premedsoldja

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,
I am a rising senior (that hsould be studying for MCAT in 1 month) that plans on applying this year. I have low stats (3.2 gpa at wash u) and the pre-med advisors told me that i should strongly consider a post-bac program. She even mentioned post-bac programs that guarantee a spot in their medical school class per completion of hte program (Drexel, Wake Forest). Do you guys know of any other schools that that give you a guaranteed spot in the medical school class? it doesn't even have to be a post-bac program, just any freaking way to get into med school no matter how long i have to wait or what i have to do?

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
premedsoldja said:
Hi everyone,
I am a rising senior (that hsould be studying for MCAT in 1 month) that plans on applying this year. I have low stats (3.2 gpa at wash u) and the pre-med advisors told me that i should strongly consider a post-bac program. She even mentioned post-bac programs that guarantee a spot in their medical school class per completion of hte program (Drexel, Wake Forest). Do you guys know of any other schools that that give you a guaranteed spot in the medical school class? it doesn't even have to be a post-bac program, just any freaking way to get into med school no matter how long i have to wait or what i have to do?
There are a few and its not neccessarily "guaranteed admission". Its more of a "conditional admission". You still have to perform up to a very high standard, and these programs are usually very competative go get into due to obvious reasons. For example, over here in CA, Scripps post-bacc program is linked to the med school at George Washington. But the minimum GPA for getting in is a 3.3, and obviously the people that get in have a higher GPA.

Its certainly cool to have some kind of "light at the end of the tunnel" in terms of getting into med school, but ultimately, having a high GPA/MCAT, strong LORs, PS, and ECs are the best way to get there. A high GPA/MCAT allows gives you a good chance at being admitted to med school or being admitted to a post-bacc program that has a linkage. Nothing wrong with these linkage programs, but I wouldn't put all my hopes into something like that, rather I would push hard to be a good applicant.

But to answer your questions, Mills College in northern California has a linkage to Tulane SoM. There are several others in the US too, but those are the only ones i've been exposed to.

silkworm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2004
Bardo
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Agree with above posters. For non-disadvantaged applicants who already finished the pre-requisites, there are no guaranteed admission post-bach programs. The closest thing to what you want is a Special Master Program.

yoyo13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2005
Status
EVMS (eastern virginia medical school) has a program (the medical masters program) that you might be interested in, it is not a guaranteed acceptance into their medical school but last year 17 of the 18 people in the program were admitted as MS1 into EVMS the following year so its almost a guarantee, of course you do have to do well, but if you are accepted into the medical school you don't have to retake the classes you excelled in, and they will accept student with lower GPAs if you they have strong MCATs