H.S. student...short story...couple q.s

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

musiclover23

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey every one, im new 2 this site.before i get into the q. i have to give u a little background on me so the story and q. will make more sense, i promise😀😱
im 16, a junior in H.S
i Love to play music...its my life...i started playing the trumpet in 5th grade i enjoy playing it i am always first chair whenever i was in school(now), i would pratice sometimes to get better then my fellow peers and just for the joy... one night in 8th grade while my family and i were watching memories of a geisha i heard this instrument tha was frequently being played throughout the movie, i realized that is was a cello...o how it loved the sound tht it produced the way it made me feel, the way i could make other ppl feel. i asked my parents for 1...i had 2 wait one very long year util i got one for xmas.i was soo happy..i asked my schools music teacher if he cld teach me the basics abt playing and holding the bow..shortly afterhe gave me a book which started on lvl 2 (he cldnt find lvl 1) i praticed my heart out and gave him the bok stating tht i had finished it...he looked at me like i said something wrong. long story short i praticed and taught myself how to play and 1 year later i was in the top orchestra class at a performing arts school wher ppl have ben playing since 5th grade as well as having weekly private instruction(me none lol)
and now i will be performing with an orchestra next fall and i will be a soloist all with in a span of 3 years ,self teachings, motivation, and extreem passion and for people to challenge u.
i tell u this story not to brag.. but because i have considered becoming a heart surgeon(its a long ways frm now i know) i want to help people and if i have these motives stated above(except self teaching ) it will let u surpass every 1 in your field .but what i wld like 2 know is this
What are the steps involved in becoming a heart surgon(from H.S to College to becoming a surgeon)
do i need mcat scores to go into a pre med school?
tyvm every 1 for the rplys in adv.
 
first of all learn how to type and include vowels in your words. secondly no you do not need to take the MCAT to go to college. to become a doctor you need to go to undergraduate... college and get bachelors degree. to do this you need to take the SAT at the end of your junior year beginning of senior then apply to college. once you get to college get amazing grades, drink, have fun, and worry about the MCAT later. Until then just relax have fun and enjoy the rest of high school and college.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey every one, im new 2 this site.before i get into the q. i have to give u a little background on me so the story and q. will make more sense, i promise😀😱
im 16, a junior in H.S
i Love to play music...its my life...i started playing the trumpet in 5th grade i enjoy playing it i am always first chair whenever i was in school(now), i would pratice sometimes to get better then my fellow peers and just for the joy... one night in 8th grade while my family and i were watching memories of a geisha i heard this instrument tha was frequently being played throughout the movie, i realized that is was a cello...o how it loved the sound tht it produced the way it made me feel, the way i could make other ppl feel. i asked my parents for 1...i had 2 wait one very long year util i got one for xmas.i was soo happy..i asked my schools music teacher if he cld teach me the basics abt playing and holding the bow..shortly afterhe gave me a book which started on lvl 2 (he cldnt find lvl 1) i praticed my heart out and gave him the bok stating tht i had finished it...he looked at me like i said something wrong. long story short i praticed and taught myself how to play and 1 year later i was in the top orchestra class at a performing arts school wher ppl have ben playing since 5th grade as well as having weekly private instruction(me none lol)
and now i will be performing with an orchestra next fall and i will be a soloist all with in a span of 3 years ,self teachings, motivation, and extreem passion and for people to challenge u.
i tell u this story not to brag.. but because i have considered becoming a heart surgeon(its a long ways frm now i know) i want to help people and if i have these motives stated above(except self teaching ) it will let u surpass every 1 in your field .but what i wld like 2 know is this
What are the steps involved in becoming a heart surgon(from H.S to College to becoming a surgeon)
do i need mcat scores to go into a pre med school?
tyvm every 1 for the rplys in adv.

obvious troll is obvious
 
No. MCAT is for medical school.
"Pre-med" is a major, which is a collection of medical-related classes (organic chem, physics, biology, etc.) taught at undergraduate schools. To get there, you need to take the SATs, maintain a good GPA, etc.
During college, you take the MCAT to apply to med. school. You're about 4-5 years away from it.
 
That's just how teenagers among that age group type on the internet. They will learn to type correctly one day, give them time to mature.
 
That's just how teenagers among that age group type on the internet. They will learn to type correctly one day, give them time to mature.

Yes, that is how they type. My cousins type like this and it drives me crazy, I am glad I never did that.
 
We are premeds, meaning we are God's gift to mankind. If you wish to address us, you must first learn how to write.
 
