Oct 8, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi, everyone! I have included a TL;DR at the bottom if you wish to gloss over the detail.

To offer you a bit of a background on me in that it may influence your thought process, I am a former finance professional. I am fully licensed in finance (Series 7, 63, 65) with a distinguished six year career. After accomplishing some material objectives for my family, I am finally able to pursue my childhood dream of becoming a DDS.

I have just finished my third tri and going into my fourth. I have finished all of my sciences excluding genetics, which I plan to take next tri. I have a GPA of 3.92.

I have done HOURS of research online, but everyone is pulling in a hundred different ways, it feels like. Many DAT-focused websites were recommending that the #1 tool for DAT Prep is Kaplan, which I recently purchased their Self-Pace Plus study package. However, it appears that many folks here are recommending other tools.

I have taken the Kaplan Benchmark exam. I scored 14AA, 14 TS, 13 Bio, 14 Chem, 16 OChem, 16 RC, 13 QC, 12 PAT. I am not worried about this score too much. I didn't do any material review pre-exam. I also rushed through most questions since time was a huge challenge for me. I recognized almost all of my questions asked, but because I had not gone over them in some time, I had forgot the nuance and the detail. I feel like with some brushing up, I'll be okay.

With all of this said, I would love guidance. What tools are best for someone like me? There is no cost I will spare. I am dead-set on accomplishing a 26 on my DAT. I will be doing 8-10 days for the next two months to take my exam in December. My objective is to get into dental school by August 2021. Challenging, perhaps, but I think it can be done.

The reason I am aiming for a 26 is because I do not have the field experience of many or most of my competition. My background is fully Finance. Distinguished it may be, but that's finance and this is dental. I also would like to get into a specific dental school that's extremely competitive. It's critically important to me that I accomplish this 26.

Too long; didn't read summary:
Background: Finance exclusively
GPA: 3.92; Science GPA: 3.92
Kaplan Benchmark DAT Score: 14AA, 14 TS, 13 Bio, 14 Chem, 16 OChem, 16 RC, 13 QC, 12 PAT
Initial Challenges: Time kicked my butt, material review, etc, across all categories
DAT Score Objective: 26
Reasoning for Score Objective: 1.) Wish to get into a specific dental school that I absolutely love
2.) Lack dental field experience; need this score to be competitive
Current DAT Study Program: Kaplan's Self Pace (One week into it)
Budget: Open
Hours available set to study: 8-10 hours a day with one day off a week
DAT Exam date: Early to Mid December

Questions:
* What programs/material do you guys recommend that will help me accomplish my goal of 26AA?
* What do you guys think of the Kaplan material? Should I continue with it or discard it now since I do not have much time to begin with?

Show me the light, folks! Words couldn't express how grateful I would be for any guidance, advice, and recommendations.

Ali

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Currently going through this application season so take this advice however you see fit.

My first recommendation is plan more than 2 months to study if you want to get that score without risk. For some two months may be enough, but I think that is true for an exceedingly small portion of people. I understand this is challenging given your plan to get in this cycle.
Second tip would be to try and get more dental experience, regardless of getting a 26 or not I think dental experience is important (just some form of shadowing would be adequate).
It took me 3 months to get to a 20 on practice tests, and took another 3 to get to 26s/27s on practice tests. I have a breakdown (you can prob find via my profile) if you want to see what I did.

I have no idea about Kaplan but I haven't heard amazing things.

Best of luck!

Dec 18, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
I recently took my DAT and tried to use the Kaplan blue book to study at first and did not really like it, the material was not all that relevant and I have heard that most of the material is just recycled MCAT material. I would personally recommend using DATBooster for mastering the DAT it helped me score a 25 and if you need even more practice I would recommend using DATDestroyer as it will give you lots of higher-level questions. I also think that you do not need a 26 to get into dental school, work on your experience first, try to get some dental shadowing in, or maybe work as an assistant part-time but you really need the experience. I know you can do it, a 26 on the DAT is achievable but without a science background, you will have to up in a lot more work than most of the traditional students, so I would set aside closer to 4 months of full time studying to achieve that goal but you might be able to squeeze it into 2 or 3.

Apr 27, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Got a 25AA using Chads videos/CrackDAT to review, and Destroyer and CrackDAT to test myself.
Kaplan is not the way to go.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads