Guidance Required

Started by MZA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MZA

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear forum seniors, first of all congratulation to all of you who matched this year. This is indeed great achievement. I am an IMG and doing my residency on J-1 visa. I am interested in Hem/Onc and have been preparing my CV for a while. But i have some serious issue. Due to some unfortunate reasons i became about 6 months off-cycle in me residency. Now due to this issue i, obviously can't apply for a match (next year), And being on J-1 visa, i can't wait to apply for next year as i will be finishing my residency in december and will have no training position in between and in that case J-1 2 year home residency rule will apply on me.

I know my situation is a complex one but i would really appreciate if someone can guide me and give me any kind of input to deal with this situation without going for J-1 waiver. I would really appreciate any kind of input. I am very frustrated with this situation and needs your sincere advice.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
 
You may need to search actively for an open PGY-4 position right after you finish your residency. Or if you are a stellar applicant, maybe they could begin your fellowship on a later date. Hope everything works out.
 
Dear forum seniors, first of all congratulation to all of you who matched this year. This is indeed great achievement. I am an IMG and doing my residency on J-1 visa. I am interested in Hem/Onc and have been preparing my CV for a while. But i have some serious issue. Due to some unfortunate reasons i became about 6 months off-cycle in me residency. Now due to this issue i, obviously can't apply for a match (next year), And being on J-1 visa, i can't wait to apply for next year as i will be finishing my residency in december and will have no training position in between and in that case J-1 2 year home residency rule will apply on me.

I know my situation is a complex one but i would really appreciate if someone can guide me and give me any kind of input to deal with this situation without going for J-1 waiver. I would really appreciate any kind of input. I am very frustrated with this situation and needs your sincere advice.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Your options:

1) Chief year for 6 month at your program
2) Do waiver and reapply after green card
3) Apply for fellowship, but only home program hemonc program director can wait for your 6 month late start...chances very slim