Hey every one, im new 2 this site.before i get into the q. i have to give u a little background on me so the story and q. will make more sense, i promise😀😱
im 16, a junior in H.S
i Love to play music...its my life...i started playing the trumpet in 5th grade i enjoy playing it i am always first chair whenever i was in school(now), i would pratice sometimes to get better then my fellow peers and just for the joy... one night in 8th grade while my family and i were watching memories of a geisha i heard this instrument tha was frequently being played throughout the movie, i realized that is was a cello...o how it loved the sound tht it produced the way it made me feel, the way i could make other ppl feel. i asked my parents for 1...i had 2 wait one very long year util i got one for xmas.i was soo happy..i asked my schools music teacher if he cld teach me the basics abt playing and holding the bow..shortly afterhe gave me a book which started on lvl 2 (he cldnt find lvl 1) i praticed my heart out and gave him the bok stating tht i had finished it...he looked at me like i said something wrong. long story short i praticed and taught myself how to play and 1 year later i was in the top orchestra class at a performing arts school wher ppl have ben playing since 5th grade as well as having weekly private instruction(me none lol)
and now i will be performing with an orchestra next fall and i will be a soloist all with in a span of 3 years ,self teachings, motivation, and extreem passion and for people to challenge u.
i tell u this story not to brag.. but because i have considered becoming a heart surgeon(its a long ways frm now i know) i want to help people and if i have these motives stated above(except self teaching ) it will let u surpass every 1 in your field .but what i wld like 2 know is this
What are the steps involved in becoming a heart surgon(from H.S to College to becoming a surgeon)
do i need mcat scores to go into a pre med school?
tyvm every 1 for the rplys in adv.


Probably a troll. " it will let u surpass every 1 in your field" hahaha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We are premeds, meaning we are God's gift to mankind. If you wish to address us, you must first learn how to write.

Wow. How conceited can you be? "The Lord opposses the proud.........". You're too full of yourself.

Oh and by the way, by your logic, people that are in the following professions:

-teaching
-engineering
-architecture
-fashing design
-agriculture

and various other professions are of no use to society right? Right? Some of you people really amaze me. Are you really a superior human because you're going through many years of school or attendting some prestigeuos elite school? 👎thumbdown👎thumbdown👎thumbdown👎
 
Yes, that is how they type. My cousins type like this and it drives me crazy, I am glad I never did that.

Yes. How they type on the internet and through other forms of communications with their friends on their FREE-TIME and not when they are in SCHOOL. See there's a major difference. I personally don't type that way but I oppose people criticizing my peers and todays youth for doing so. It's culture bro. Deal with it. 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
 
Yes. How they type on the internet and through other forms of communications with their friends on their FREE-TIME and not when they are in SCHOOL. See there's a major difference. I personally don't type that way but I oppose people criticizing my peers and todays youth for doing so. It's culture bro. Deal with it. 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Well, the OP's not addressing their friends and peers who are willing to wade through poor sentence construction and spelling to communicate with him. This is a forum with an academic focus, bro. There's a reason that proper English is taught in school... it's so that it can be used outside of school.
 
Wow. How conceited can you be? "The Lord opposses the proud.........". You're too full of yourself.

Oh and by the way, by your logic, people that are in the following professions:

-teaching
-engineering
-architecture
-fashing design
-agriculture

and various other professions are of no use to society right? Right? Some of you people really amaze me. Are you really a superior human because you're going through many years of school or attendting some prestigeuos elite school? 👎thumbdown👎thumbdown👎thumbdown👎

He was using sarcasm.
 
I'm surprised that MD/Phd students would type that way in any form of written communication😱

It's because he's not an MD/PhD, he's in high school. He wouldn't have called the OP his peer if he was in medical school.
 
hey every 1 and thx for all of the replys, i am suprised at some of your comments telling me that i need to type correctly. this is the way tht i type when im on the internet....of couse i dont write anything like this when im at school or actually anywhere. the way we type (for the majority of us) is how we communicate, we shorten words phrases so that we can type faster, recieve e mail to and frm faster, typing long messages as well as many messages makes this a faster process and is also a way not to burn out your fingers lol., and just because we can. i can easily switch bk btwn txt lng and formal language... i thought tht this was a forum for h.s...idk if this is true for i am new.

and 1 user stated that i was probobly a troll. i guess he means when i was talking about me and my playing experience...hmm how can i put this... i said tht because i have strong dedication to whatever i commit myself to it...completly....saying tht i was trying to say tht i wld like to be in a profession tht wld be at service to the public knowing tht i wld fully commit and engross myself in the profession.

o and y is there so much hatered amoung the repliers lol i was just asking a q. no need to (as stated before) critique the was i type....smh... im guesing u dont know wt tht means..
 
I'm 17 and can barely read what the OP wrote, that is just one big slur of mangled English. I don't think all teenagers write like that, at least I don't, then again I am probably the only person in my group of friends who spells out every word when texting. I just can't stand reading or writing crap like the OP posted.
 
I'm 17 and can barely read what the OP wrote. I just can't stand reading or writing crap like the OP posted.

Hey everyone I'm new to this site. Before I get into the questions, I have to give you a little background on me so the story and questions will make more sense, I promise😀😱

I'm 16, a junior in high school. I love to play music...it's my life...I started playing the trumpet in 5th grade. I enjoy playing it, I am always first chair whenever I was in school(now). I would practice sometimes to get better than my fellow peers and just for the joy.

One night in 8th grade, while my family and I were watching Memoirs of a Geisha, I heard this instrument that was frequently being played throughout the movie. I realized that is was a cello. Oh how I loved the sound that it produced, the way it could make me feel, the way I could make other people feel.

I asked my parents for one. I had to wait one very long year until I got one for christmas. I was so happy, I asked my school's music teacher if he could teach me the basics about playing and holding the bow. Shortly after, he gave me a book which started on level 2(he couldn't find level 1). I practiced my heart out and gave him the book, stating that I had finished it - he looked at me like I said something wrong.

Long story short, I practiced and taught myself how to play. One year later I was in the top orchestra class at a performing arts school where people have been playing since 5th grade as well as having weekly private instruction(me none, lol). Now I will be performing with an orchestra next fall and I will be a soloist all within the span of 3 years by self teachings, motivation, and extreme passion and for people to challenge you.

I tell you this story not to brag, but because I have considered becoming a heart surgeon(it's a long ways from now, I know). I want to help people, and if I have these motives stated above(except self teaching) it will let you surpass everyone in your field. What I would like to know is this:

What are the steps involved in becoming a heart surgeon(from high school, to college, to becoming a surgeon)?

Do I need MCAT scores to go to a pre-med school?

Thank you very much everyone for the replies in advance.
 
hey every 1 and thx for all of the replys, i am suprised at some of your comments telling me that i need to type correctly. this is the way tht i type when im on the internet....of couse i dont write anything like this when im at school or actually anywhere. the way we type (for the majority of us) is how we communicate, we shorten words phrases so that we can type faster, recieve e mail to and frm faster, typing long messages as well as many messages makes this a faster process and is also a way not to burn out your fingers lol., and just because we can. i can easily switch bk btwn txt lng and formal language... i thought tht this was a forum for h.s...idk if this is true for i am new.

and 1 user stated that i was probobly a troll. i guess he means when i was talking about me and my playing experience...hmm how can i put this... i said tht because i have strong dedication to whatever i commit myself to it...completly....saying tht i was trying to say tht i wld like to be in a profession tht wld be at service to the public knowing tht i wld fully commit and engross myself in the profession.

o and y is there so much hatered amoung the repliers lol i was just asking a q. no need to (as stated before) critique the was i type....smh... im guesing u dont know wt tht means..

Hey everyone and thanks for the replies. I am surprised at some of your comments telling me that I need to type correctly. This is the way that I type when I am on the internet, of course I don't write anything like this when I'm at school or actually anywhere. The way we type(for the majority if us) is how we communicate. We shorten words and phrases so that we can type faster, and recieve e-mails to and from faster. Typing long messages as well as many messages makes this a faster process and is also a way not to burn out your fingers lol, and just because we can. I can easily switch back between texting and formal language. I thought this was a forum for high school, I don't know if this is true for I am new.

One user stated that I was porbably a troll :troll:. I guess he means when I was talking about me and my playing experience. Hmmm, how can I put this? I said that because I have a strong dedication to whatever I commit myself to, completely. I was trying to say that I would like to be in a profession that would be at service to the public knowing that I would fully commit and engross myself in the profession.

Why is there so much hatred among the repliers? Lol. I was just asking a question(no you weren't), no need to(as stated before) critique the way I type. Smh(scratching my head), I'm guessing you don't know what that means.
 
Hey everyone I'm new to this site. Before I get into the questions, I have to give you a little background on me so the story and questions will make more sense, I promise😀😱

I'm 16, a junior in high school. I love to play music...it's my life...I started playing the trumpet in 5th grade. I enjoy playing it, I am always first chair whenever I was in school(now). I would practice sometimes to get better than my fellow peers and just for the joy.

One night in 8th grade, while my family and I were watching Memoirs of a Geisha, I heard this instrument that was frequently being played throughout the movie. I realized that is was a cello. Oh how I loved the sound that it produced, the way it could make me feel, the way I could make other people feel.

I asked my parents for one. I had to wait one very long year until I got one for christmas. I was so happy, I asked my school's music teacher if he could teach me the basics about playing and holding the bow. Shortly after, he gave me a book which started on level 2(he couldn't find level 1). I practiced my heart out and gave him the book, stating that I had finished it - he looked at me like I said something wrong.

Long story short, I practiced and taught myself how to play. One year later I was in the top orchestra class at a performing arts school where people have been playing since 5th grade as well as having weekly private instruction(me none, lol). Now I will be performing with an orchestra next fall and I will be a soloist all within the span of 3 years by self teachings, motivation, and extreme passion and for people to challenge you.

I tell you this story not to brag, but because I have considered becoming a heart surgeon(it's a long ways from now, I know). I want to help people, and if I have these motives stated above(except self teaching) it will let you surpass everyone in your field. What I would like to know is this:

What are the steps involved in becoming a heart surgeon(from high school, to college, to becoming a surgeon)?

Do I need MCAT scores to go to a pre-med school?

Thank you very much everyone for the replies in advance.

Hey everyone and thanks for the replies. I am surprised at some of your comments telling me that I need to type correctly. This is the way that I type when I am on the internet, of course I don't write anything like this when I'm at school or actually anywhere. The way we type(for the majority if us) is how we communicate. We shorten words and phrases so that we can type faster, and recieve e-mails to and from faster. Typing long messages as well as many messages makes this a faster process and is also a way not to burn out your fingers lol, and just because we can. I can easily switch back between texting and formal language. I thought this was a forum for high school, I don't know if this is true for I am new.

One user stated that I was porbably a troll :troll:. I guess he means when I was talking about me and my playing experience. Hmmm, how can I put this? I said that because I have a strong dedication to whatever I commit myself to, completely. I was trying to say that I would like to be in a profession that would be at service to the public knowing that I would fully commit and engross myself in the profession.

Why is there so much hatred among the repliers? Lol. I was just asking a question(no you weren't), no need to(as stated before) critique the way I type. Smh(scratching my head), I'm guessing you don't know what that means.

...you have way too much time on your hands.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What a conventional response. Are you still in a bad mood?
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the wonderful translation Mopp22, it makes my eyes feel so much better.

I guess that since I can actually read it, I no longer have an excuse not to answer a few questions.

The first step is to learn the name, a "heart surgeon" is called a cardiac surgeon. After you graduate from high school you simply need to go to college. There is no such thing as a pre-medical school. You can go to any college you want and work towards getting a bachelors degree in any field that you desire. MCAT is not needed to get into college, only the SATs. Once in college, you need to maintain a good GPA and get in some extra curricular activities such as playing a sport, being active in clubs, shadowing doctors, volunteering, and possibly doing some research.

Typically during the spring of your junior year of college you can take the MCAT and then apply to medical schools over the summer between your junior and senior year. Then during your senior year of college you will attend medical school interviews if invited and then pray that you get accepted somewhere.


By the way (yes I will write out BTW), the reason that so many people are mocking the way that you type is that you type like a stereotypical teenager. Also, the bulk of the members here are either in college, medical school, or are residents or attendings. So typing as though you have never taken English class gives you the appearance of being either uneducated, lazy, or immature.
 
Btw, no one has mentioned this yet, but if the OP wrote his reasons to go into medicine in an essay it wouldn't make any logical sense. To summarize his post, it's "I've been playing the trumpet since I was little, and that's why I want to be a cardiac surgeon because they both help people."

So? Lots of jobs help people. Why not law, engineering, teaching, or the one that would make the most sense in this context, music? Why medicine? Why cardiac surgery?
 
Last edited:
Wow. How conceited can you be? "The Lord opposses the proud.........". You're too full of yourself.

Oh and by the way, by your logic, people that are in the following professions:

-teaching
-engineering
-architecture
-fashing design
-agriculture

and various other professions are of no use to society right? Right? Some of you people really amaze me. Are you really a superior human because you're going through many years of school or attendting some prestigeuos elite school? 👎thumbdown👎thumbdown👎thumbdown👎


Dude. Promise me you will never become a psychiatrist? Your inability to grasp sarcasm amazes and shocks me. I would suggest you spend less time preaching to people online about what "the Lord" likes and dislikes, and more time developing your social skills. Otherwise, you will have a rather rough interview season 😱😱😱

While we are on the topic however, please enlighten me as to how doctors and fashion designers have equal value to society?
 
Btw, no one has mentioned this yet, but if the OP wrote his reasons to go into medicine in an essay it wouldn't make any logical sense. To summarize his post, it's "I've been playing the trumpet since I was little, and that's why I want to be a cardiac surgeon because they both help people."

So? Lots of jobs help people. Why not law, engineering, teaching, or the one that would make the most sense in this context, music? Why medicine? Why cardiac surgery?

You're right to some degree and I have thought about that too after reading his post....why doesn't he just go into music? Why medicine musiclover23? Why the heart? Why surgery?

But the other characteristics he apparently has are motivation, extreme passion, and challenge from others. You can't say those aren't needed from a possible future cardiac surgeon. Give him time to grow and mature as a future doctor and med school applicant - he is only in high school and he may change his career plans.
 
Last edited:
You're right to some degree and I have thought about that too after reading his post....why doesn't he just go into music? Why medicine musiclover23? Why the heart? Why surgery?

But the other characteristics he apparently has are motivation, extreme passion, and challenge from others. You can't say those aren't needed from a possible future cardiac surgeon. Give him time to grow and mature as a future doctor and med school applicant - he is only in high school and he may change his career plans.

You're giving him way too much credit. Any career path will need motivation, extreme passion, and challenge from others. And I'd imagine he probably hasn't researched much about medicine if he's coming on here and posting about what kind of schooling he needs to become a cardiac surgeon and if he needs to take the MCAT to get into a "pre med school".
 
You're giving him way too much credit. Any career path will need motivation, extreme passion, and challenge from others. And I'd imagine he probably hasn't researched much about medicine if he's coming on here and posting about what kind of schooling he needs to become a cardiac surgeon and if he needs to take the MCAT to get into a "pre med school".

I understand what you and everyone else is saying exactly, I've seen it many times before. But he is attempting to get more information about the topic, he's trying(no matter how pathetic he may seem to some on here) which is more than what others in his age group are probably doing. People will say he's immature, because he is, he's in high school. Hopefully he won't stay that way so let's just try and give him some useful advice and info so that he can make a better descision about his future. Constructive criticism, instead of attaacks and insults, to help him move forward in the right direction. We should expect questions like this on hSDN.
 
You're giving him way too much credit. Any career path will need motivation, extreme passion, and challenge from others. And I'd imagine he probably hasn't researched much about medicine if he's coming on here and posting about what kind of schooling he needs to become a cardiac surgeon and if he needs to take the MCAT to get into a "pre med school".

👍 He demonstrates to me a lack of motivation and passion, he isn't even willing to put in the time to find out very basic details of medical training.

he also says playing the trumpet will: " let u surpass every 1 in your field." WTF?
 
I understand what you and everyone else is saying exactly, I've seen it many times before. But he is attempting to get more information about the topic, he's trying(no matter how pathetic he may seem to some on here) which is more than what others in his age group are probably doing. People will say he's immature, because he is, he's in high school. Hopefully he won't stay that way so let's just try and give him some useful advice and info so that he can make a better descision about his future. Constructive criticism, instead of attaacks and insults, to help him move forward in the right direction. We should expect questions like this on hSDN.

Being in high school is no excuse for being immature. The people who use young age as an excuse on SDN are those who are far removed from high school so they think everything they did back then was stupid, but for someone like me who was there just a year ago I'm less dismissive of this. We are giving constructive criticism, because instead of just calling him a troll/noob we're pointing out that he needs to communicate intelligently.

I've posted on forums in high school and I didn't come across as incapable of spelling or writing out a complete thought. In general, I followed the rules to being taken seriously, and that is addressing people like they are intelligent, doing my due research before asking a question, making sure I know something about the subject before commenting, and if I didn't know anything about the topic I kept my mouth shut and listened.
 
It would be best if we could discuss the issues raised rather than the individual SDN members and their maturity. It is best to post using standard English rather than internet style, as this makes it easier for a wide range of people to read the post and readily respond. However, this point has been made adequately and lets move back to discussing how to get into med school. The purpose for this forum is for h.s. students to post questions that the older veterans of pre-allo may already have had answered. The types of questions raised by the original poster are those many h.s. students have and are welcome to post here.
 
Being in high school is no excuse for being immature. The people who use young age as an excuse on SDN are those who are far removed from high school so they think everything they did back then was stupid, but for someone like me who was there just a year ago I'm less dismissive of this. We are giving constructive criticism, because instead of just calling him a troll/noob we're pointing out that he needs to communicate intelligently.

I've posted on forums in high school and I didn't come across as incapable of spelling or writing out a complete thought. In general, I followed the rules to being taken seriously, and that is addressing people like they are intelligent, doing my due research before asking a question, making sure I know something about the subject before commenting, and if I didn't know anything about the topic I kept my mouth shut and listened.

You don't understand what I am trying to say. That's ok, I'm done with this thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad