GTown or Finch for Post Bac...Which one would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright! I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I wanna know who would choose what program and the number 1 reason why. I don't want explanations as to what each program is about. I just wanna see what the consensu would be here.

Members don't see this ad.

definitely GTown

Georgetown.

their alums have gone to a number of different schools. My understanding is that people who do the Finch thingy go to finch or don't go anywhere in the states. I could be wrong.

Why not look at BU's program? it's got great results and the kids aren't to competitive with each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know nothing about anybody's postbac programs, but Georgetown is in DC and living in DC has got to be cool. I'd love all those monuments and museums.

I don't know ANYTHING about the success rate for G'twon students, but you know you have GUARANTEED admission to med school at Finch if you get that 2.96 GPA....is anything guaranteed at G'Town?

G'town guarantees spots for the top 20 (I think) students. Hence, a very competitive atmosphere.

Gtown in da house!

I don't know if you were in the chat at the time Will, but someone came on there who did G-town's SMP and interviewed at G-town for 2 application cycles and didn't get in on either occasions. I think Finch would be the wiser choice.

-Joe Joe

Go for Georgetown! I was just there for the Fourth, and the town is very cool! Total college atmosphere even in the summer. Only downside is the weather bites! (humid, sticky, yucky)

Based on experience and from what Ive heard about the Georgetown program, Finch is the much better program to go to. First off, purely on numbers, in the AP program this past year at CMS, 54 people graduated (and thus got into med school) out of the 83 or so that started. That's not a bad rate there. At Georgetown on the other hand (heard this at one of my interviews this past year from a student in the Georgetown program) had about the same number to start with....50 or so interviewed, and then in the end only 20-22 would be accepted, and that woudl be an even split of guys and girls (10 and 10 or 11 and 11). So that's about a 25% chance while at FInch the rate was roughly 60 something. It's pretty clear cut which had the higher success rate. Now Georgetown will tell you taht 80 something percent of their students do get into med school eventually, but personally, I think if you're spending all that money, you want to go somewhere that will get you in now, not 2 yrs down the road.

Sure DC is a great city, way better than North Chicago (ha...it's not even right to put the two in the same sentence), but great city or not, that still doesnt hide that 25% rate. And yes, it is possible to go thru the Finch program and still get in at other med schools.

So anyways, that's my 2 cents. I think FInch is the way to go.

To Desi,
My parents live in Chicago. If I choose the AP program, do you think I should move to North Chicago rather than commuting? I'm thinking about taking the Metra to Finch to save money, but it may not me a wise idea. Also, is it very hard to maintain a 3.5 GPA at Finch? Thanks!

I am going to Finch for the AP program. Is anybody looking for roommates or housing?