Guy with EARRINGS for INTERVIEW...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneStrongBro

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I saw a guy with a hoop earring in one of my interviews at Penn State. I thought he was shooting himself in the foot, however he seemed very down to earth, and he did have a 3.7 GPA and 34 MCAT.

I wonder if ADCOM's will deny this guy based on this fashion faux pas. I Bet the ADCOM's will purposely give a poor interview
grade.

Also, what do you people think of guys wearing earrings during interviews, and wearing them as a medical student?

I bet there is a gender difference in this response (i.e. specify if you are male or female).

Members don't see this ad.

Mmm I dunno how adcoms think, there could be two ways of thinking:

Negative: totally unprofessional

Positive: He is very comfortable with who he is and that shows confidence

As for wearing earrings as a medical student, my friend is a 2nd year medical student who wears an earring.....and he sure as heck gets a lot of chicks

But personally, I think guys with earrings are hot :D

Female here...

I didn't wear earrings to the interview. As a matter of fact, I don't wear them at all. But even if I did, I wouldn't wear them at an interview unless they were little studs, because they detract from the interviewers' attention to YOU. Unless, of course, you're one to wear the hunter green suit, then all bets are off and anything goes. ;)

Oh, and btw, some guys I saw at interviews had WAY too much grease on the hair (to the point of being overly-tall spikes). To me, that's much much worse than a hoop earring. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 6 ear piercings and used to have the old tongue pierced. I decided a few years ago to take all of them out because I didn't want them to compromise my ability to get good letters of rec, etc. In an ideal world it shouldn't matter, but I'm afraid that nobody is truly free of bias. The tongue is surely closed up, but I doubt if I'd even wear the earings again. I am getting a little old for that stuff. Ever see guys in their 30s, 40s, and 50s (besides bikers and carnies) with earings? It just doesn't look right.

What do u mean? Do u have a new tongue? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p

My thoughts...being a male with a left cartiledge hoop

I'm done interviewing already and I've been to 11 different schools. So far I've heard from 5 places and things have been very positive (hooray for top choice!). The interviewer at Sinai even asked me all about the story behind the piercing and what was my motivation for having it (I still got in :) I noticed other interviewers looking at my ear, but didn't say too much about it.

At Pitt, the 15 minute meeting with the ADCOM lady was about whether her son (who is my age) should get an earring or not, and that she liked mine. Guess I'll know in March whether she really liked it or not...

So yes, it definitely does bring attention, but I wouldn't consider it negative in any way (I agree with the greasy hair / overly doused in cologne / poor hygeine is worse). And whether I'll wear it next year, you better believe it - it makes me feel badass j/k. My gf loves it now anyway, so there's another not too bad reason.

Happy holidays from a very bored person...

Looks like most people have had positive experiences ... I wore a small silver hoop in college and took it out by senior year, because my family hassled me so much about it.

I think even though many people are okay with it, or even positive about it, even one negative experience isn't worth the risk. For example, if my dad was an interviewer, he'd definitely give me negative points, because he is very old school and doesn't get it.

Medicine is still a very conservative profession, and though I understand individuality and being comfortable with who you are, I think one can make a case for looking as 'neutral' as possible at the interview just so you can avoid any sort of problem. Frankly, I've never head someone say, "Man, that interviewee wasn't wearing an earring ... What a lame-o!"

Once you get in and start classes, grow out the hair again, put in the earring, and 'be yourself', at least up till clinicals ...

my two cents,

Simul

My gen chem prof, who is also head of the health professions committee (the ones who write the committee letter to med skools) and head of the Graduate School Forensics Department wears a gold chain around his neck. He's a pretty cool guy, and wrote me an awesome letter.

Several years ago an applicant interviewed at Michigan with an eyebrow ring. He got in. It's about who you are. :)

Chances are that tasteful jewelry either won't be noticed or won't count against you.

Honestly, though, what do guys have to gain by wearing jewelry?

In my opinion, you can only lose ground by offending someone or by appearing unprofessional. The jewelry can't help you, but it can hurt you.

Take it out for your interview, wear it on the first day of medical school.

Cheers,

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins

What kind of ******* wears a fricking earring in the first place. Guys should NOT wear earrings. Freakin' women. That is so gay.

And its' unprofessional. Be yourself, but that doesn't mean wearing a fcuking earring....

Haha, what douche bags...

Gummy

I'm female and did wear small earrings to all my interviews so far. I also have a cartilage pierce I meant to take out before the interviews, but forgot for my first interview. One of the interviewers at that school looked at it kind of skepitcally and asked me how long i'd had it and if it had hurt and if so why did i get it. I guess it didn't matter that much, cause I got into the school, but I remembered to take it out for the rest of my interviews. I think it detracts from the interview and focuses on one thing too much, and let's face it, random piercings are not going to look all that professional. But I still wear it most other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gumshoe
What kind of ******* wears a fricking earring in the first place. Guys should NOT wear earrings. Freakin' women. That is so gay.

