Program-Specific Info / Q's Gwynedd Mercy U .... Accreditation Status; Program Schedule.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PepperOT

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been accepted to new Gwynedd Mercy University's MOT program (yay!). The program is currently in the process of accreditation and had their on-site visit week of Feb. 24th, which was the last step to for the accreditation process. At the moment, they are waiting for the ACOTE decision which is scheduled to be April 2020. My program would start in May. I am patiently waiting to hear the decision, but would also like to give my full-time job notice of when my last day is. Do you think I should just wait to hear the results from ACOTE just in case GMU is not accredited? Or should I not worry that GMU won't get accredited and let my bosses know the date?

Additionally, is anyone currently in the first 2 MOT cohorts at Gwynedd Mercy? What is the weekly/daily schedule like? How do you like the program? I emailed the program director, but I'm not sure if he's checking his emails because of the school closing due to the Covid-19 cases in the area.

Any info appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend you wait to give notice. The May start date is soon, and may be pushed back due to coronavirus closings.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all. I've been accepted to new Gwynedd Mercy University's MOT program (yay!). The program is currently in the process of accreditation and had their on-site visit week of Feb. 24th, which was the last step to for the accreditation process. At the moment, they are waiting for the ACOTE decision which is scheduled to be April 2020. My program would start in May. I am patiently waiting to hear the decision, but would also like to give my full-time job notice of when my last day is. Do you think I should just wait to hear the results from ACOTE just in case GMU is not accredited? Or should I not worry that GMU won't get accredited and let my bosses know the date?

Additionally, is anyone currently in the first 2 MOT cohorts at Gwynedd Mercy? What is the weekly/daily schedule like? How do you like the program? I emailed the program director, but I'm not sure if he's checking his emails because of the school closing due to the Covid-19 cases in the area.

Any info appreciated, thank you!
Hello,
I hope this isn't reaching you too late. I'm actually part of the second cohort and we were told by ACOTE that our program had no issues of non-compliance. The site visitors told us that they were impressed with the program and that we were pretty much going to be accredited--so please don't let that be the factor that stops you from attending. Due to the current situation, however, I'm not sure we will receive the decision as quickly as we had hoped.

Regarding the schedule, I wouldn't count on having the same one year to year. The cohort before us had completely different schedules than we did. The first semester (Summer I), we had classes 4 times a week with Wednesday off. Classes started either around 1 pm or 9 am, depending on the day. We never have night classes and the later classes might end around 4pm. For the second semester (Fall I), we had class 3 times a week with Thursday and Friday off. Those three days were packed with lectures and labs from around 9 am to 3 pm. Currently, we have class 4 times a week with Tuesday reserved for our Fieldwork I placement. Once again, class times range from 9 am to 3pm.

Overall, I like being in the program. The professors are always willing to help and they are very knowledgeable about their specific areas in the field. There are times when it can get frustrating because of hiccups here and there, but I'm sure not every school is perfect and our professors are also still learning how to run the program efficiently.

I hope this helps!

Hello,
I hope this isn't reaching you too late. I'm actually part of the second cohort and we were told by ACOTE that our program had no issues of non-compliance. The site visitors told us that they were impressed with the program and that we were pretty much going to be accredited--so please don't let that be the factor that stops you from attending. Due to the current situation, however, I'm not sure we will receive the decision as quickly as we had hoped.

Regarding the schedule, I wouldn't count on having the same one year to year. The cohort before us had completely different schedules than we did. The first semester (Summer I), we had classes 4 times a week with Wednesday off. Classes started either around 1 pm or 9 am, depending on the day. We never have night classes and the later classes might end around 4pm. For the second semester (Fall I), we had class 3 times a week with Thursday and Friday off. Those three days were packed with lectures and labs from around 9 am to 3 pm. Currently, we have class 4 times a week with Tuesday reserved for our Fieldwork I placement. Once again, class times range from 9 am to 3pm.

Overall, I like being in the program. The professors are always willing to help and they are very knowledgeable about their specific areas in the field. There are times when it can get frustrating because of hiccups here and there, but I'm sure not every school is perfect and our professors are also still learning how to run the program efficiently.

I hope this helps!
Thank you for this information! It's a relief to hear that ACOTE was impressed with the program. And I like how we have some days off during the week. I hope everything is going well with your cohort in light of what's going on right now. I'm hoping that the start date for me doesn't shift too much. Regardless, I'm excited to start- whenever that may be!