GTown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

brown98

I have a solid GPA for medical school but an unknown MCAT score....I doubt I did well. I have great EC and LORs. If I do an SMP at GTown, would the classes at SMP be transferred over when I get into medical school. In other words, do I need to take these classes again once I am in medical school?

Also, when is the best time to apply? Under what MCAT score should I retake in order to make myself competitive for SMP at GTown? If I retake in February, would there still be a spot for me? Or is it too late? Any suggestion is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to retake those classes if you get into Gtown med. There are some other med schools that will let you test out of some of those classes (NYMC comes to mind). If u score under 27 on your MCAT, Gtown SMP will not take you. So if you get the 27, apply with that score in January and u should be accepted. If you get less than 27, definitely retake in January or February. You will get your score in Feb or March and will still be in early enough to be accepted. Good luck!

The Georgetown SMP exists mainly for people with low GPA's but okay to good MCAT scores. If your GPA is good (3.6+) there's no need to spend $50,000+ in tuition and living expenses to do the SMP. If your MCAT comes out low, then just study hard and retake it. A Kaplan course costs a lot less than the SMP would.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying another year. I will hopefully be applying to SMPs next year. I was just wondering how its been so far for you guys. How is the workload? Have you had any tests yet and if so, is there a lot of old exams to study from? How is G'town in general?

Best of luck for everything.

Peace... BTW are there any URMs in these programs?

I did it last year, and am now an M1.

You have to work, a lot but its not impossible. They I believe have allready had two tests (one med test) by this point. For some classes you can buy old exams (and I do mean old, 10+ years old) but the best way to study for them is working though the professors objective qustions in the sylabus.

Living in DC is fun whenever you have free time, but you dont have a lot of it. I really enjoyed my other SMPers company, we were a very down to earth, motivated (but not gunnerish) group, it is by far the most stressful year you have ever had and you need that support to get through it. Georgetown is very traditional in the way they teach (no block schedule, and a very steap competive curve for grades) which I personally did not like, but beside those two aspects the school was nice (be sure to get basketball tickets too, those are pure fun.)

It also helps a lot with M1, Im one month into classes and I havent learned anything new yet (anatomy starts in a month) and looking at my schools schedule, I will have parts of classes be review all the way through to the end of M2. I am also getting grades I havent gotten since high school, I am extremely glad I took the SMP last year.

I'll second the sentiment above, if you have a good GPA, just kick up that MCAT score. Think about this, you have 2 options:

1) Spend a year & $32k in tuition for a program that won't improve your MCAT that much or give you much time to study for it. It will open some doors, but not many if you have a good GPA & bad MCAT.

2) Spend a year improving your EC's and studying for the MCAT 24/7, get your MCAT up and have a good GPA and good MCAT w/ better EC's.

Personally, I have a bad GPA and will be doing the GTown SMP and think it's an absolutely fantastic program. If you have any admissions questions, check out their forum - it's very helpful.

i was wondering- is the science GPA cutoff for georgetown strictly 3.0 or is it just a 3.0 overall gpa that is strict?

i was wondering- is the science GPA cutoff for georgetown strictly 3.0 or is it just a 3.0 overall gpa that is strict?

It's 3.0 overall. If you have less than a 3.0, then they have to get a special waiver from some administrative office before they can accept you to the program (I think the 3.0 minimum is university wide for graduate students).

They do "strongly encourage" that applicants have a 3.0+ Sci GPA as well.