GWU anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandimd

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
I was just curious, does anyone know much about the GW program? I know it's not ranked in the "US News top 25" list, but as far as the program, is it any good?
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

hi mandi,

I got an interview from GWU today; I don't know much about the program, but know a GI fellow at Lahey who trained there (both for med school and for his IM residency). He told me that it is a relatively humane, solid program with a strong primary care track. Residents rotate through GW Hospital, a large university hospital in downtown DC, and Holy Cross Hospital, a smaller hospital in Suburban Maryland. I think they also may rotate through a VA Hospital in Northern VA, but not sure. I grew up and went to undergrad in the DC area and DC is known for fun areas like Georgetown, and of course the Mall and all of the museums. Unfortunately, it is usually quite expensive to live in DC, and you might have to live out in the suburbs (many of the nicer suburban areas such as Potomac, Bethesda, and Chevy Chase are also ridiculously expensive, unfortunately) and commute via public transportation every day. I don't know if I will end up going to the GWU interview, as I am still waiting to hear from more New England programs, particularly BIDMC (long shot), BU, Lahey Clinic, and have to decide which of the programs outside of New England that have offered me interviews so far that I want to go to. Hopefully it will all become more clear once my application is complete. Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions about DC.

mandimd said:
Hello-
I was just curious, does anyone know much about the GW program? I know it's not ranked in the "US News top 25" list, but as far as the program, is it any good?
thanx

It's a good program, probably the best Internal Medicine program in DC. It has a separate Primary Care Internal Medicine residency that is very competitive. Starting next year, the hospitals they rotate at will change to the GW Hospital, Fairfax Hospital (instead of Holy Cross), and the VA.

Members don't see this ad :)
how does GW compare with the other IM programs in the NorthEast?

ntmed said:
I'm a 4th-year medical student at GW. It's a good program, probably the best Internal Medicine program in DC. It has a separate Primary Care Internal Medicine residency that is very competitive. Starting next year, the hospitals they rotate at will change to the GW Hospital, Fairfax Hospital (instead of Holy Cross), and the VA.

bof said:
how does GW compare with the other IM programs in the NorthEast?

hmm, there are a lot of programs in the Northeast, but from what I hear GWU is quite well-respected.. In comparison to the PA/MD/DE programs; I'm told that with the exception of the ridiculously competitive programs like Penn and JHU, Jefferson and Maryland have the best reputations, followed by Pitt, GWU, and Georgetown, then Temple, Drexel, Christiana Care, Albert Einstein, and PSU-Hershey. There are also some decent community programs in Philly/DC/Baltimore as well. However, reputation often becomes a moot point as factors like location preference and gut feelings about programs tend to take precedence for many applicants (like myself). I read some more about the primary care track at GWU and it looks excellent; I'll definitely keep it in mind! thanks also to Mike from GW for the updated info.

interesting...and where would the new england programs fall in your list (Tufts for example :) )?

irlandesa said:
hmm, there are a lot of programs in the Northeast, but from what I hear GWU is quite well-respected.. In comparison to the PA/MD/DE programs; I'm told that with the exception of the ridiculously competitive programs like Penn and JHU, Jefferson and Maryland have the best reputations, followed by Pitt, GWU, and Georgetown, then Temple, Drexel, Christiana Care, Albert Einstein, and PSU-Hershey. There are also some decent community programs in Philly/DC/Baltimore as well. However, reputation often becomes a moot point as factors like location preference and gut feelings about programs tend to take precedence for many applicants (like myself). I read some more about the primary care track at GWU and it looks excellent; I'll definitely keep it in mind! thanks also to Mike from GW for the updated info.