GWU vs Rush vs MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astronautmonkey

Reaction score
I’m deciding between these three schools. I am planning on going into a competitive specialty, thinking orthopedics right now. My mind changes every day. I don’t exactly know the differences in reputation between each of the schools.
Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

George Washington
Pros
+ Absolutely love D.C. – it would be a dream to live there.
+ Loved the facilities
+ Love the curriculum
+ Bigger name than the rest? Not super sure on this one.
Cons
- Expensive ~380K
- Didn’t love the interview day
- Students didn’t seem super happy (although they did have an upcoming test)

Rush Medical College
Pros
+ Reasonable COA ~315K
+ I really liked Chicago (not as much as DC, but still loved it)
+ Students were very happy and seemed to get along well with each other.
+ T10 orthopedic residency program
+ Great rotation sites
+ Great volunteer opportunities
+ Relatively smaller class size
Cons
- It seems like people have an issue with their new curriculum
- Considered a lower tier than the other two?
- Library/student lounge areas were not impressive
- Research opportunities may be limited

Medical College of Wisconsin
Pros
+ COA is the lowest ~285K
+ Great rotation sites
+ Liked the curriculum
+ Great tutoring facilities
+ Great Research opportunities
+ Students seemed very happy and had a good life balance
Cons
- Did not like Milwaukee
- They structure tests so they all fall in the same week

Members don't see this ad.

If your gunning for ortho, consider Rush, otherwise I would caution about going there based on their new curriculum (it’s flipped and people were saying pretty negative things about it last year on here). The cost difference between MCW and GW would make me choose MCW in a heartbeat. While GW might have better name recognition among the general population, MCW usually ranks about the same if not better on residency director ratings. I think it’s fair to say their reputation is about the same with maybe a slight edge for MCW. If location is a huge factor for you, maybe GW is a better fit, but as far as education and research opportunities go, both are excellent. I would consider going with the cheaper option unless you know that the colder weather will affect you greatly.

Reactions: 1 users
If your gunning for ortho, consider Rush, otherwise I would caution about going there based on their new curriculum (it’s flipped and people were saying pretty negative things about it last year on here). The cost difference between MCW and GW would make me choose MCW in a heartbeat. While GW might have better name recognition among the general population, MCW usually ranks about the same if not better on residency director ratings. I think it’s fair to say their reputation is about the same with maybe a slight edge for MCW. If location is a huge factor for you, maybe GW is a better fit, but as far as education and research opportunities go, both are excellent. I would consider going with the cheaper option unless you know that the colder weather will affect you greatly.

Is the negativity toward Rush's curriculum because it is flipped classroom, or is it specifically how they do flipped classroom?

Is the negativity toward Rush's curriculum because it is flipped classroom, or is it specifically how they do flipped classroom?

I would use the search function to find more info, but from what I remember it was a combination of the flipped classroom and the growing pains that come with the curriculum change. I would try to go for a more traditional curriculum if you can help it, unless you have previous experience with flipped classroom and know that it works for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to have the most pros for MCW but if you do want to do orthopaedics, as others have said, Rush is a powerhouse for that. Their curriculum is a bit wonky but I heard students generally like it (and will have complaints at any medical school). I'd personally nix GWU and make the pick btwn Rush or MCW. Consider the limited research at Rush though, as you'll need a lot of it to be competitive & match ortho.

Reactions: 3 users
That GWU cost will go up to about $600,000 by the end of a 5 year residency: not worth it. That's almost an impossible hole to shovel out of, even as an orthopod. These 3 schools are all in a similar mid-tier range IMO, so I would choose between Rush and MCW. I know MCW has a ton of research opportunities and strong clinical experiences. Rush does have the stronger Ortho program. Interestingly though, for at least the last 3 years MCW has had more Ortho matches than Rush med students, and at stronger programs.

Reactions: 1 users
That GWU cost will go up to about $600,000 by the end of a 5 year residency: not worth it. That's almost an impossible hole to shovel out of, even as an orthopod. These 3 schools are all in a similar mid-tier range IMO, so I would choose between Rush and MCW. I know MCW has a ton of research opportunities and strong clinical experiences. Rush does have the stronger Ortho program. Interestingly though, for at least the last 3 years MCW has had more Ortho matches than Rush med students, and at stronger programs.

Couldn't the difference in number of Ortho matches be due to their difference in class sizes? Rush's is usually around 140, while MCW's is around 240.

Couldn't the difference in number of Ortho matches be due to their difference in class sizes? Rush's is usually around 140, while MCW's is around 240.

MCWs really is 200 for Milwaukee. I think the satellite campuses are 3 years and require you to go into primary care. The number could make a difference yes, but really you just have to consider the opportunities available to you. MCW has much more research funding than rush, which is crucial for matching in ortho. Also, sometimes having a great ortho residency program can help, but that’s not always the case. I think both would give you the opportunity to match ortho in the end, but MCW will give you more options, especially if you decide against ortho when you are trying to match in four years.

Reactions: 1 user
MCWs really is 200 for Milwaukee. I think the satellite campuses are 3 years and require you to go into primary care. The number could make a difference yes, but really you just have to consider the opportunities available to you. MCW has much more research funding than rush, which is crucial for matching in ortho. Also, sometimes having a great ortho residency program can help, but that’s not always the case. I think both would give you the opportunity to match ortho in the end, but MCW will give you more options, especially if you decide against ortho when you are trying to match in four years.
Thank you for the help I appreciate it.