biobruin03

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2012
Status (Visible)
Hi All,

I'm a soon to be PGY2 applying for heme/onc fellowship as part of a "fast-track" in my residency program. I have yet to take step III and I'm mixed messages about whether it's required as part of the application. So, my question is, do you I need to have taken it and have a score before I can apply for fellowship? Or can I take it later in the year? Thanks!

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Define "required". By ACGME? Nope. ABMS/ABIM? Nope. Individual programs? Maybe. But you'll need to contact them to find out.

Required to make up for a crappy Step 1 or 2? Maybe. But nobody really cares about Step 3 since it's far and away the easiest of the Steps.

IM2GI

7+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you are short tracking, isnt "applying" just a formality? I assume you have already been accepted by your programs heme/onc department. Just take the test, you need it for a medical license.

About the Ads

tundri

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2010
Rochester NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Bump!

I really need to know. I have been blessed with many fellowship interviews at great places. However, I'm still a US IMG and take step 3 in a month. Will they even rank me?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Bump!

I really need to know. I have been blessed with many fellowship interviews at great places. However, I'm still a US IMG and take step 3 in a month. Will they even rank me?
Program dependent. But presumably if they cared about it, they would have mentioned it at the interview.

Besides, what can you do about it now anyway?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.