So depressed. I don’t think I can make it with my grades.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humblewins

Reaction score
I graduated with a 2.9 cumulative gpa a few years ago. I enrolled in an informal postbacc starting the summer of 2017.

Since then, I’ve taken the following:
Summer session 2017:
O-chem - B+

Fall semester 2017:
O-Chem I lab - B-
Physics I w/ lab - A

Spring semester 2018:
O-Chem II lab - B+
O-Chem II - W
Physics II w/ lab - A

Fall semester 2018:
Microbiology - A-
Biochemistry 1 - C

I had a 3.6 postbacc GPA before the Fall semester. How much will this C bring my gpa down? I can’t check my current grades because there’s a financial hold on my account.

I am honestly so depressed with this C. I’m doing this all alone (paying for my own schooling and housing rent). This was my chance to prove myself to the admissions committee.

Did I blow it? Any advice in moving forward? I can’t enroll for the following spring semester because I can’t afford it. I am going to focus on my DAT instead.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Grades aren't everything. Personal statement, shadowing, your story, letters of rec, DAT, etc. are also important. Do well on your DAT and you'll be okay.
And if it's your dream, don't ever give up! Admissions committee will see your dedication. When there is a will, there is a way. Chin up :)
Here's some inspirational stuff: Refuse To Take No For An Answer: How I Got Into Dental School After 6 Tries | Student Doctor Network

Hey thanks for the reply! In your opinion, what DAT score do you think would offset my abysmal GPA? Would 6 months of studying be enough to score high?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the reply! In your opinion, what DAT score do you think would offset my abysmal GPA? Would 6 months of studying be enough to score high?
A DAT score that would help would be 22+. I don’t think it’d completely offset your GPA though. 6 months of studying may actually be on the long side because you’ll forget whatever you studied 4 months prior. It’s less about how long you study but how effectively you study. People can study for 6 months, 3 months, or one month and all score a 23.

Agreeing with @Zburk! I personally am a VERY slow studier so 5-6 months is ideal for me. If you want to score really high, you want to be able to go through DAT Destroyer a couple times. That takes time! 22+ is really all you need but I would aim high! 23-24 would be great and a 26 would be phenomenal. :clap: I believe a 26 would definitely get you an interview.
And don't worry about that GPA! If you can't fix it, there's no point in worrying about it. You seem to be getting mostly A's, minus that C. It's all about upwards trends! Don't lose hope :) In the mean time, try to get A's and strengthen other parts of your application.

5-6 months is way too long to study for the DAT. You will forget so much information, and the DAT is all about information regurgitation, so 6 months, especially in bio and QR would be detrimental. I wouldn't study more than 4 months max on a dedicated schedule. I studied for about 2 and a half months and got a 23 TS and 23 AA. While everyone does study differently and at different rates, you will begin to forget information and that'll cost you points

While @fb0301 is right, that there are more to your application than just grades, you need to show the admission committee that you can take on the rigorous schedule of dental school, especially since you didn't necessarily do that in undergrad. What was your major in undergrad? Are you working full time while taking these classes post bacc or what is your reason for getting a C in biochem while only taking one other class?

Six months is too long. Study for between two and three months for it. Make studying a full time job. Good luck.

One C won’t define you. Make sure you crush the DAT.

I graduated with a 2.9 cumulative gpa a few years ago. I enrolled in an informal postbacc starting the summer of 2017.

Since then, I’ve taken the following:
Summer session 2017:
O-chem - B+

Fall semester 2017:
O-Chem I lab - B-
Physics I w/ lab - A

Spring semester 2018:
O-Chem II lab - B+
O-Chem II - W
Physics II w/ lab - A

Fall semester 2018:
Microbiology - A-
Biochemistry 1 - C

I had a 3.6 postbacc GPA before the Fall semester. How much will this C bring my gpa down? I can’t check my current grades because there’s a financial hold on my account.

