Step III required for fellowship application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biobruin03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a soon to be PGY2 applying for heme/onc fellowship as part of a "fast-track" in my residency program. I have yet to take step III and I'm mixed messages about whether it's required as part of the application. So, my question is, do you I need to have taken it and have a score before I can apply for fellowship? Or can I take it later in the year? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Define "required". By ACGME? Nope. ABMS/ABIM? Nope. Individual programs? Maybe. But you'll need to contact them to find out.

Required to make up for a crappy Step 1 or 2? Maybe. But nobody really cares about Step 3 since it's far and away the easiest of the Steps.

If you are short tracking, isnt "applying" just a formality? I assume you have already been accepted by your programs heme/onc department. Just take the test, you need it for a medical license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump!

I really need to know. I have been blessed with many fellowship interviews at great places. However, I'm still a US IMG and take step 3 in a month. Will they even rank me?

Bump!

I really need to know. I have been blessed with many fellowship interviews at great places. However, I'm still a US IMG and take step 3 in a month. Will they even rank me?
Program dependent. But presumably if they cared about it, they would have mentioned it at the interview.

Besides, what can you do about it now anyway?