (UCI, UCSD) and haven't heard anything (interview or rejection) from them yet.

Still not heard from the NYC big guns -- just Downstate, St. Vincent's and Lukes. Brown will be e-mailing invitations in two weeks. Anyone heard from Boston area programs??:p

heard from tufts today. Most of their interview dates are in January tho so i probably can't make it

interviews at:
UAB, Tulane, UNC, Eastern Virginia, Penn State

thanks but no thanks from:
UPenn, UTSW, & MUSC

Good luck.

Invites to Hopkins, OHSU, and U. Chicago today.

Anyone heard from the prelim surg programs, particularly in California. I have heard from Kaiser LA, Santa Barbara Cottage and The BI in Boston.

What is everyones opinion of how tough it is to get a prelim surg spot. Do they just want scut puppies or are they going to make it difficult?

Thanks

Ca Dreamin'

Ca Dreamin' - you will most likely have your pick of prelim GS spots. If you check last year's match results, the large majority of prelim spots went unfilled. Good luck!

I am wondering how these palces pick and choose. Some people get interviews at places and cut from others, where others get the opposite. I already interviewed at UTSW, Baylor, and have emory and UCSD coming up, but have yet to hear form Upenn, UAB, Tulane, Vanberbilt. Whats the deal? Who has heard from Upenn, Vandy, and Tulane?

blood & guts - got a invitation letter from Vandy that had been mailed out Nov. 7

Phila: Drexel, TJU and Temple recently.

I've heard from: Beth Israel, Dartmouth, Yale, Cornell, Hopkins, UVA, Georgetown, Vanderbilt (hand written message at the bottom of the invite letter), Santa Barbara Cottage, Oregon, and Duke.

Still waiting on: Stanford, UCSF, UCSD, Emory, Univ. of Washington, Northwestern, Mass Gen, Brigham, Columbia, NYU, and Penn....of course, most I applied to on Nov. 1.

Good luck to all....:D

What did the message from Vandy say? I am still waiting to hear from them, as well as DUKE, Stanford. I have heard from Emory, UCSD both with interviews coming up in the next few weeks. I heard stanford will be sending out invitations next week.

Just got an interview from the Brigham. Out of idle curiosity, how accomodating have you found programs in terms of moving around dates?

Thanks

For those who applied to the west coast, do you know when UCLA, USC and UCSF are going to send out invites?

Originally posted by wanttocut
Still not heard from the NYC big guns -- just Downstate, St. Vincent's and Lukes. Brown will be e-mailing invitations in two weeks. Anyone heard from Boston area programs??:p

Invites: Boston U, B & W

Originally posted by mexsurg
For those who applied to the west coast, do you know when UCLA, USC and UCSF are going to send out invites?

Heard from UCLA about a month ago. Did not apply to USC and no word yet from UCSF for me.

I received invites from Brigham and Northwestern. I am still waiting on U. Washington, UCSF, Stanford, U. Michigan, Brown, Mass General, and Columbia. Anyone heard from these programs?

Check that - just got an invite from Stanford:)

Interviews at:
Colorado,Brigham,MAYOScottsdale,Northwestern, Minnesota,Washington University,Einstein
Cleveland Clinic,Emory University,UT Southwestern
Wisconsin,U. Chicago,Michigan,Lahey Clinic, UVA
Dartmouth ,NEMC/Tufts

Rejections: BI, Penn

waiting list Cornell (they told me)

have not heard from Columbia, MGH, Hopkins, Duke,
Stanford, U of Wash, UCSF, UCLA, Mayo, Pitt, Yale
,Baylor

I assume that for some of the programs that I have
not heard from, I must be on the waiting list/rejected because I know of people who have received interviews. For the other programs (like UCLA), they have not reviewed all of their applications yet (they told me).

Originally posted by smithani
Just got an interview from the Brigham. Out of idle curiosity, how accomodating have you found programs in terms of moving around dates?

Thanks

They're fairly flexible so far - the only one I've had issues with is B & W (figures). In order to change my date, I have to wait 3 weeks to find out whether the date I want has an opening. If it doesn't, I'm screwed since I have another Ivy scheduled for the date they gave me - grrr......

Interviews at:
U. Maryland, Penn State, Harbor-UCLA, UCSF-East Bay, UCSF-Fresno, Oregon Health Sci, U Penn, UVa, Cedars-Sinai, U New Mexico, U. Washington (won't rank -- didn't like the residents, bummer though since Seattle is such a cool town)

Anyone know anything about these other programs?

Rejects from:
UNC, Colorado, Virginia Mason

Really really really wanting to hear from: Stanford, UCI, UCD, George Washington

Quack
When did you hear from Cedars? Have you gone to the interview yet?

Mexsurg -

Heard from them on 11/4. Decided to schedule the interview at the end of Jan, so I haven't been there yet.

I just called Michigan to inquire as to the status of my application. They told me that they had over 600 applications and weren't even halfway through evaluating them. More invites will be sent out next week.
I also called Columbia - they said invites will be sent out in the next few weeks.

Hey Quack,
What don't you like about the residents at Washington? I haven't been invited for an interview there yet, but if I am, I really was considering going. I live on the east coast so it's going to be a hike.

invite from Mass General today.

Re: UW

First off to qualify my opinions -- I did a sub-i and remember these are my opinions, although other former uw sub-i's have agreed with me. And I did well on the rotation, and had gotten favorable reviews -- so I don't have a bone to pick with them.

Well, if you're considering UW, the attendings there are great. teach alot, no malignancy from them to the residents or students. But where the malignancy came from was the residents -- dished out to other (more jr) residents and students. So what do I mean? Lots of "backstabbing," harsh and UNWARANTEED criticism at others, general unfriendliness. The sense I got was that many of the residents were unhappy, and the jr residents really kind of resented many of the srs. Could this simply be a sampling error? sure. Am I willing to bet 5 years of my life on it? No.

One of the saddest things I witnessed was that the MS3 on the team was actually driven to tears by the sr residents one day. It just made the student that much more resentful of the rotation and of surgery/surgeons. All this instead of taking time to teach to the students.

And somewhere on this message board a couple of months back a 4th year UW surgery-bound student had some other colorful words to add about the school too.

So I'm taking the advice of my intern, "If you're interested in general surgery, go elsewhere. You can do better than here." And like I said before, I had very high hopes for that program since the geography is hard to beat, but I'll be looking elsewhere

My $0.02.

Hey quack,
Thanks for your $0.02. My adviser told me that he considers UW the number one program in the country right now. I wonder why that is?

Received an interview @ Mt. Sinai in NYC today (not Cabrini)-the one on 98th and 5th. Does anyone know anything about this program? I believe they have a big living donor liver transplant program where recently a donor died and they got into big trouble. Have not heard much about their gen surg residency. Nothing on Scutwork (program isn't even listed-Cabrini/Mt. Sinai is).

I've been following the residency invitation/rejection lists posted on the board and I've noticed people are getting invites from places I haven't heard from or been rejected, but I'm gettting invites from places those same people have not yet heard from or been rejected. I applied to mostly top-tier programs, so I thought they would be looking for similar applicants. Any thoughts on why the process seems so arbitrary?