I am honestly so depressed with this C. I’m doing this all alone (paying for my own schooling and housing rent). This was my chance to prove myself to the admissions committee.

Did I blow it? Any advice in moving forward? I can’t enroll for the following spring semester because I can’t afford it. I am going to focus on my DAT instead.

You did not blow anything...

You showed improvement .. .

Biochemistry is not easy. . .

YES focus on DAT !!!

YOU good

don't be depressed .. . So weak . . .

Be strong and march forward, get a Dental assisting gig. . . and BE SURE DENTISTRY IS FOR YOU.

Maybe your lack of confidence could cause you an acceptance during interview? WHO KNOWS !?

DO NOT WORRY TOO MUCH. FOCUS ON WHAT'S NEXT! :) 2-3 month of studying for the DAT should do the trick. At the end of the day scoring better or worse will just affect your chances, and I could give you a number for you to reach but none of us know what the admission committee are thinking. You can probably get by with a 20 on the DAT with 1-2 interviews and anything over that I would not be surprise if you get 3+ interviews. 21 is about the high 80 percentile and scoring over 22 is amazing. Just attending a Post-Bacc and maintaining over a 3.5 GPA already shows how committed you are towards your dream. Have faith and stay positive.

Don’t even sweat it. I had a 3.4 science gpa I got 2 Ds in the same bio 1 class and finally a B- the third time. I also had a C- in gen chem and a C in bio 2. Was able to gain an acceptance with a 18AA. Your application doesn’t just rely on numbers. Keep showing improvement and you’ll get in. Stay confident.

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t even sweat it. I had a 3.4 science gpa I got 2 Ds in the same bio 1 class and finally a B- the third time. I also had a C- in gen chem and a C in bio 2. Was able to gain an acceptance with a 18AA. Your application doesn’t just rely on numbers. Keep showing improvement and you’ll get in. Stay confident.

I believe that. Dental schools strongly rely on gpa. Regardless of being a traditional or non-traditional applicant with a good DAT score. Although, DAT should really prioritize gpa but unfortunately most dental schools don't. As for upward trends, there are only handful of schools that consider that.

I can relate to your story. A little background info: graduated from undergrad years ago with a really low science GPA (not above a 3.0), did some post-bacc work to take any pre-reqs I hadn't already taken and even to retake a few a number of years after graduating and performed poorly (re-took Gen Chem I&II, took and re-took Orgo I, took Orgo II, Microbio, and Biochem. Lowest GPA I've had in my academic career). I took the DAT and had pretty average scores, for what was average at the time, and applied. Didn't get so much as an interview. Enrolled in a Masters of biology program in August 2017 and finished it last month with a GPA below a 3.8 (no need for specifics here). I re-took the DAT in July 2017 and got a 19TS/20AA. I have a LOT of work experience that isn't related to the dental profession but a LOT of volunteer experience that is. I received one pre-December interview this cycle and was placed on the waitlist on Dec. 3rd. I found out yesterday that I had been accepted, so it only takes ONE school to look at your application and give you a chance.

I tell you all of this because you do have an uphill battle ahead of you. It is my belief that a lot of schools have a hard time looking beyond the total GPA, but that isn't always the case. Some schools really do a thorough, holistic review of applications. Study hard. Work hard. Get the grades you need and kill the DAT. Make sure you have good ECs, great LORs, and a standout personal statement. Let schools know that dentistry is 100% what you want to do. Be committed to your own cause and do anything and everything you can to reach your goal. The application process is awful for some people, myself included, but DO NOT let it get you down. Don't compare yourself to the people that post about 4.0 GPAs and 24+ DAT scores. Do what YOU can do to show the best person that YOU are. Someone will take notice.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, grades count, and they count a lot. Although I have read all of the above posts from individuals who claim to have gained admission to d school with sub par grades and DAT scores, those people never seem to roll across my desk when it comes time for post grad education. I have NEVER seen these types of grades from any applicant in over a decade. I am a GPR PD and the undergrad and d school transcripts come as part of the PASS application. 3.2GPA undergrad, with a 3.9 GPA masters I have seen plenty of times. 3.2 undergrad with 3.9 post bacc classes I see occasionally, and not from top schools. During the past 14 years here and 16 years total I have reviewed thousands of apps. The vast majority of senior dental students applying had outstanding undergrad grades. They must count for something.

