Gyn ONLY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GYN DOC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the average salary of a gynecologist that doesn't practice OB? Is it feasible to practice gyn only? I'm interested in just doing primary care and gyn surgeries. It'll be a great mix of outpatient and inpatient medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

226 views and no replies

Does anyone know the average salary of a gynecologist that doesn't practice OB? Is it feasible to practice gyn only? I'm interested in just doing primary care and gyn surgeries. It'll be a great mix of outpatient and inpatient medicine.
I remember this being discussed in this forum.Yes it is possible to have this type of practice but you dont see it much with OBGYNs just starting out .In order to get a busy practice going in most places you need to do OB as well.Over time once established its possible to phase out the OB and stick to GYN.
Some who do fellowships in oncology etc can try to do just GYN surgery but they wont be doing primary care much as it wont pay the bills.

Members don't see this ad :)
The zero replies is probably because those who post here don't have an answer for you about salary. I certainly don't. I did a quick search and found a few threads about doing only gyn, but no salary remarks. In my experience, the ones doing only gyn were the older docs who were about 10 years out from retiring. You could do a family planning fellowship or something similar to restrict out some of the ob... but I don't really know what it takes (or makes) to do straight gyn out of school.
Good luck.

You could do a 1 year laproscopic fellowship or a urogyn fellowship to do only GYN. There are a few faculty members that I know that do general GYN only - more of a hospitalist position (all consults, etc.) along with a few half days of clinic - colpo, etc. They are about 10-15 years out of residency and did obstetrics initially and then decided to do GYN only. I feel like the laproscopic fellowship would definitely help you do GYN only much earlier...sorry I don't know much about salaries...

Last year, one of our chiefs went straight into a GYN only practice. She took over for a single practitioner who was retiring. In exchange, she practices in a TINY town in VA about an hour out from the city. On the up side, this is exactly the type of practice she wanted, and it fulfills her service committment (the National health one that I can't think of post call). She seems to love it.

So... I think it can be done straight out of residency, but will probably require some sacrifices and a lot of confidence in your skills.

As far as salary, obviously I have no idea what she makes, but I can tell she is living comfortably and is quite happy with the arrangement...

Good luck.

I also think your best bet would be to take over a retiree's practice. Recent grads I know who are generalist ob/gyns seem to end up saddled with the bulk of ob in group practices, because the more senior docs want the more relaxed lifestyle of gyn only. One friend of mine did not realize this was going to happen, and ended up leaving the practice after only a few years because she was tired as hell and working all the time.

I feel like the laproscopic fellowship would definitely help you do GYN only much earlier...

At the very least it would make the OB more interesting once you develop a way to delivery the babies laporoscopically....you might have to do it hand assist....