Guaranteed Spot with a Ph.D.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sivastraba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have posted previously my past situation of not having matched in PM&R the last year. Anyway, I wasn't succesful getting anything during the scramble period. As a result, I am currently carrying out research without pay. I think I have done some significant improvements for the application this year such as carrying two electives in good academic institutions, increasing my GPA, about to get a paper published from a research during the 4th year of Med School. However, there are other things which you can't change such as the scores you get on your USMLE's (mid 190's) , a failure in a course, etc. I seem to be a little bit selective in the sort of program I want to match into, since I personally think that you get more experience on public University academic settings. This obviously will determine the kind of expertise you will have after finishing you residency. I am not going to whine on how hard these 4-5 years have been for me. I feel so frustrated seeing many of my classmate graduate colleagues already having a job, and I am still unemployed and with a debt that keeps increasing. I screwed up in the CS, so I have to take it a second time. The sarcastic thing about it is that I payed for a prep course (Falcon Reviews) before taking this test. I didn't pay for a prep course for my USMLES's 1 and 2 and passed them the first time. I spent around 4-5K's the last year on my interview trail, and who knows how much I will spend this year. I have spent around 5-7k's for Step 2CS. I am not sure if I will get more interviews this year. Although, I have applied to almost all the programs in the mainland The bottom line: PM&R is really what I want, and I honestly I don't see myself doing anything else. This entire training process has been to grueling for me. I really wouldn't want to waste another 3-4 years in graduate studies. However, if getting a Ph.D. is the only other way I will get more respect from admission commitees evaluating my application; I definitely think this is the path I will pursue. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or comments?

Members don't see this ad.

So you spend more time and more money getting a phD just to get into PM&R - would it really be worth it for you? I dont' think PhD is a guarantee "in". Did you ever get any feedback as to why you didn't match the first time around? Did you get interviews? If so, did you mess up there? Obviously, your committment to the field is admirable. If you can find someone who knows your application to comment honestly about what went wrong, I think that would help. How about finding one PD, showing him/her your whole application and asking them for feedback? Obviously, if there's a fatal flaw that you are not aware of, getting a PhD won't help.

you have too many red flags you need to address before you focus on a phd as the solution:
failing a course
failing step2 CS
poor board scores
non 'mainland' school (?)
not matching once before

If I were you I'd get into a prelim/transitional or even cateogrical medicine program asap. At least then you can display and improve your clinical skills. Research is not gonna impress any pm&r program with as many red flags as you have.
Or look at it this way, in 3-4 years you could have a phd or be finished with an int medicine residency. Which do you think gives a better chance towards getting into PM&R?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Sivastraba was in a non-accredited intern program - unpaid - if I remember correctly... You're right though Gauss, finding an accredited prelim program would be of benefit if possible.

Are failing a class or Step 2 CS really a huge red flag?

I heard that a significantly higher portion of students than expected the CS last year and that tweaking was involved to not make that portion higher than what it originally was...

As for failing a class....as long as you can provide reasoning why... :confused: