GW vs Drexel reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tova

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which has a better reputation for academics, GW or Drexel?

Members don't see this ad.

Tova,

I live in DC. You can pm me if you want some info about the school and area.

GW is much better. I wouldn't think twice about picking it over Drexel

Members don't see this ad :)
GW is much better. I wouldnt think twice about picking it over Drexel.

I have a friend going to GW and she doesn't really like it because the atmosphere is ultra-competitive and there isn't a strong sense of community. Moreover, we have people in our class that were in GWs post-bacc program and decided on not attending GW for similar reasons. I'd take all that with a grain of salt of course.... But I can speak from personal experience regarding Drexel since I'm a 2nd year IFM student. I'd be willing to stack our pre-clinical program up against pretty much any other med school out there, simply based on the quality of education. We may not have brand-name recognition, but we do have a curriculum that will prepare you super well for your boards. We have fantastic lecturers, we have incredible module notes that are completely typed up, we have a student run-transcription service that records our lectures word for word, all our lectures are recorded and can be accessed via the net, our entire campus is wireless, most of our professors are just there to teach = fantastic teaching, easily accessible! If you come here and work hard, you'll do well on your boards. All of our classes are taught and tested in step 1 format (ALL tests are multi-choice, most are vignette style). Perhaps most importantly, the profs set out requirements for achieving certain grades at the beginning of the course which means you're only competing against yourself! For example honors is usually >90-92%, high pass >88-90, pass >70%. We don't compete, there's a strong sense of community, we help each other out, distribute our personal notes to the ENTIRE class. That pretty much covers it for the pre-clinical aspect. I can't say much about the clinical experiences because i'm not a 3rd year student yet. But as far a pre-clinical training is concerned, you can be assured you'll receive the best education possible. If you want to know more, I made a post not too long ago entitled "all about drexel" in the pre-allo form that you can check out which has more info about the area and such. Oh yeah, hate to leave the post on a bad note but it is a private school (about 33K/year, which is about average for a private school but still a sh*tload of dollas). Good luck, enjoy the application process!

I'm a second year at GW- and I would tend to disagree with what the above poster said about GW. My classmates are not that competitive, and there is a very strong sense of community in my class. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my school. One thing in particular that stands out when comparing GW to Drexel is the clinical experience that we have in the first 2 years... it really helps reinforce what we decided to dedicate our lives towards. Feel free to PM me with any questions