gsurg fellowships in minimally invasive and bariatric surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowboxer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how competitive these fellowships are to match into? what the outlook is (as far as $$, lifestyle, increasing the # of programs)? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm told this is a very competative position @ the moment as Laparoscopic fellowships are still in their infantcy with more people interested in advanced training then there are programs up & running yet. Right now bariatrics is pretty lucrative, but you couldn't pay me enough to deal with a large practice of post-operative bypasses & bands. They will drive you nuts!

My impression re. bariatric surgery is that this renaissance will be short lived b/c:
1. The malpractice costs are threatening to kill the viability of the field for most non 100% practice-based bariatric surgeons
2. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with delayed problems from the gastric band desighns in re. to erosions
3. The operation is one pill away from being obsolete

Keep in mind though, people have been making these contra arguments for 25 years & its more popular then ever

I agree, it is very competative; it is the "in" fellowship for the past two years.

While is great to get post-residency train, I question the long term vivability of these program.

1) most program are funded by Laparoscopic instructment companies.

2) all general surgery should include advance laparoscopic surgery in the near future.

3) The mortality of 1/250 for semi-healthy patients is tought to swallow (bariatric surgery).

4) Most likely it will not be recong as a subspeciality.

Originally posted by shadowboxer
does anyone know how competitive these fellowships are to match into? what the outlook is (as far as $$, lifestyle, increasing the # of programs)? thanks.

Hi there,
If you are a fellowship-trained minimally invasive bariatric surgeon, the sky is the limit in terms of income and job potential. The two Minimally Invasive Fellows at my program are the most sought-after physicians finishing this year. Both have been offered extremely lucrative practice opportunites in great locations. Both have many, many job offers.

Application to the MIS fellowship here at UVa is pretty competitive. Last year there were hundreds of applicants for just two slots. Charlottesville is a great place to live and train (excellent facilities) so many folks sought this program. The program director, Bruce D. Schirmer, MD is an internationally renowned minimally invasive surgeon.

MIS fellows get junior attending status here so the income is pretty nice and well above what the fellows in Cardiothoracic and Vascular make.

You really can't go wrong with a MIS fellowship and the job outlook is off the scale for now because there just aren't enough folks out there who can perform this surgery. Laparoscopic gastric bypass has a very steep learning curve and takes plenty of cases to get facile with the techniques. When the patients do well, life is good but when they have complications, it's a major thash.

njbmd :cool: