Had my reality check..now I need guidance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DuckDynasty01

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's where I'm at going into my senior year at florida state:

Exercise science major

To graduate: intro to biochem, physics A/B, metabolism 1/2, exercise testing and prescription, and a few electives.

2.6 overall GPA as of now

Pre req grades:

bio 1/L: C/C
bio2/L: B+/C
CHM 1/L: C/B+
CHM2/L: C/B
Survey Orgo: B-/C+
A&P 1: B/B
A&P2:B/B
micro bio: B+

I plan on graduating Summer 2014 and this academic year I will also begin working on observation hours at various locations.

Say I graduate with a 3.1-3.3 overall, should I still consider taking a year "off" and buffing up my stats before applying to PT schools? (I know my pre-req stats a a sad sight 🙁 )

What should I prioritize retaking if you recommend retakes?

How heavily is the GRE valued?

Which of the florida programs is easiest to get into?

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you
 
Last edited:
might as well get it all out there:

failed chem 1 the first time
Got a D in stats..retook and got a C
got a D in pre calc..retook and got an A-
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know much about Florida schools, but you'll need to get your cumulative GPA over 3.0 to even be considered for most programs (keep in mind that a 3.0 doesn't make you very competitive). I would retake any prerequisites that you have a "C" in (if you can replace them with A's, you'll be is much better shape). You'll probably have to take the year off because I don't know of many schools that will look at your application with a prerequisite GPA under 3.0. I would focus on raising your prerequisite GPA and maybe gaining some extra observance hours.
 
Say I graduate with a 3.1-3.3 overall, should I still consider taking a year "off" and buffing up my stats before applying to PT schools? (I know my pre-req stats a a sad sight 🙁 )

First off, make sure you calculate your Pre-req GPA. You can have a cumulative GPA at around 3.1-3.3 but if you pre-req GPA is under a 3.0, you will still need to retake your pre-req courses strictly. This usually includes A&P, Chem, Physics, Stats, sometimes Math...it all depends on your schools of choice. Look and see what the pre-req courses are for each school and calculate a GPA based on just those classes. If its under a 3.0, focus on retaking those first. It'll kill two birds with one stone and raise both GPAs.

Secondly, if you manage to get yourself up to a 3.1-3.3 for both GPAs, your going to want to make sure you NAIL the GRE. Even if it takes you a few times... Your going to want to make sure you have (not good) but GREAT Rec Letters specifically from professors. Your going to need to make sure you get a VARIETY of hours from various different PT settings - Inpatient, Outpatient, Nursing Homes...then within those do Orthopedic, Acute, Neuro, Pediatric, Geriatric...etc...Variety comes first. Then work on getting the quantity of hours.

With a low GPA, your going to want to make it up by dominating in everything else if you want to have a fair chance at getting in somewhere. This isn't to scare you but motivate you! You can do it! 🙂
 
First off, make sure you calculate your Pre-req GPA. You can have a cumulative GPA at around 3.1-3.3 but if you pre-req GPA is under a 3.0, you will still need to retake your pre-req courses strictly. This usually includes A&P, Chem, Physics, Stats, sometimes Math...it all depends on your schools of choice. Look and see what the pre-req courses are for each school and calculate a GPA based on just those classes. If its under a 3.0, focus on retaking those first. It'll kill two birds with one stone and raise both GPAs.

Secondly, if you manage to get yourself up to a 3.1-3.3 for both GPAs, your going to want to make sure you NAIL the GRE. Even if it takes you a few times... Your going to want to make sure you have (not good) but GREAT Rec Letters specifically from professors. Your going to need to make sure you get a VARIETY of hours from various different PT settings - Inpatient, Outpatient, Nursing Homes...then within those do Orthopedic, Acute, Neuro, Pediatric, Geriatric...etc...Variety comes first. Then work on getting the quantity of hours.

With a low GPA, your going to want to make it up by dominating in everything else if you want to have a fair chance at getting in somewhere. This isn't to scare you but motivate you! You can do it! 🙂

Thanks so much for your through response! If I'm going to take a year retaking pre-reqs/getting varied hours, I would really like to also be working. What do could I do to help land at PT Aide job? I NEED to make sure that another "wasted" year cements me a seat somewhere and I can't see how that job wouldn't be considered a résumé booster.
 
Hello,

I too had a reality check, I have retaken a fair amount of classes, leaving me with a 2.94 overall GPA with re-takes. My Pre-Req. GPA is a 3.27 or a 3.3 (I forget which one I calculated) -- With re-takes. I am going to sign up for another retake in the Fall, as I will then have a 3.45 with an A in that course. However, I am afraid that it may be a waste of time since my application will already be submitted by then. ( I tried taking it in the summer, but nothing fit my work schedule) - I have also been working as a Rehab aide for over a year now. (Outpatient) - We have Neuro, Womens, Speech, OT, Ortho and Neuro OT therapists where I work. I also shadowed in-patient at a hospital (Acute care, Behavioral Psych floor, In-Patient) for ~120 hours. My rec letters from the therapists should be no less than excellent I would hope. I have been working my ass off for ~10/hour, only taking about 4 days off (business not pleasure days), while taking those classes (5 hours a day 3 days a week in the summer) in order to strengthen my application. I made some good friends with the PT's and think that they really do enjoy me there and I have tried to learn as much as possible. If nothing else, working as an aide will make your first clinicals much easier, as you are familiar with how everything works. My GRE is also 152V 149Q 3.0 AW (Panic attack on the first essay, I didn't finish it). I hope I am not wasting my time and money re-applying with these stats, as I have saved almost $0 living on my own with this salary (student loans what not). Also, my freshmen forgiveness GPA is much higher 🙂

I hope that they can see past my GPA's and give me an interview, where I know I can prove myself worthy of school. I honestly went into college with horrible habits in highschool, I did not appreciate what classes met and the impact these low scores would have on my future. Once I learned these lessons myself, I started making good marks.


Went on a slight rant here, but just wanted to share my story there, to hopefully motivate you to keep pushing on. If I don't get in this cycle (2nd time), I am not sure if I can afford to try a third or not. And another note, I am 23 - making $10/hour right now is motivation for me to do just about anything I can to get into school.


Good luck!
 
With those grades, I don't think your chances are going to be good.

Honestly there are literally dozens of "what are my chances" threads just in the past few months that you could look through, and there is a sticky at the top of the forum with years worth of people's admissions stats. Search for the schools you are interested in and see what it takes to get in. Look through the forum and see what classes need to be retaken if you gotten bad grades.

If you're GPA is hovering around a 3.0, the rest of your stats better be absolutely stellar...