SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Guidelines for Observing Clinical Groups?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Freudian Slip, May 16, 2014.

1. Freudian Slip

Freudian Slip 2+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Next week I will be observing my first clinical group (social skills training for people with schizophrenia in an outpatient setting) and I was wondering-- any tips for observation? I know it seems like a silly question, but what exactly do you do when you observe a clinical group? Do you introduce yourself? Talk? What shouldn't you do?

I know it must vary from site to site-- but what have been your experiences?

Thanks for the help... I'm nervous!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. erg923

erg923 Regional Clinical Officer, Cenpatico National 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    This is really a question for your supervsior, not us. Varying degrees of involvment would be expected based on where you are in your training.

4. A Blue Duck

A Blue Duck

Apr 17, 2014
    Don't be nervous. The therapist/psychologist will likely take the reins with the practical stuff- introducing you to the group or allowing you to say a few words about who you are and why you are there. In the groups I've observed (inpatient and IOP), the psychologist briefed the group that I would be coming in advance, to make sure everyone was comfortable with the idea. Almost always everyone has been receptive and really quite curious about who I am and what I am studying/researching.

For the most part you won't be participating in any of the exercises. Things such as talking about weekly goals and gains/setbacks, you obviously will not be able to answer, and will not be expected to. Things like mindfulness exercises...I don't see why you couldn't participate as well- I usually did. Overall, just remember why you are there- to learn about the dynamics of group therapy and gain exposure to a (potential) clinical group of interest. Focus on what the therapist is saying and trying to achieve when he/she speaks, and focus on the patients and their problems when they speak.

I would probably only talk when you are directly asked a question, unless the psychologist tells you otherwise. It's likely not a good idea to ask follow-up questions to patients or to offer your own advice- that is simply not why you are there. Questions you have are things that can hopefully be discussed with the psychologist/therapist after the session.

Oh yeah- note taking. I always did it and no one batted an eye, but I can see how in some settings it may be problematic. I would check with your supervisor, and, obviously, just don't write down personal information.

CheetahGirl and Freudian Slip like this.
  5. Freudian Slip

Dec 16, 2013
    Thank you so much, A Blue Duck. This has been most helpful! I feel a lot less anxious just simply knowing the psychologist will most likely take the lead with the practical stuff. As a new student, it is all the little unknowns that can make a situation seem daunting. Thanks again!

6. erg923

erg923 Regional Clinical Officer, Cenpatico National 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Please don't take notes in a group of schizophrenics on your first day...

G Costanza and CheetahGirl like this.
  7. CheetahGirl

CheetahGirl Clinical Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2007
    formerly from Atlanta, GA
    Agreed. My rule for note-taking would be only at the beginning of group to write down everyone's name (and position) at the table/circle. I would also disclose in the beginning that I may jot down notes if I want to remember something, but generally did not (because of various levels of paranoia among group members).

8. I never took notes during groups I observed or participated in as a student. I felt it would be too obtrusive to the group process. I would suggest doing your best to blend in, observe, and listen. A previous poster mentioned to not give advice, I want to strongly second that. The giving of advice can be very disruptive to a group process. In fact, you might observe group members who advise as opposed to empathize, pay attention to how that affects people. Look at non-verbals and body language, too, that is an essential skill to develop.

Freudian Slip likes this.
  9. Freudian Slip

Dec 16, 2013
    All great tips. Thanks everyone!

10. By the way. I personally love groups both as a facilitator and as a participant and think that it can be a highly effective mechanism for change so I hope that you enjoy this introduction to the group process. I have found that they can be an effective and inexpensive means for good self-care as a psychologist.

Freudian Slip likes this.