H1B Visa Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that there was a bill introduced to the House of Representatives yesterday that proposes changing the minimum salary for H1B visa holders to $130,000. Could this affect pharmacists who hold H1B visas?

Members don't see this ad.

I read that there was a bill introduced to the House of Representatives yesterday that proposes changing the minimum salary for H1B visa holders to $130,000. Could this affect pharmacists who hold H1B visas?

Link? This would literally affect almost all the PHDs... actually this would affect almost all the H1B visa holders...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would anyone vote to pass this bill anyways? Won't happen

Yes, pharmacy chains are still employing H1B visa pharmacists but this is not widespread. New H1B visa may indicate an old pharmacist changing companies.

I moved from a degree in CS to pharmacy and H1-B is still killing a lot of my friends. The "best and brightest" from a lottery system is a joke. I hope Trump makes Wipro and Infosys pay 200k for every employee they bring in.

Reactions: 1 user
Good bye entry level jobs, good bye international students who want to get a degree in US. You won't have any employers. Goodbye great tech companies. Get a degree and gtfo. This will close a lot of doors for student with immigrant intent. Country is going 2 steps forwards, 10 step backwards lmao.

I moved from a degree in CS to pharmacy and H1-B is still killing a lot of my friends. The "best and brightest" from a lottery system is a joke. I hope Trump makes Wipro and Infosys pay 200k for every employee they bring in.

Lol, so your friends deserve a spot at a school or a company more than an international student/worker?

Lol, so your friends deserve a spot at a school or a company more than an international student/worker?
If that "student/worker" is replacing an American citizens job with a skill set that they already have then that H1b is not needed. Until the lottery system is done away with then nobody knows who is qualified for the job. What I do know is companies have flat out said that they already have employees that can do a job but are hiring H1b's at a lower cost.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judy-frankel/insourcing-american-lose-_b_11173074.html
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...rs-beyond-furious-over-h-1b-replacements.html

My personal favorite is a law firm in Pittsburgh that is so blatantly twisting the H1b laws that they openly hold seminars and teach employers how to evade immigration laws.

I'm seen the system abused (Infosys definitely, IBM as well), but I've also seen some great results (Microsoft, Epic, Medtronic). I think if there is a reform of the H1B, it should be that the company directly employ the H1B as an employee and not as an at-will contractor like Infosys and Tata, and pay should be in line with American workers to avoid the cost shifting.

Pharmacy doesn't really have that many H1Bs as the TN is more likely from our NAFTA neighbors (there's quite a number of Canadian pharmacists who moved to the good guys in MN, and in AZ, there are quite a number of Mexican trained pharmacists that are very reliable retail and hospital pharmacists on the TN). Academic pharmacists are almost always put on the O1 track if they aren't already TN (especially biotechnology, pharmacognosy, and dosage form pharmaceutics), so it isn't a problem for government or academia if they are good.

And yes @Sparda29, I do think that autarky encourages better educational infrastructure, and importing should be viewed as secondary. Sure, the Americans can continue to brain drain the world, at the cost that we neglect to fix the consequences of having a mediocre educational system for regular people. From my parent's POV (but not mine), it's a shame that Asians become Americans here and that their grandchildren regress to the mean.

Reactions: 1 user
Imposing a minimum can definitely affect H1B holders in areas where 130k/year is well above the market rate. Only CA, Colorado River, Rio Grande towns regularly compensate above 130k in retail, at least for starting salary.

http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=cvs&job=Pharmacist&city=&year=All+Years

Look at Detroit for an incomplete picture. I imagine most pharmacists don't want to work in Detroit proper