Guidance for Air Force Non-trad app

Started by Ronab0n
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ronab0n

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Before I start I just want to say thank you for your time should you be reading this post.

- Graduated in 2012 with a Degree in Molecular cell and developmental biology. Total GPA 3.3 & sGPA is 3.5. Took my MCAT twice and failed miserably 23 and then 21. Wasn't in the right state of mind or maturity to be honest.

- After graduating I was a tutor at a community college teaching chemistry and biology.

- 2013 I joined the Air Force and I'm currently a Nuclear Launch and Operations officer and have been serving ever since

- I want to get an MPH before applying because the Air Force has tuition assistance and would help pay for partial or all of a degree depending on the school. Free schooling yay!

- Currently working part time as a medical scribe for Scribe America and doing part time research in Biochem at a local university where I'm stationed.

My questions are:
1) If I retake my MCAT and receive a score of 30+ do I stand a chance for applying to medical school? DO school?
2) Does it matter what school I choose to get my MPH in? I was thinking Liberty University because the Air Force will pay for my entire tuition.
3) I'm going to be taking anatomy and physiology possibly microbiology, pharmacology to boost my undergrad GPA + sGPA as well as help prepare myself for a medical program. Is this a good idea?
4) Is there anything a non trad applicant should focus on to boost their application before applying?
 
Get some DO shadowing, the mph won't be anythig special unless you just really want it. if I were you I would focuse on retaking the prereqs you had a B in to raise your gpa and review for the mcat. It's ambitious to assume you can go from a 23 when taking the classes to a 30 years later without a lot of catch up
 
Get some DO shadowing, the mph won't be anythig special unless you just really want it. if I were you I would focuse on retaking the prereqs you had a B in to raise your gpa and review for the mcat. It's ambitious to assume you can go from a 23 when taking the classes to a 30 years later without a lot of catch up
Agreed that is a little ambitious. Currently overseeing some DOs as well as MDs at my scribe position. Are my chances very limited or non existant for MD schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed that is a little ambitious. Currently overseeing some DOs as well as MDs at my scribe position. Are my chances very limited or non existant for MD schools?
With a 3.3 and a low 20s mcat you aren't getting anywhere near an MD school. 3.5 ish and a high twenties can make you ronabon, DO
 
Agree with the above.

1. Don't get an MPH unless you're really interested in public health and are strongly considering doing public health work in the future. The degree itself will help very little to boost your application and certainly won't make up for a low GPA or MCAT.

2. Taking anatomy and physiology is a good plan. You can also take other upper division science courses to boost your GPA.

3. If you want MD, you'll need a 30+ MCAT and a strong upward trend of 3.6+ GPA for multiple semesters. For DO you'll need a 25+ MCAT at least.