Sorry, grades count, and they count a lot. Although I have read all of the above posts from individuals who claim to have gained admission to d school with sub par grades and DAT scores, those people never seem to roll across my desk when it comes time for post grad education. I have NEVER seen these types of grades from any applicant in over a decade. I am a GPR PD and the undergrad and d school transcripts come as part of the PASS application. 3.2GPA undergrad, with a 3.9 GPA masters I have seen plenty of times. 3.2 undergrad with 3.9 post bacc classes I see occasionally, and not from top schools. During the past 14 years here and 16 years total I have reviewed thousands of apps. The vast majority of senior dental students applying had outstanding undergrad grades. They must count for something.
What do you think of applicants that had weak undergrad gpa but very strong dental school GPA? Does undergrad GPA still count when applying for a speciality programs?

If your application includes Med School it does. Rarely see low undergrad GPA and very hi( top 10%) dental school GPA. I suppose it can happen. Do the best you can.

Do you ever see mediocre undergrad and post bacc. Like 3.2 undergrad and 3.3 grad?

I believe that. Dental schools strongly rely on gpa. Regardless of being a traditional or non-traditional applicant with a good DAT score. Although, DAT should really prioritize gpa but unfortunately most dental schools don't. As for upward trends, there are only handful of schools that consider that.
Where are you getting the from? Most schools I interviewed at seemed to take DAT scores more seriously than gpa. I got a few acceptances and my GPA is pretty awful, I feel I only got interviews thanks to my high DAT

Where are you getting the from? Most schools I interviewed at seemed to take DAT scores more seriously than gpa. I got a few acceptances and my GPA is pretty awful, I feel I only got interviews thanks to my high DAT

Right... and that is why most schools look at GPA more. You'd have higher chance of acceptance with average GPA and average DAT than subpar GPA and superb DAT for most schools.

Right... and that is why most schools look at GPA more. You'd have higher chance of acceptance with average GPA and average DAT than subpar GPA and superb DAT for most schools.
I see more people getting into school with subpar 3.0 GPAs than I do sub par 19AA DATs.

Also really high DATs (23+) seem to have more sway than high GPAs (3.75+)

Different undergrads have inflation and deflation of GPAs. The DAT is an equalizer.

I see more people getting into school with subpar 3.0 GPAs than I do sub par 19AA DATs.

Also really high DATs (23+) seem to have more sway than high GPAs (3.75+)

Please clarify what you actually "see", as you have not identified yourself nor your credentials to make such a broad statement. Chit chat among fellow students, or using posts on this site as fact based evidence is not really evidence, as no one can verify it, and those reading may be wrongfully swayed to believe your post as true. Admission which does not ascribe to the median is the exception, not the norm. The circumstances of these types of admissions are rarely known outside of the admissions office. Encouragement is not a bad thing, but using exceptional cases as evidence, without the facts, can be misleading.

Reactions: 2 users
Different undergrads have inflation and deflation of GPAs. The DAT is an equalizer.
Undergrad GPA test your work ethic over the course of 4 year. DAT test how well you can study and memorize facts in a couple of months. Also like not all undergrads are the same, not all DAT tests are the same. You can get lucky and get a test that are suited to your strong points. Im way more impressed by a high gpa rather than a high dat. But that just my opinion, and it dont mean crap.

Undergrad GPA test your work ethic over the course of 4 year. .
I take issue with this statement because the difficulty of every university is different. The same work ethic that gets you a 4.0 at Texas Tech won't get you a 4.0 at Rice. The material could be the same and the tests could be the same but the curves definitely wouldn't be based on the students alone.

not all DAT tests are the same. You can get lucky and get a test that are suited to your strong points.
Ignoring luck I don't think many posters here have taken the DAT enough times (especially without changing the way they studied) to compare the tests.

To the OP - do well on your DAT and you can be confident in gaining acceptance into a US dental school.

Im way more impressed by a high gpa rather than a high dat. But that just my opinion, and it dont mean crap.
I agree that this is definitely an opinion because mine is the complete opposite. I see getting a higher DAT as more difficult than a higher GPA because there are lots of ways that some not so smart people can get very high GPAs (easy university, easy major, easy classes buffering difficult classes, 1 class/semester, the list goes on) where with the DAT, everyone takes essentially the same test.

Reactions: 1 users
The DAT, like the SAT, MCAT, LSAT, ACT, etc. are not really there to test your knowledge. They are what is termed "predictive exams" which are designed specifically to predict your probable success in Dschool, college, Medschool, Lawschool, etc. And although the AA is the benchmark, the RC is considered the best predictor. I do not think that any one incarnation of the DAT is markedly more difficult than the other. Most of the questions are repeats that are tweaked to appear different. Each test has the same number of hard and easy questions, as determined by the test construct committees.

To the OP - do well on your DAT and you can be confident in gaining acceptance into a US dental school.

I agree that this is definitely an opinion because mine is the complete opposite. I see getting a higher DAT as more difficult than a higher GPA because there are lots of ways that some not so smart people can get very high GPAs (easy university, easy major, easy classes buffering difficult classes, 1 class/semester, the list goes on) where with the DAT, everyone takes essentially the same test.

Exactly. GPA may vary because of many different factors. With standardized tests like DAT, nothing can be manipulated because everyone is essentially taking the same test with the same difficulty. Ive heard of so many stories where students tried to keep a high gpa by majoring in something very easy from a non-prestigious university. If anything DAT should be prioritized over anything. Especially the PAT section. If there is anything thats going to measure your visual and perceptional understanding, its that. Most doctors I shadowed would ask me about my PAT score first, thats how important it is to them.

Exactly. GPA may vary because of many different factors. With standardized tests like DAT, nothing can be manipulated because everyone is essentially taking the same test with the same difficulty. Ive heard of so many stories where students tried to keep a high gpa by majoring in something very easy from a non-prestigious university. If anything DAT should be prioritized over anything. Especially the PAT section. If there is anything thats going to measure your visual and perceptional understanding, its that. Most doctors I shadowed would ask me about my PAT score first, thats how important it is to them.
RC has statistically been the best predictor of success in D school.

If we were talking about straight up brand-new visual/perceptional testing I'd say sure. But the fact that every "prep" course or material out there (not to mention Youtube videos) aim to show you "shortcuts" or "secrets" on how to tackle the PAT section, I'd say it's not as prevalent as you might think.

Anyone can tackle the PAT section given enough practice and repetition. Like setdoc7 said, RC should be deemed most important because it's all about reading, processing, and retaining "scientific" literature in a short period of time.

Just my 2 cents.

If we were talking about straight up brand-new visual/perceptional testing I'd say sure. But the fact that every "prep" course or material out there (not to mention Youtube videos) aim to show you "shortcuts" or "secrets" on how to tackle the PAT section, I'd say it's not as prevalent as you might think.

Anyone can tackle the PAT section given enough practice and repetition. Like setdoc7 said, RC should be deemed most important because it's all about reading, processing, and retaining "scientific" literature in a short period of time.

Just my 2 cents.

The only shortcuts are hole punching and angle ranking sections. The rest is completely perceptional and how you visualize it. If that was the case, a lot of people would end up getting high PAT score. But that hasn't been the case lately. Is RC important? of course but to a certain extend. If you can comprehend what you are reading then you should be fine. And then there are those people that English is their second language which makes it more challenging for them (including myself). If we are going to be talking about retaining information then you have to include the biology and gen chem portion too. With all those equations to memorize. I do respect your perspective though!