GW vs. Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

George Washington vs. Downstate

• George Washington University

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Downstate Medical Center

Votes: 24 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
George Washington Vs. Downstate (just got in)...

I really want GW but with my current debt I'm looking at 320K vs 180K of total debt.

Any suggestions/recommendations/prayers/DONATIONS would be greatly appreciated. :)

If I go to GW will I get out of debt in time to enjoy life? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well doll if you go it sure was nice getting to know you. :oops: Good luck!

go to GW its better. and dont worry you'll be fine after you graduate.

Everyone always says "the money is not important." Personally, I think thats BS. Downstate and GW are pretty comparable, so the cost differential is definetly NOT worth it. Dude, go to Downstate and save yourself 140K!!!

DOCTORSAIB

for a 140 K difference GW is not worth it.

Holy bananas, 320K of debt?!?! That's insane.

TheFlash said:
Holy bananas, 320K of debt?!?! That's insane.

Yeah, even with the federal portion consolidated to pay over 30 years, that is recockulous (my new word of the day). If you attempted to pay just the principal off, assuming no interest, over 10 years, that would equal a cool $2667 per month. Not worth it by any stretch.

I would still take GW and its a better known school- Downstates only known in NYC.
Also- Brooklyn vs. DC? no contest

LAkid said:
Also- Brooklyn vs. DC? no contest

I'm sorry but if we are talking locales then talk cities.

NYC vs DC? No contest.

GW is better known because its parent university has higher name recognition,not because the medical school is thought to be so wonderful.Downstates matchlist is strong even outside the NY area.I dont see a big advantage to GW but its a personal choice and each has to decide on whats most important to them.

Freddy! You can't leave us at GW!! You love GW and your heart is at this school. I know it is hard financially, but I still think it is worth it! You have to also think where your quality of life is going to be the best and where you will be happiest. I am struggling with the same thing, but the one thing that is worth this much money is education, and I just think the quality of the entire educational experience will be better at GW. Just my opinion though! Let me know what you decide!! Good luck to you!! :luck:

Downstate -- their match list is pretty amazing for a public school and GW isn't worth that extra money. But, personally, happiness factor is the most important thing to me. Not in the best part of Brooklyn, but you can live in Park Slope, next to one of the nicest parks in NYC.

Uh 320k?

Sorry can you explain the numbers since even at 55,000 a year X 4 = 220,000....

60,000 X 4 = 240,000.

Where's that extra 80-100k from?

Fumoffu said:
Uh 320k?

Sorry can you explain the numbers since even at 55,000 a year X 4 = 220,000....

60,000 X 4 = 240,000.

Where's that extra 80-100k from?

The OP already has debt racked up from undergrad:

I really want GW but with my current debt I'm looking at 320K vs 180K of total debt.

To all those that are voting for GW: are you even reading the OP's inquiry and debt dilemma?

Downstate make a LOT more sense from an economic perspective....