G'town vs. UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YanCanCook

That my friend....
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanting to get your thoughts on these two schools.

I am an undergrad here at UVA and originally from just outside of DC, so I am familiar with both areas. As for location, I would like an urban setting but can tolerate Charlottesville for another 4 years. I am in-state for UVA so I will be getting cheaper tuition at UVA. I am thinking about anesthesiology, neurology or IM for residency. I am so torn between the two as they each have solid pro's and con's in my eyes. Any advice selecting between the two would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanting to get your thoughts on these two schools.

I am an undergrad here at UVA and originally from just outside of DC, so I am familiar with both areas. As for location, I would like an urban setting but can tolerate Charlottesville for another 4 years. I am in-state for UVA so I will be getting cheaper tuition at UVA. I am thinking about anesthesiology, neurology or IM for residency. I am so torn between the two as they each have solid pro's and con's in my eyes. Any advice selecting between the two would be greatly appreciated.

Choose UVA so a spot opens up for me at Georgetown!

Kidding, I loved Gtown but I know nothing about UVA. The cheap tuition should give it a big advantage though.

Choose UVA so a spot opens up for me at Georgetown!

Kidding, I loved Gtown but I know nothing about UVA. The cheap tuition should give it a big advantage though.

You should try writing them a letter; I think that's what got me in as I was initially in the competitive applicant pool after a horrible interview on my part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm an undergrad at UVa too and I'm going to UVa Med next year...I was really against staying here for another four years at first but...I think med school will be different enough from undergrad that it won't be the same thing for another four years - I mean don't get me wrong I loved my undergrad years but change is always good. Charlottesville can get a little annoying after four years. Anyway, I would stay at UVa because its a great med school with a great reputation PLUS its cheaper. And the girls from UVa Med c/o 2010 on facebook are hot :p

Coming from a female UVA class of 2010 med student, thanks!

To the OP, I had a similar dillemma with a different twist - I got into both Gtown and UVA and had gone to Gtown undergrad. I LOVE DC and knew C'ville would feel small after a while... and it already does.... but at the same time, I think this was the right decision. People are really happy at this med school, and the faculty and administration take really good care of us students, and you will be busy enough that I don't think it matters as much as undergrad where you are - I mean, what difference does it make if you live in a library in DC or or Charlottesville? :p

Good luck with your decision - I don't think you can go wrong as far as what choice you make. If you have any questions at all, feel free to pm me.

Gtown's medical school is on the rocks. Every year they are almost bankrupt and their facilities are HORRIBLE. Their hospital also doesn't get that much action limiting your exposure. (Everyone I've heard is 2nd hand from people that go to gtown med and gw med, I don't know anything for sure)

Gtown's medical school is on the rocks. Every year they are almost bankrupt and their facilities are HORRIBLE. Their hospital also doesn't get that much action limiting your exposure. (Everyone I've heard is 2nd hand from people that go to gtown med and gw med, I don't know anything for sure)

Yes, Gtown's hospital was on the rocks several years ago, but then in 2000 the hospital became part of MedStar Health, a $2.9 billion non-profit healthcare organization and a community-based network of seven hospitals and other healthcare services in the Baltimore-Washington region. As a Gtown student, you rotate through these hospitals, gaining significant exposure to any and all kinds of medicine, as well as other hospitals in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.

I'm not a Gtown student, but I think it's important to have the facts straight.

Oooh... big surprise... GW student trashing Gtown... :p

SpiresAAC's post above basically has the facts straight.

Why do people feel a need to trash other schools? You got into a school you're presumably happy with? Why tear down another with (incorrect) accusations?

Yes, Gtown's hospital was on the rocks several years ago, but then in 2000 the hospital became part of MedStar Health, a $2.9 billion non-profit healthcare organization and a community-based network of seven hospitals and other healthcare services in the Baltimore-Washington region. As a Gtown student, you rotate through these hospitals, gaining significant exposure to any and all kinds of medicine, as well as other hospitals in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.

I'm not a Gtown student, but I think it's important to have the facts straight.

I'm trying to get a sense of how the clinical years at G'town have changed with this partnership. Any g'town 3rd year's, 4th year's or recent graduates?