△H rxn

Started by EMT313
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EMT313

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When calculating △Hrnx how do we know if we have to do products - reactants, or if we need to do △H bonds broken - △H bonds formed (which would be reactants - products essentially). I am very confused on this and maybe my thinking is completely off. Can anyone clear this up?
 
@EMT313

If you are given stuff relating to bond energies, use bonds broken - bonds formed (which is Reactants - Products).

If you are doing normal enthalpy stuff not relating to bonds, then do products - reactants.

Sorry if this is not the most scientific answer but that's just how I remember it. I'm pretty sure the instance I mentioned above is the only time you ever do Reactants-Products.