Be honest, do I even stand a chance? (low gpa).. need a little bit of guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude11315

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I just graduated with a degree in Kinesiology a couple of weeks ago. For a long time, PT is always what I had wanted to do. I thoroughly enjoyed working as an aide and volunteering whenever I could. But, things didn't go as planned (4 years under grad, 3 years grad = 7 years total).

Unfortunately, there were family situations that rose causing me to transfer colleges (covid year), failing / doing terrible on my pre-reqs - which caused me to be in undergrad for 5 years. I'm in no position to apply to PT school because I still haven't taken Bio 2, Chem 2, and Physics 2. I became very demotivated and burned out in undergrad through every thing going on I've considered many career changes and attempted to change my major many times but I know deep down PT is what I want to do. I lie to myself saying, "I'll never be good enough."

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.3, and a prerequisite GPA of 2.7 (failed chemistry twice with a D, passed the third time with a B+). I have over 500 hours spread through different clinics.

The plan now, is to just take a gap year or two and continue working as a tech, and get up that prerequisite GPA. There are times where I feel that my pGPA wouldn't even be raised to a 3. It's causing me to spiral and if anyone has anything to chime in. I would appreciate it, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that you should do whatever you need to do to rack up more hours and figure out how to take those missing (and other) prerequisites. Find some mentors who are PT professionals and perhaps network with some PT students to quell the negative talk in your head. Find some tools to help you be a more effective student in general.

I would also ask what your last 60 hours GPA was? Sometimes schools look at that and weigh that heavier than your cumulative.

Reactions: 1 user