gyn onc question- do they also function as PCPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makethemostofit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that medical oncologists often serve as the PCPs for their cancer pts. Is this also true for gyn oncs? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a urogyn so take it for what it’s worth. It depends on what you think as a pcp. I occasionally will order colonoscopies, mammos, etc on patients who come see me if they are due and those who see me annually for surveillance of mesh or recurrence of prolapse/UI. I do not manage HTN, HLD or innumerable other conditions that pcp take care of because I lack insight/up to date knowledge. Gyn oncs are likely the same. Heme/Onc might be able to do it more because they are IM and though in this country (USA) Obgyn is considered a primary care specialty we get no where near enough training to manage anything other than chronic iron deficiency anemia and unless they are super super competent and only do primary care I would generally not want any general or sub specialty Obgyn doing the things that an IM or FP trained PCP nor do I Think there many who would want to.