Premed UCLA vs UofT (International Student)

ama3zin

Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is my first post on this forum and I believe I can find solid answers considering the backgrounds of everyone present here.

As you can deduce from the thread title, I am an international student who is currently baffled between my 2 choices, which are UCLA and UofT for a premed track. I have received a 100k CAD scholarship from UofT (no separate application was required); however, my financial situation is adequate for me to afford UCLA nonetheless. My ultimate goal is to gain a surgical residency within the US, which basically means I must accordingly attend a US med school after my undergrad.

After going through many reddit forums and consulting advisors, I have received tons of mixed reviews between UCLA and UofT that have solely complicated my dilemma further. I'm genuinely hoping that you guys could help me with my decision by giving any insight/guidance.

Appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Congrats on your acceptances!!!

I went to university at a Canadian institution (UWO), and although not UofT, I am familiar with their premed programs. UofT is regarded as a rather difficult school and their premed track has a similar reputation. I’m not sure if you’ve been able to decide on a school, but I would definitely choose UCLA over UofT.

If you do choose to go to UofT, you would definitely be able to be accepted into a US medical school. Advantages to going to UofT would be the access you’ll have to research opportunities, but this is also a con since there are so many premed students in Ontario that apply for the limited research positions available. Another pro is the GPA conversion Ontario schools have when applying to medical schools through AMCAS. At UofT, a 4.0 is an 85%+, so if you maintain your GPA around there, you’ll be a competitive applicant grade wise. Despite this, personally, I would still chose UCLA.

(keep in mind that I am not familiar with UCLA’s premed program!)

Appreciate your response!

In the end, I did end up picking UCLA over UofT for that reason. UCLA is a bit higher on the financial side of things but its manageable, plus they have a lot of medical centers on campus.

Reactions: 1 user