And its' unprofessional. Be yourself, but that doesn't mean wearing a fcuking earring....

Haha, what douche bags...

Gummy

Why are you an ass? :confused:

I also don't think there's anything to gain by wearing an ear ring. OF COURSE there are folks that get in who happen to be wearing earrings, but i also bet there are folks that also probably don't get in b/c of them. It only takes one negative for some folks to begin looking down at everything else you say!

In one of my interviews, I asked the interviewer who was this older cardiologist, what he looks for in an applicant. He told me, someone who is confident , yet not cocky. Someone who is respectful of where he is and who he is talking to. He specifically mentioned dress and attire as well, and he pointed out how some interviewees don't wear ties and some wear all sorts of jewelry...

so my point is-- IT'S VARIABLE. The success of your interview is very dependent on WHO your interviewer is.
Earrings just don't help-- so why wear them?

but hey that's just my opinion... i could care less if you wear them or you don't.

i am a chick and I left my cartilage piercing in for all of my interviews - i dont think it has made a diff. But then again, i do wear my hair down....hmmm...one time i think i absentmindedly played with my hair and I noticed my student interviewer at UCSD looking at my earring - hmmm maybe thats why i was waitlisted! ;)

Originally posted by laviddee
I also don't think there's anything to gain by wearing an ear ring. OF COURSE there are folks that get in who happen to be wearing earrings, but i also bet there are folks that also probably don't get in b/c of them. It only takes one negative for some folks to begin looking down at everything else you say!

In one of my interviews, I asked the interviewer who was this older cardiologist, what he looks for in an applicant. He told me, someone who is confident , yet not cocky. Someone who is respectful of where he is and who he is talking to. He specifically mentioned dress and attire as well, and he pointed out how some interviewees don't wear ties and some wear all sorts of jewelry...

so my point is-- IT'S VARIABLE. The success of your interview is very dependent on WHO your interviewer is.
Earrings just don't help-- so why wear them?

but hey that's just my opinion... i could care less if you wear them or you don't.

well said! ...and this reply also applies to wearing makeup, other jewelry, having visible tattoos, or even wearing a hunter green suit! :)

must be a cultural thing...i believe african-american women tend to wear earrings (bigger than studs). although i hate to admit it.

i think men should leave their earrings at home...

Originally posted by OneStrongBro
First of all, I saw a guy with a hoop earring in one of my interviews at Penn State. I thought he was shooting himself in the foot, however he seemed very down to earth, and he did have a 3.7 GPA and 34 MCAT.

I wonder if ADCOM's will deny this guy based on this fashion faux pas. I Bet the ADCOM's will purposely give a poor interview
grade.

Also, what do you people think of guys wearing earrings during interviews, and wearing them as a medical student?

I bet there is a gender difference in this response (i.e. specify if you are male or female).

I would not wear an earring to an interview. For every one interviewer who thinks it's ok, you'll probably find 2-3 old farts who think its less than stellar. Now, this begs the question "Do I want to go to such a close-minded place?" but that's up to you to decide.

PS: How did you know this other guys GPA and MCAT scores? It's actually kind of creepy.

mike

Would you believe that one of the other interviewees at the last school I visited called me "ballsy" for not shaving off my goatee for the interview?
The thought of shaving off my goatee for interviews hadn't even crossed my mind at any point during the app process.

I actually felt bad for the poor guy.... he was saying how he hated shaving his the night before.

My guess is that, if you're well-groomed otherwise, and speak and behave professionally, an earring is not going to make much of a difference for a guy.

I actually wore some fairly large earrings, compared to the rest of you ladies here. But my interview group included one person in 4-inch heels, and another in a maroon pantsuit, and someone else wearing black pinstripes. So I hardly stood out.

And I should note that none of them seemed to be dressed inappropriately. Uncomfortably, yes. Inappropriately, no.

I was in the elevator at my place of work (a cancer hospital) one time a couple years ago. At the time, I had an eyebrow ring, three earrings in one ear, and one in the other. Additionally the tattoo on my leg was showing. Anyways, this lady in the elevator asked if I was going upstairs to visit my dad. I politely said 'no'. Then she asked where my dad worked then. I told her and she was surprised it was 50 miles away. She then got real uptight and asked what I was doing there and where I was going. I (again politely) said, 'Well, I'm in my final year of working on my PhD studying molecular genetics and I was heading to my lab, what brings you here ma'am?' She was speechless.

It's sad but true, in the real world people will first judge you by your appearance. You may be an outstanding individual, but many people may not have the time to experience your personality long enough to get past the holes in your face.

Take the jewelry out. Put it back in when you're done with your interview. In a few years you won't have them anymore anyways.

Originally posted by Samoa
Yeah, but an eyebrow ring, multiple ear piercings and a tattoo are hardly in the same category as a single small hoop.

