GWU or NYMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cl24000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were in at both schools, where would you go? And why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say you should go with GWU, its in a more lively area than NYMC.

GWU, doesn't have the same stigma that NYMC has on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's wrong w/ ny med?

mbadoc said:
GWU, doesn't have the same stigma that NYMC has on SDN.

Who cares what kind of stigma NYMC has on SDN? If you're basing your decision based on what SDNers say about the school, you're wrong. I visited NYMC and was absolutely blown away with what I saw. I expected something so much different, only because I heard so much crap about NYMC here on SDN. The only downside to NYMC is that it's expensive, ONLY because of the area that the school is located. But it would be nice to live that close to NYC and not have to deal with the actual city every day (in my opinion).

Anyways, I guess my point is: Don't knock it until you've actually checked out the school. Don't base your assumptions on SDNs posts.

Not trying to be a hypocrite here, I can't really answer the question because I've never checked out GWU. I will say though, that the students seemed really happy at NYMC. I could definitely go there!

Good luck!

cl24000 said:
If you were in at both schools, where would you go? And why?

GW, no doubt. Better location. And personally, I wouldn't want to go to a catholic med school. But maybe not an issue for you.

It depends?

what are your priorities:

NYMC: high board scores and nice anatomy lab; small school; suburb of ny; but close to NYC

GWU: it's in DC; very good transportation system; city is cosmopolitan; GWU has a new hospital

I don't know more than that. It depends on what type of person you are and what the curriculum is like. I would pic NYMC for learning orGWU because of ease of transportation and surroundings.

I was accepted to both, and I know a few other kids who were too and all of them, as well as myself are happy with our decision to attend nymc.

I interviewed at both GWU and NYMC. Personally, I'd go with GWU.

I like the feel of the GWU environment. I also like how GWU has an undergrad instituation associated with it, along with a top 20 law school AND a ranked NCAA basketball team =D. I think I'm a bit biased against NY in general, but I'm sure you will get a fine education at either institution.

I wouldn't hold location against NYMC too much, you are only in the 'burbs during the first two years - and I don't think people really get out much during those years anyways! Most of the 3rd and 4th year students live in the city. (For those who decide they don't want to live in the city there is Westchester Medical Center - a huge teaching facility).

I wasn't thrilled about attending NYMC, but had to make some choices for personal reasons. After 5 months of being at NYMC I am so glad I made the choice I did.

all good input, thanks
i hope to get into my state school so I don't have to make this hard choice

hey guys. i wanted to revisit this issue.

i may be in the same position as cl2400 in the near future - currently accepted to nymc and i've just been notified that i am at the top of gw's alternate list (and they will def be accepting alternates this year, i'm told).

i know a lot about both schools and i've met a lot of students at both as well (i was a student in georgetown's smp program, so that'll explain it). i was wondering what people thought of the student bodies and the social scenes.

from what i gather, nymc students seem to be very social and like to party. it almost seemed kind of like a college social scene, drinking in dorms, etc. on the other hand, students at gw seemed a little more adult (note: i'm not saying nymc students are immature). i guess that has a lot to do with the fact that they are more spread out around d.c. & nova while nymc students are mostly grouped together in the dorms. (note: i know nymc students disperse to nyc after 2nd year, but i'm focusing on 1st/2nd year here).

anyway, that's my take on things. anyone else care to chime in? it'd be great to hear from current students. thanks. :thumbup:

medstylee said:

i may be in the same position as cl2400 in the near future - currently accepted to nymc and i've just been notified that i am at the top of gw's alternate list (and they will def be accepting alternates this year, i'm told).

i know a lot about both schools and i've met a lot of students at both as well (i was a student in georgetown's smp program, so that'll explain it). i was wondering what people thought of the student bodies and the social scenes.

from what i gather, nymc students seem to be very social and like to party. it almost seemed kind of like a college social scene, drinking in dorms, etc. on the other hand, students at gw seemed a little more adult (note: i'm not saying nymc students are immature). i guess that has a lot to do with the fact that they are more spread out around d.c. & nova while nymc students are mostly grouped together in the dorms. (note: i know nymc students disperse to nyc after 2nd year, but i'm focusing on 1st/2nd year here).

anyway, that's my take on things. anyone else care to chime in? it'd be great to hear from current students. thanks. :thumbup:

I felt similiar to you about NYMC. I thought the student body was all very young and there seemed to be very few non traditionals. Also 90 % of students lived in the dorm so living off campus may leave certain people feeling left out. My interview did tell me that drinking was a problem on campus there, whatever that means but it was sort of refuted later by my student host. I don't care anyway. I could see how a older applicant (26+) would not like NYMC and would like GWU better. I thought NYMC's facilities were the some of the best I have seen and the campus was very nice. But if your looking to spend the first two years in an urban environment than GWU would be the way to go while NYMC is probably "safer" and more secluded. GWU has to have better research than NYMC though, that was one thing I thought that may be lacking from NYMC. NMYC still hasnt posted their matchlist yet which is pretty ridicuclous as every other school has and most have stats on their matchlist by now even. I do think GWU is more $$ then NYMC even, so thats not a plus for GWU. I liked how solid NMYC's board scores were as they were way above the national average. Probably how they compensate in getting good residency when they dont have many research opportunities for students. I am guessing if you want to do research for the first summer you may have to find something outside the school. Perhaps NYMC helps but I dont know. The new childrens hospital right next to the school was very very nice. I do have questions about NYMC's rotations. I know they have a lot of options but I have read a few people say they thought they may be weak and students not given enough responsibility. Any NYMCers wanna chime in on that? Overall both good schools and good luck in choosing.

