h1/j1 issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey
when i set off on the interview trail i checkmarked j1 and hi visa's in my profile cause i thought they'd both be ok ...i'm a little picky now and will take only h1's ...can i change it in my profile ...or does that look bad ?does anybody know whther st luke-roosevelt sponsors hi's for everybody or has it been known to give j1's as well?
does their we liked u letter mean much ? or do they send out a lot ?

Members don't see this ad.

Programs have different regulations regarding visa they sponsor I think with some degree of flexibility. If the program sponsors only J (through the ECFMG) he will sponsor you J whatever you wrote before. Few programs sponsor H1B only, supposed you are eligible e.g passed step3. The rest, and I think those are the majority, it is the negotiation with the program if you match with. If the program during the interview did not mention it to you frankly, I think either J or H is not big deal with them or they will not rank you in their list so, they did not mention it. If the H is your priority rank programs which sponsor H first and those sponsor J at the end of your list. Good luck

hey,
Thanx for the info ...I have taken step 3 and passed it and I do know the program is intersted but they didn't clarify the visa issue ..so i was just wondering about programs that sponsor both ..h1 and j1 ..how do they decide which to give who ?

hey,
Thanx for the info ...I have taken step 3 and passed it and I do know the program is intersted but they didn't clarify the visa issue ..so i was just wondering about programs that sponsor both ..h1 and j1 ..how do they decide which to give who ?

That is good. Let them know you are interested in H1B and insist. The residency contract will be for one year, do not include it in your package just include offer letter from the program with three years (maximium initial time for H1), then latter you can extend it. If you match apply to get your medical license as early as possible, because without which you can not apply for H1 unlike the J . Good luck