GUYS IM DEPRESSED.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harsh920

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore at Binghamton University right now and i transferred here from community college. At community college i started off with a 3.4 with no science courses. Then came second semester of of my freshman year I only took one bio class keep in mind I was sorta undecided at that point. I had a 3.2 when i left community college. My one bio course there did not transfer to binghamton U because my school just didn't take that class which i did get a C+ in. Im a sophomore a binghamton university now and its my first semester here right now. Im still working to get my intro bio and chem courses done because my first year of college i was undecided a little bit. This semester is half way over and i feel like i will end up getting a B- or a C in chem and might be able to get an A- or even an A in bio. Lets say i got a B in bio and got a C- OR a C in chem. How bad would this be for dental school??? I am feeling like it is even possible for me to get a D in chem. Is it the end of the world? Do i have a chance of getting in preferibly NYU because I have heard they do take bigger class size and all but i don't want this thread to be about that. PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME HONEST ADVICE. Any dental school students think i have no chance. What if my gpa was a 3.2 at binghamton?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my honest advice: you can still get into dental school only if you change right now. There are applicants that get into dental school with a 3.2, but you will never be considered as a "competitive applicant". You claim you can get an A- or an A in bio, then study your behind off and get it. Stop worrying about the possibility of getting a D in chem and spend the next month left this semester working through those reactions and nomenclature. To be brutally honest, some people here refer to these general science courses as "filter courses", and if you can't manage to get at least a C in them, then chances are dental school will not be for you. You're a sophomore and you still have 2 years ahead of you, which means 2 more years to get your GPA as high as possible. As daunting as it seems, getting a 4.0 for the rest of your undergrad career isn't impossible goal. I'm not saying you need to be an antisocial bookworm, but you need to learn that a seat at dental school requires you to make big sacrifices. If it's in your bones to be a dentist, you will find a way. Other than that, score high on your DAT (>20aa) and apply broad and smart!

I'm a sophomore at Binghamton University right now and i transferred here from community college. At community college i started off with a 3.4 with no science courses. Then came second semester of of my freshman year I only took one bio class keep in mind I was sorta undecided at that point. I had a 3.2 when i left community college. My one bio course there did not transfer to binghamton U because my school just didn't take that class which i did get a C+ in. Im a sophomore a binghamton university now and its my first semester here right now. Im still working to get my intro bio and chem courses done because my first year of college i was undecided a little bit. This semester is half way over and i feel like i will end up getting a B- or a C in chem and might be able to get an A- or even an A in bio. Lets say i got a B in bio and got a C- OR a C in chem. How bad would this be for dental school??? I am feeling like it is even possible for me to get a D in chem. Is it the end of the world? Do i have a chance of getting in preferibly NYU because I have heard they do take bigger class size and all but i don't want this thread to be about that. PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME HONEST ADVICE. Any dental school students think i have no chance. What if my gpa was a 3.2 at binghamton?
Hey stop bringing yourself down! You know you can make it if you keep moving forward (crawl if you have to). If you haven't gotten there yet, obviously it's not the end. Just keep moving. There are many options to make up for that GPA so don't focus on it too much and believe that you are dental material!

Members don't see this ad :)

Keep in mind: dental school's 1st 2 years will be filled with more advanced versions of these basic science courses....like biochemistry, histology, etc. Figure out how to crack those subjects...that's your key to success. If you can't hack those classes, then your GPA won't survive in dental school.

And develop some self-confidence. Or again, you'll be eaten alive in dental school.

It's not easy to get into dental school, and it's not easy to graduate dental school. IF it was easy, everyone would be doing it. This is what separates the determined and hard-working from the people who have other priorities.

Also, a couple of notes- take it or leave it:
1) Preserve your anonymity- don't share which college you go to.

2) NYU is super expensive. By the time you get there, it could be $550,000 for 4 years. Please play with a loan repayment calculator (instead of blindly relying on IBR/PAYE) and compare the monthly payments with your monthly expected income. Btw, many people seem to forget about the tax bomb at the end of IBR/PAYE. Which is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Account for that in your calculations. If you ignore this and say "Oh it'll be fine dentists make a lot of money and are comfortable," then good luck to you in the future.

3) Research and prep for a back-up career in the case that you are only accepted to expensive private schools and believe that dentistry is not worth $550K.

Last edited:
Hey I was in the same position as you, my sophomore year I had a 3.15 as a cumulative gpa. At the time I didn't know I wanted to be a dentist, but I knew something had to change to give me flexibility when I graduated. I promised myself that I would change my study habits and push myself to be as prepared as the best students in my classes. Ever since then, I had a 3.95 and finished with a 3.6 overall gpa. Use resources you have, try to finish this semester strong. In future semesters, pick classes that you think give you a good shot at getting an A. Check "rate my professor" and (when possible) line yourself up with teachers that have a good reputation on being genuine and interesting people. I swear, just by carefully picking my upper level electives, gen eds, and professors, I added a full 0.2 to my gpa.

Some students absorb everything like a sponge and never forget a thing. The rest of us need to work really hard to get that A in a tough course. Sometime studying twice as much as the smartest kids. I found out that if you work hard enough and study your A$$ off, you can begin to think more critically and become that top type of student. It mind over matter!

What if I take a pass/fail for bio 117 I really am not doing great on it and need a second chance rest of my classes I can pull thru with a B or B- in chemistry and rest are currently gened courses for my degree. Is a pass fail bad if you have one?