Disclaimer: I am currently waitlisted by NYMC. Most likely due to the fact they think I would contribute to their alcohol problem. :thumbdown:

medstylee said:

Chime in on what? Got any specific q's? I didn't apply to GW, but I'm an MIII @NYMC

Pros:
Great board prep + excellent prep for clinical years. It's all about your board scores when you apply to residencies
Excellent match list. Our new one should be posted soon. PM me if you have specific q's
Great, sociable bunch of students (with few exceptions, of course)
Hospital associations that give you plenty of opportunities no matter what you like
Good teaching faculty with some truly phenomenal instructors
On-campus housing

Cons:
$$$$$$$
I don't care much for our academic support administration. You can get what you need out of them, but you'll hate to WORK HARD AT IT
Bigger research push wouldn't hurt

I won't dignify the "stigma" comments with a response

idq1i said:
Chime in on what? Got any specific q's? I didn't apply to GW, but I'm an MIII @NYMC

Pros:
Great board prep + excellent prep for clinical years. It's all about your board scores when you apply to residencies
Excellent match list. Our new one should be posted soon. PM me if you have specific q's
Hospital associations that give you plenty of opportunities no matter what you like
On-campus housing

Cons:
$$$$$$$
I don't care much for our academic support administration. You can get what you need out of them, but you'll hate to WORK HARD AT IT

How do you feel about your rotations? Are you learning what you need to, do you like having to go to many different hospitals, do you have adequate patient responsibility? Are you learning from good mentors? Any complaints about them?>

BOBODR said:
How do you feel about your rotations?

Are you learning what you need to,

do you like having to go to many different hospitals,

do you have adequate patient responsibility?

Are you learning from good mentors?

Any complaints about them?>

I liked most of my rotations, with some reservations. Most of these revolved around working with certain residents. As you probably know, resident teams change, and you may very well have a different experience even though you may rotate at the same site with the same attendings

With shelf scores 1-2sd above national mean, I think so

You don't have to if you don't want to. I spent most of my time at one.

Very resident-dependent. Most give you as much responsibility as you want; few will try to micromanage your every step

Most of my attendings have been great. Several surgery, IM, FP and OB attendings have been phenomenal.

Sure, there are some complaints. Nothing major, and nothing that I would be willing to post on an open board that many people frequent.

GW, hands down. Valhalla sucks balls.

idq1i said:

Pros:
On-campus housing

Cons:
$$$$$$$

hey, thanks for the input, idq. i'm curious about how you felt about the workload at nymc. talking to my friends who currently attend, it seems like you guys are absolutely bombarded with exams. obviously that has a lot to do with the school's great success on the boards. but, it just seems like my nymc friends are way more stressed about med school than my friends who attend other schools.

also, what's the deal with the social fraternity that was just formed by students? i was in a fraternity in college and had a great time, but i'm older now and not really looking for that in medical school. maybe i'm just being an old fart, but i'm curious as to how that fits into the social scene at nymc.

where i'm at right now, i feel like i might very well get better board preparation and better scores at nymc. but, i have a feeling i'll fit in a lot better as a student at gw. it also seems that gw has a lot more opportunities for students outside of just the core med curriculum. anyway, i'm getting ahead of myself since i haven't even gotten into gw. ha. let's keep this discussion rolling. thanks again for the input. :thumbup:

medstylee said:
hey, thanks for the input, idq. i'm curious about how you felt about the workload at nymc. talking to my friends who currently attend, it seems like you guys are absolutely bombarded with exams. obviously that has a lot to do with the school's great success on the boards. but, it just seems like my nymc friends are way more stressed about med school than my friends who attend other schools.

also, what's the deal with the social fraternity that was just formed by students? i was in a fraternity in college and had a great time, but i'm older now and not really looking for that in medical school. maybe i'm just being an old fart, but i'm curious as to how that fits into the social scene at nymc.

where i'm at right now, i feel like i might very well get better board preparation and better scores at nymc. but, i have a feeling i'll fit in a lot better as a student at gw. it also seems that gw has a lot more opportunities for students outside of just the core med curriculum. anyway, i'm getting ahead of myself since i haven't even gotten into gw. ha. let's keep this discussion rolling. thanks again for the input. :thumbup:

NYMC does require us to work pretty hard. Here is the 1st year schedule so you can judge for yourself: http://dcdb.nymc.edu/hsdb45/schedule/Medical/2009. However, in my 1st two years I never found myself to be so stressed that I couldn't have a life outside of school

As far as the social scene... You can be as involved, or as detached and "mature" as you want to be. I have actually been living in NYC since since 1st year - the commute is only ~30 minutes. As far as the fraternity, I know nothing of it. The only "fraternity" that I'm aware of is the one I joined (AOA ;) )

In the end, I think you should pick the school which made you feel most comfortable during the interview. If you got a better vibe from GW, go for it! After all, as long as you attend a US allopathic school, no residency doors will be closed to you as long as you demonstrate that you are a capable student.