I was giving an extreme example of how much of a difference appearance can make. My example was just in a casual setting in an elevator where I wasn't under scrutiny for medical school admissions. Now let's reduce the number of holes in my face, put a suit on me, plop me in an interview setting where I'm under a microscope pining for my fate and interviewing with a professional individual, who helps to decide that fate. This person is scrutinizing every aspect of my being and potential as a physician.

And I'm sitting there with one earring in my ear. Why take the chance to make a rough and perhaps questionable first impression?

I think a tiny stud in the ear for a guy would be OK, but wouldn't push it beyond that. However, I believe an individual (male) who used to post on here a lot was admitted to EVMS and MCV with two earrings and shoulder length hair so you never know. There are several guys in my class with earrings (mostly Asian) but I don't know if they wore them for the interview or not. Like everything on SDN, please take my $.02 and others' with a grain of salt. I personally wore a dark blue (but not navy) skirt suit with matching flats and a tasteful matching dark paisley pattern collarless blouse, and was admitted to 2 schools in spite of not wearing the black suit/white blouse attire of other female applicants. And at one of the schools which eventually accepted me, I committed a real fashion faux pas; tore huge runs in my pantyhose (long story) right before the interview and forgot to bring a replacement. So there is always hope. The guy at PSU sounds to me like he would be in trouble not b/c of the earring but b/c of his attitude, I mean who brags about their MCAT scores to other interviewees? Even if you are asked, it is really none of other people's business.

i agree with katie; as long as it is small and discrete, it should be fine.

i have a pierced nose and i was debating about whether to leave the stud in or not for interviews. i decided to leave the stud in because it just seemed strange to take it out (it's been in ever since i got my nose pierced, which was several years ago) and i wouldn't want to be in an environment that is so close-minded to base an admissions decision on whether one has pierced body parts or not. i've received two acceptances thus far and no interviewer has made any kind of negative remarks about it yet. the dean at pitt asked me how i got my unique style (my retro frames, nose piercing, haircut, and handbag) and told me that i stood out (in a good way) from all the other applicants. i'm not saying one should dress in an extreme manner to direct attention or anything (it's your application that should set you apart), but if you have a quirky style, don't be afraid to show it, as long as you're not going overboard.

i've kept the stud in during all my interviews (including some at stuffy schools) and will let you know how it turns out.

-r

I guess it's just differing views, but I don't agree with the argument that 'I wouldn't want to go to a school that is so close minded'. It wouldn't be that the interview report would say: "Mr. Parikh seemed like a genuinely sincere applicant and very intelligent. Unfortunately, he was wearing an earring, and I cannot agree to throw my weight of my support for him". Plus, when I'm down to one school, I'll get down on all fours and bark for 'em if it means getting in.

As you are an individual applicant, there are individual admissions members and they would be far more subtle in there judgement of you. I don't think it would reflect wholly on the school if someone who interviewed me put a negative flavor on their report, nor does it reflect on my character if I wear multiple piercings.

My concern is that because the profession is so conservative and that patients are used to seeing doctors look a certain way, even they may judge you. I just wouldn't want a patient to see me and have any question about my professionality or medical abilities just because of something as small as an earring or the fact that I'm not wearing a tie (which I refused to do first year, but am getting into the habit this year).

It isn't selling out or being a conformist. I just try to think of it as my uniform that I wear while playing on the team. If I want to stand out or show my personality, I'll do it in the way I talk to a patient or the way I get through an H&P.

Then again, maybe I just say that because I go to school in the South.

Way Old School,
Simul

I think people are judged by their appearance even if it's unintentional. And, though it may look like you are independent and comfortable, I would think the smart thing to do is stay away from if there's any chance that it's something an interviewer might not like or would be considered inappropriate.

Should I take my prince albert out for my next interview. I mean, what if my interviewer was a urologist. It may be an interesting topic of conversation.

Come on people. Were talking about one of the biggest "good ole boy" professions. Don't wear the earring. Or better yet, just wear a t-shirt with "Go F@ck yourself!" written on it. That will surely show your individualism.

I think it's a stud/piercing at the tip of the penis- but i'm not totally sure

Prince Albert, OUCH!!!

I would never want to decrease my sensitivity.

I have 5 piercings, all diamond studs.

I wouldnt risk wearing them to an interview. If they ask why I didnt wear them I would say I was trying to respect their institution.

Now if any of the male adcoms had any, id feel a bit awkward.

Ha, just a little anecdote. I met some kid at my Emory interview, who had blonde streaks (he's Indian with dark hair) and wearing a tongue stud (and it was huge and obvious, titanium probably lower than a 12 gauge). Since I had removed my piercing for the interview, I had to ask him why he didnt take it out. He had already gotten into two schools already (UMich and some school in Illinois that I forget), and said he left it in during both interviews :eek:

different strokes for different folks I guess. He was one of those hyper intelligent engineering student types, so maybe his track record speaks for itself.

hmm, maybe I should leave it in next time :cool: