Jul 3, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
When calculating △Hrnx how do we know if we have to do products - reactants, or if we need to do △H bonds broken - △H bonds formed (which would be reactants - products essentially). I am very confused on this and maybe my thinking is completely off. Can anyone clear this up?


7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2011
Status (Visible)

If you are given stuff relating to bond energies, use bonds broken - bonds formed (which is Reactants - Products).

If you are doing normal enthalpy stuff not relating to bonds, then do products - reactants.

Sorry if this is not the most scientific answer but that's just how I remember it. I'm pretty sure the instance I mentioned above is the only time you ever do Reactants-Products.
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads