H-Bonding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andyjl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following participate in hydrogen bonding?
a. methanol
b. methane
c. sodium hydroxide
d. all of the above
e. none of the above.

Now from eliminating answer choices I know that the answer is a. methanol. But however, does sodium hydroxide not participate in hydrogen bonding? Because the OH- can hydrogen bond can it not?

Members don't see this ad.

Sodium hydorxide is held toghether with an ionic bond, not a covalent bond so it will dissociate in water.

H-bond only form in

F-H
O-H
N-H

if you see any of those bondings then its an H-Bond meaning higher boiling temperature and more likely you will see the substance as a liquid....

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what the OP is asking is if the hydroxide ions in solution can H-bond to themselves similar to how water molecules H-bond with themselves. Why couldn't they? They have the O-H bond and lone pairs available on the O. Does anyone know? I've never seen ions/hydroxide discussed when talking about H-bonds. Obviously from the answers to the question it appears they can't, but I'm curious why....

im thinking because the overall charge on the OH isnt neutral...it is a negative hence OH- and therefore in an aq. solution they will repel each other

thanks, my original thought was indeed that since sodium hydroxide is an ionic compound that it wouldn't be involved in H-bonding. Those explanations cleared it up:thumbup: