Gulf Medical College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tabstar

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone have any opinions on the Gulf Medical College in Dubai? I would appreciate your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would contact ECFMG and ask if it is recognized...
Make sure if you're going... see if you can take the USMLE and are recognized by the Texas Board of Medical Examiners... if you're interested lemme know, I know someone who goes there and might be able to answer more questions...

haloo...

i went to GMC and as i know it is not yet recognized ...

because its still new in dubai and no one yet has be graduated

i know a student there and she changed her collage as soon as she knew about GMC.

* am in dubai so if youi need any help or Q. am ready to answer.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well yes I found it is a relatively new school but it is supposed to be better than Dubai Medical College. So it does not yet have graduates that can take the appropriate ECFMG/USMLE exams. I also understand that the quality and expenses are much better than DubaI Medical College.
My sister got accepted and from what I understand she was chosen from a huge applicant pool because it has gotten very competitive. So that's what I've heard. I'm not going to be too worried about that because it is currently undergoing accreditation process from what I understand and if DMC was accepted I'm sure that GMC will be accepted as well.
Any thoughts?

Hey,
I am an Egyptian born in the USA. I was looking at this college. It seems very nice. I understand the intruction medium in English. I wonder why it is not in the WHO or the ECFMG. Does anyone know how competitive it is? Do they consider students from the USA?

Thanks very much,
A

I just got accepted today, and the school got accredited by WHO on June 30th, 2004. I took the tour, and seems like a very nice school. Im from Canada, and as soon as they found out that I had 3 years of undergrad under my belt, i was in pretty good shape. Interview was not hard at all, and the applicant pool doesnt seem to be too large. I think that if youre coming from the poorer countries(ie not first world) it is more difficult.

Do they accept mature international students?

well,im a graduate from DMC,i applied from pakistan to GMC initially,but chose DMC(which is more difficult to get into).DMC kicks u out if u dont maintain a minimum of 60%passmark(for which you r allowed 3 tries).2 of my friends,in my year failed,and were kicked out,and joined GMC without any problem.Our histopathology teacher taught at GMC for a while and was teaching us,mentioned we were much better because GMC students r only good at anatomy(for medicine you need to know everything,not just anatomy).In pakistan DMC students r equivalent to the University of Aga khan medical graduates(which r the best in asia.We have recognition from the pakistan medical council(PMDC)and got it 2years before GMC,GMC misinformed the khaleej times,by claiming they were the first and the only ones...further proof is that i interned in the pakistan navy hospital(PNS Shifa)by merit and would never have been able to had DMC not been recognised by PMDC(to name a few)And we have 100's of doctors practicing succesfully in the US,UK,Canada,Pakistan,India and arab countries.
thankyou.
(atlanta,USA)

I have a question for Farina. If DMC is recognized by PMDC does that mean the students are exempt from taking the PMDC exam Please reply because I am a DMC student and I intend to go to Pakistan to do internship but I am under the impression that the PMDC exam is a must for every foreign graduate.

hi :)

can you tell me how to prepare for the Gulf Medical College entrance test.
Also what is the student life like in the GMC college.

thnx:)

Hello everyone,

I'm French and I'm currently living in the UAE. I'm planning to enroll into GMC next year September 2011. I just wanted some information about its accreditation and stuff.

It is now accredited. But I want to know what you guys did after finishing your studies at GMC. Were you accepted everywhere in the world? Is GMC's standard at par with world standards?

Please reply to me :) Thanks

Hey guys,

I am an Indian living in America and am looking into GMC. I wanted to know some things about the ratio of stsudent body in terms of number of international vs local students. If the college is accredited so that I may do my residency in America.(ie. is it harder to do residency in america if I were to take my USMLE after doing medicine at GMC instead of India).

Also, I heard about a program that you could do 2 years at GMC and the other 2 years at an affiliated college in NY. Is this true??

Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks