GW or Thomas Jefferson with a half-tuition scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phantasmagoria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some help with this one. What are your opinions? Just so you know I all but had my bags packed for GW until I got this news.

Members don't see this ad.

half tuition scholarship. congrats! save the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this before or after you submitted your FAFSA, etc?

Need some help with this one. What are your opinions? Just so you know I all but had my bags packed for GW until I got this news.

Jefferson, DEFINITELY!!!!

Congratulations!

Was this before or after you submitted your FAFSA, etc?

havent submitted it yet. my parents are taking forever to file. so i might be getting something from gw as well.

i like jeff, but there are some drawbacks (huge class, somewhat ****ty international opportunities). plus i kinda fell in love with dc.

Id go to jeff over gw regardless of the money. but that's just me

havent submitted it yet. my parents are taking forever to file. so i might be getting something from gw as well.

i like jeff, but there are some drawbacks (huge class, somewhat ****ty international opportunities). plus i kinda fell in love with dc.

GW - on probation, most class hours of any medical school in the country, one of the most expensive in the country, etc.

They both have negatives, and positives! Plus, DC gets old really fast... Not that philly is a ton better, but DC gets old...

Go with Jefferson! That is a ton of money...

GW - on probation, most class hours of any medical school in the country, one of the most expensive in the country, etc.

They both have negatives, and positives! Plus, DC gets old really fast... Not that philly is a ton better, but DC gets old...

Go with Jefferson! That is a ton of money...

the probation thing doesnt really bother me. i actually got my acceptance the day before the announcement. Its a silly blemish, really not much more. TJ was on probation wiuthin the past five years as well, so....

that damn money though

Reactions: 1 user
i didnt know much about jefferson untl recently but from what i know i LOVE IT. The Dean was super super nice, the students are so happy, and there committed to service. They have great community service programs going on for the med students too. It just seems like an amazing place. When asked what kind of student wouldnt be happy there, they said a competitive one...and from what i know that seems to be accurate. I would def go to jefferson! congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from DC.

I'd rather live in Philly.

If it were Harvard v. Jeff with money, then you'd have a hard choice.

Take the money. not even close.

This is a no brainer.

Follow the money...

Take the money and run.

Do you have an MDapps? I'd like to see the kind of applicant they give big scholarships to. Congratulations on your success.

I just get the sense that there are good, humble people at Jeff... and I feel like Jeff pumps out caring physicians, people who believe that the cause of a healthy society is bigger than themselves and truly live that.

I also feel like the students have more of a say in the way things are run at Jefferson than at many other schools, presumably including GW.

The things GW has, in my opinion, are the super duper sweet hospital, the international feel to it and health policy opportunities....

But it's the people of Jeff who make Jeff - Jeff. That's all I can say, for the "why."

GW is awesome. DC is awesome.

But...

Take the money and run. Enjoy Philly!

I did some quick math and you will be saving 100K on tuition over 4 years by going to Jefferson over GW. How can you even be considering this? If it was 10K or 20K or even 30K then you might have a discussion, but 100K at 6+% interest is the biggest no brainer ever.

I just get the sense that there are good, humble people at Jeff... and I feel like Jeff pumps out caring physicians, people who believe that the cause of a healthy society is bigger than themselves and truly live that.

I also feel like the students have more of a say in the way things are run at Jefferson than at many other schools, presumably including GW.

The things GW has, in my opinion, are the super duper sweet hospital, the international feel to it and health policy opportunities....

But it's the people of Jeff who make Jeff - Jeff. That's all I can say, for the "why."

thx for the response...are you going to Jeff?

I may, Jeff or BU. My uncle runs a homeless health care program across the street from BU and I have mad family in Boston... but Jeff was REALLY REALLY REALLY nice.

thx for the response...are you going to Jeff?

Its hard to describe in words why Jefferson. Its just a feel-good emotion that comes over a lot of their accepted students. They seem to genuinely care. Its not for everybody, as SDN will show you, but its a legitimate school with a lot of history and success. The financial deal makes it even sweeter.

I'm a student at Jeff, and I would recommend coming here. During the first two years, the faculty members all love to teach, and they actively seek out student input. The clerkships have been great so far. One of the best things about Jefferson is that every test (except for 3 neuro quizzes) is on a Friday. With the block schedule, that means that you have the whole weekend off with nothing to think about, and you never have to study over holiday breaks. Some schools will have weeks with 3 or more tests and no real weekends off. And I agree with everyone above -- all the students are nice people.

I have a friend at GW, and while she likes the school, she complained that the PhD lecturers during her first year didn't provide many clinical correlates or use board-style test questions. Hearsay, but something to think about.

So go to Jefferson, and have half the debt of everyone else.

OP, I would tell GW you prefer them and see if they'll match the offer. You still have several months to decide with no penalty. It's a sweet offer you got from Jefferson, and GW may not match it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. They might at least give you something and then it won't such a huge difference in price.

As a GW student, I like my school very much. But I'm pretty sure I would have gone to Jefferson instead for half the price unless I had a very compelling reason to be in DC.

Congrats on the acceptances, btw! :thumbup:

when I interviewed at GW, my student interviewer spent half of the time telling me how I should "choose wisely" about multiple acceptances, it was a bit strange.

OP, I would tell GW you prefer them and see if they'll match the offer. You still have several months to decide with no penalty. It's a sweet offer you got from Jefferson, and GW may not match it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. They might at least give you something and then it won't such a huge difference in price.

As a GW student, I like my school very much. But I'm pretty sure I would have gone to Jefferson instead for half the price unless I had a very compelling reason to be in DC.

Congrats on the acceptances, btw! :thumbup:

thx for the advice. what do you like/dislike about GW?

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Its hard to describe in words why Jefferson. Its just a feel-good emotion that comes over a lot of their accepted students.