Guaifensen and Dexmethrophen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aznfarmerboi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guaifensen losen the phelgm and Dexmethrophen inhibits the cough through the CNS. My question is what is the point of Guaifensen DM if you losen the phelgm, but you dont allow the body to take it out. . .

Members don't see this ad.

You're right. Guiafenesin thins mucosal secretions so what is caught in the bronchi & bronchiles is more easily moved. However, there are often multiple reasons for cough. Sometimes, there is irritation by air movement in the air passages, tightening of the air passages, dryness of the pharyanx and sometimes, just fatigue. Giving a product which works centrally, like dextromethorphan and codeine, reduces these factors (except for the tightening of the air passages, which may need a bronchiodilator) and allows the patient of have a more effective cough and gives a bit of rest.

oops - *bronchioles - can't type & watch TV @ the same time!

Members don't see this ad :)
DM inhibits the cough though. Isnt that counter productive then?

Well....not inhibits, but supresses. I know this sounds like we are splitting hairs, but there are times when a patient has a productive cough, which means there are secretions which need to be removed yet the patient has gotten to the point of cyclic coughing, which makes their cough more shallow. So, if we can calm that cyclic cough, each cough comes from a lower area in the lungs and moves more secretions up (allowing better oxygenation lower). In a more extreme example, a narcotic (usually codeine, but there are others used - ie Robitussin AC) is used to actually give rest because the patient is too fatigued to actually cough, even though the fluid is loose enough to do so. Think about when you've had a very bad URI - when you went to sleep, you knew you would cough, but you didn't want to cough every hour. When they come and ask your advice, you'll hear symptoms like this - I cough so much I can't sleep (after you've ascertained their cough is productive) Now...if the patient has a nonproductive cyclic cough (a dry cough) I'll advise dextromethophan alone - no need for the guiafenesin (although it won't hurt and is often less expensive).

sdn1977 said:
Well....not inhibits, but supresses. I know this sounds like we are splitting hairs, but there are times when a patient has a productive cough, which means there are secretions which need to be removed yet the patient has gotten to the point of cyclic coughing, which makes their cough more shallow. So, if we can calm that cyclic cough, each cough comes from a lower area in the lungs and moves more secretions up (allowing better oxygenation lower). In a more extreme example, a narcotic (usually codeine, but there are others used - ie Robitussin AC) is used to actually give rest because the patient is too fatigued to actually cough, even though the fluid is loose enough to do so. Think about when you've had a very bad URI - when you went to sleep, you knew you would cough, but you didn't want to cough every hour. When they come and ask your advice, you'll hear symptoms like this - I cough so much I can't sleep (after you've ascertained their cough is productive) Now...if the patient has a nonproductive cyclic cough (a dry cough) I'll advise dextromethophan alone - no need for the guiafenesin (although it won't hurt and is often less expensive).

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the information.

Coughing is an important reflex in clearing the airways (Mucus). According to literature I have read a productive cough shouldn't really be suppressed. Dry hacking coughs or coughs induced by post nasal drip are irritating and non-productive and therefore are ok to suppress. Although, if the cough is productive but your patient is experiencing extreme irritation (i.e. can't sleep at night) a cough suppressent is warranted.