Gyn-onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happygolucky1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you applying to Gyn-Onc this cycle, have you heard back from any programs? thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to piggyback on your thread, I am not going for this cycle but the next cycle. However, the question I have which you or anyone else may be able to answer is...

How is the job market after fellowship? I know in NYC its very very hard to get a job as a gyn onc. There are also no private gyn onc groups either, maybe except for one.

Is the pay that much significant? At my hospital, there is only 1 gyn onc. He gets paid substantial, probably underpaid, however, his pay is less than what I was offered being a regular obgyn in a small town.

Please comment anyone!

Sorry to piggyback on your thread, I am not going for this cycle but the next cycle. However, the question I have which you or anyone else may be able to answer is...

How is the job market after fellowship? I know in NYC its very very hard to get a job as a gyn onc. There are also no private gyn onc groups either, maybe except for one.

Is the pay that much significant? At my hospital, there is only 1 gyn onc. He gets paid substantial, probably underpaid, however, his pay is less than what I was offered being a regular obgyn in a small town.

Please comment anyone!

From the fellows I have talked to, they have had no problems getting jobs. New York is a different beast regarding the job market for any medical specialties.

For the ones going to private practice, they were getting intial offers of ~$375,000-400,000. This was in Houston. The academic guys are earning less anywhere though.

From the MGMA salary survey, Gyn Onc earns on average much more than a generalist. I know it's not the end all of salary lists but it gives you a good idea what the different pay grades are among specialties. It is floating around here on one of the boards.