GWU vs Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinMints

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm down to the wire, but after Visit Emory it's been an uphill battle!

GWU - Health Comm and Marketing

Emory - BSHE

I'm interested in both, but have my sights set on a PhD eventually to further specify in a field. I live near enough to DC now that I can start looking for jobs; but I'd still have to move closer and spend $$$$$$ on rent . (And I have the fam and significant other here).

All loans either way (although practical experience award for Emory). For some reason I feel GW has more GA/RA opportunities (with tuition benefits) but that may be wrong. Haven't seen much about GW on the forum! Has anyone decided to go there? Any insight to the programs? Could I get enough experience at Emory in health comm to make a career out of it? DC vs Atlanta?

I swear after this painful decision the housing and moving and packing is going to feel like a piece of cake.

Members don't see this ad.

Before you assume one school as more opportunities over another I would try and actually check that out.

As for health comm- one of my friends at Emory did her summer internship at ASPH as a communications intern(super competitive internship). And is now interviewing for prestigious health comm fellowships as well as jobs. As you know, it's how you use your time in school that is going to get you the job(s) that you want.

In terms of a PhD, what kind of PhD would you be interested in? Communications? PH? I think health comm is a very specific category to get an MPH in and I would be worried about selling myself short.

DC is a great (although expensive place to live) and will offer you good internship opportunities if you go out and seek them. The same goes for Atlanta (not nearly as expensive).

I wish you luck!